Tastebuds! I guess they have estrogen receptors too.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Is anyone having problems with taste? My tastebuds seem to have taken a vacation. Food doesn't taste as good as it used to. Everything tastes the same. 

?Also is anyone having issues with nausea and just not being hungry? I make myself eat three meals day during the week, but on the weekends I usually only eat one meal a day and it's not because of the nausea, I'm just not hungry. 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yes Juanita taste buds have taken a vacation. I have lost interest in food and sometimes have to make myself eat. I have been nauseated at times and just felt full. Lost about fifteen pounds over a couple of years. Who thought hormones could be responsible?
    • Posted

Yes, I just feel full sometimes. Then I'll feel a little hungry and then when I  get ready to eat I feel full again. I've lost about ten pounds this past year.

• Posted

Yes Juanita, I've got that too.  Food is just something I do!  But the taste?  I've lost that as well.  And yes that hunger thing goes away.  I know HRT doesn't fit you, but I will admit, my hunger comes back with progesterone.  

• Posted

My Lord, who knew? This is why women are so angry during menopause. Hot, hungry, not hungry, health anxiety, dry eyes, depression the list goes on and on.  There was a discussion thread on Kate Spade's suicide and a lot of women felt that between her fight with depression and menopause it was a deadly combination. She was 55 and that's when I started having symptoms, so did my sister.

?Yes, I eat because I need it to survive. I honestly don't eat for enjoyment anymore.

• Posted

Hi, I have lost nearly 40pounds since the start of this, and I drop 2 or 3 more, each week. Water tastes like it has bleach in it, and so many things just taste plain, or plain nasty. I don't mind too much as have been overweight all my adult life due to pcos then steroids so the weight loss is a bonus to me. I find it changes at particular times in the month too. I use corsidyl toothpaste, and mouthwash, and do my teeth everytime I eat anything, and that seems to reduce the nasty soapy taste that I have in my mouth nearly all of the time. I have anti- sickness pills for the nausea, and they also help with the vertigo that I get with this. They are called cinnarizine and there is also cyclizine which is often given to treat nausea caused by strong pain meds like morphine, which can cause sickness in some people. Hope you find this helpful hun. XXX

• Posted

Hi again, I think it varies from person to person what taste they get. I get a soapy taste and certain things taste like they have been contaminated. So we all have our crosses to bear along this wonderful journey. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.