Tendon damage from a lateral ligament reconstruction?

Posted , 3 users are following.

For the past 6 weeks since my surgery, I've been having issues with my toes. One points up, one down, and the big toe spasms when bent down.

My surgeon said that there is a tendon in the area of the surgery, but said if it was damaged, it would affect all toes.

I can't find anything online regarding tendon damage caused by surgery, perhaps someone else can find something?

I don't think it will resolve itself, and that makes me wonder if I'll need more surgery.

Any thoughts, questions?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

So sorry to hear this Kristina.  I have not had any issues w/ that but I know it can happen.  A relative of ours had a bimalleolar fx several years ago..  She was a nurse and one of her toes was doing the same thing (just one of yours)- it pointed up and she could not move it.  When she started wearing shoes and eventually went back to work- the surgeon cut the tendon to that toe- she could never move it again but it laid flat and she was able to move around much more comfortably.  It was either her 4th or 5th toe- cannot remember which one...

I hope the surgeon can help you...

• Posted

I don't see him for 3 months, I guess he hopes it will resolve on its own. I don't think it will though.

• Posted

I did some more checking of my toes and the results are alarming. They are all affected which means he did cut the tendon.

The middle 3 toes don't spread apart, the baby toe barely moves, and only the big toe raises up fully.

I see him on Friday for an emergency visit. If he brushes me off again, I am getting a 2nd opinion from a surgeon I trust. I will also be getting my medical records in case I decide to pursue legal action against him.

• Posted

He did brush me off on Friday, saying nothing was wrong. He then got mad when I told him I was going to get a 2nd opinion.

I saw my dr today, and he agreed that a 2nd opinion wouldn't hurt. He checked my toes and saw what I was talking about.

Apparently the surgeon who did my shoulders is an excellent ankle surgeon, so I'll have someone I trust helping me out.

My dr said my surgeon had emailed him after my visit on Friday, said he would still see me if I wanted to return. He said I was upset and miffed. No kidding, I was p*ssed at him.

So I'm looking into filing a complaint against him and maybe taking legal action if he has indeed screwed up my ankle.

When I told him I wanted a 2nd opinion and got mad, he stormed out of the room saying he didn't want me as a patient. Doesn't that sound like an admission of guilt?

• Posted

I am proud of you for speaking up and getting a 2nd opinion.  So sorry you are going thru this but I hope that you can help and it gets resolved. Keep us posted.

jan

• Posted

I will for sure.

I'm working with physio to get walking in the aircast. I've graduated from full time wheelchair use to Walker use.

I will be attempting stairs for the first time in about 2 months. Hopefully that goes well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.