Teeth & IBS

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi - IBS has been a part of life for the last 10 years, but not nearly as bad as some of the dreadful experiences I've read on this forum. I found Symprove to be a huge help, and have learned pretty well to avoid certain trigger foods. However, recently I learned that I may have to have dentures (a riding accident dislodged four teeth, leading to chronic gum disease) and am wondering if anyone has had experience of any problems this might cause with IBS? Read lots recently about what the millions of microbes in the mouth can do to the digestion. Any thoughts, anyone?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Eh?  Teeth and ibs?  I think I'd see your dentist if I was you?  This is not correct!
    • Posted

Thanks for responding, Sam.  What's not correct?  Seems very logical to me, the mouth is the start of the alimentary canal, so why wouldn't whatever goes on in the mouth affect the other end??  For example, if you  have a tooth abscess, think of the poisonous gunk you're swallowing - why wouldn't that have an effect?  If you take an antibiotic to treat the abscess, the antibiotic has an effect!  And I have seen my dentist, she was the person who told me I may have to have dentures.
    • Posted

I apologise if I seem to have got the wrong end of the stick the only thing that may make it possible might be to do with the acid caused through ibs?  Many people seem to suffer from this with ibs.  I will not darken your doors again!
  • Posted

hi thejennyb,

sirry to be respnding so very late.

First I think you are already a few or more steps ahead of possible IBS complications via dentures.Probiotic Symprove and your adroitness to determine possible adverse effects. My sis had similar

dental problem upper 4. She uses an oral probiotic and vsl3. hasn't experienced any adverse effects via IBS. She says to try ones best with masticating..she avoides or manipulates certain foods that are difficult. the oral probiotic is (salivarius)

you might wish to check it..do so via pub med, science daily, and/or plos one.

• Posted

Thejrnnyb,

just a thought...dentures are a PIA..sis consistently complains about not being able to eat as in the past, needs to shave the corn from the cob..even allowing her dentures to hold while her lower's did the hard work...messed up her dentures and had to have them "reworked"...I suggested "implants"...she said her dentist told her she hasn't adequate bone mass or structure? (forgot exactly or she didn't explain it clearly)...I have one implant and in the process of the 2nd..my 9 and 10 or 9 and 8 (my two front teeth)...my dentist says with proper diet, the implant will build bone..and if I wanted to pay some extra $$,  he could graft bone. I paid $1,000 $700 for the implant, and $300 for the crown..but had to travel 665 miles to get it done..not a wise choice if one has the $$ but I don't and want implants vs dentures. Again, just a thought...sis overcame her IBS says she spends less than 40 seconds on the can, every morning after her first of 2 cups of coffee. she's a young 80.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.