Tapering off paroxetine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone. I've taken a low dose of paroxetine for a whopping 9 years and after a recent major depressive episode, all those involved - psychiatric nurses, counsellors, my GP, - have concluded paroxetine's stopped working for me, - in fact possibly not been working for some time. I was meant to switch to mirtazapine, but didn't take to mirtazapine at all well so stopped that after a few days and I've now finished the taper off paroxetine. so taking the plunge into trying life without any anti-depressant --- which so far I feel good about it, psychologically. (and seeing a therapist to help me with strategies for handling anxiety etc.) Over the last few weeks I've gone gradually from 20 mg to 10 mg then to 5 mg and yesterday for the first time... 0 mg. So, I wanted to ask fellow paroxetine or ex-paroxetine takers -During the whole taper and today, I've been feeling a bit weird - dizzy spells, vivid dreams, night sweats, and the main thing actually  - irritability. (Not ideal, as a I have an 11-year-old daughter.) Has anyone else had these same side-effects of coming off - such as irritation and dizziness? How long did they last? I'm really hoping to hear not too long.... 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Coming off paroxetine was quite possibly THE most difficult thing I’ve ever had to go through. It was shear HELL on earth for me.  so congratulations on getting this far..... it’s does clear from you system eventually... I remember lots of terrible moments coming off the stuff. It had stopped working me me too but it also made me manic for a period so it wasn’t best I ever took it. I became delusional on it. It also GAVE me unexplained anxiety and panic attacks and left me with them until Feb this year 18 months after I stopped seroxat! 😞.  Citalopram is now suppressing those anxiety panics that seroxat gave me all those years ago...... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.