Teresa is home & happy but puzzled.

Posted , 6 users are following.

What can I say ladies but I feel fantastic !

Came out of hospital 6.00 last night.Discharged at 11.45 am but you must be prepared for a long wait for your discharge letter,medication etc.It was probably worse for me coming out on a Fri as they try and get as many patients out by the weekend.We have a patient lounge in our hospital which is nearer the entrance which is then easier for whoever picks you up.I asked to be transferred there in the afternoon.They took me down at 3pm but everything was completed at 5.30pm but it was easier for my Dad to collect me at 6pm.It was about a minutes walk to the entrance which I did ok.A nurse was going to help me with bags but she was so busy talking that I asked the receptionist to keep an eye on the bags and I would get my Dad to run back in for them.Luckily as I got to the entrance he turned up,pulled up and run in quick.Our hospital entrance is normally really bad but he picked a good time.

It wasn't too bad getting in the car.I couldn't reach to open or close the door once seated and the tip about the cushion under the seat belt is good especially when my Dad always finds the bumps and swings me round the roundabouts.Drove past work on the way so stopped by to drop off my certificate.I even got out of the car to personally take it in.They were surprised to see me,wished me well and asked me to give them a weekly call as at the moment I have been signed off for 8 weeks.I was in bed at 9pm and went to sleep quick.Woke up a couple of times in the night and got up to have a stretch.This was a struggle as unfortunately I don't have the luxury of raising the top of the bed like in hospital.I need to work on my pillows better tonight.A pillow across your stomach is great when you are trying to get up.I have come up with a good ideas for the settee and that is I have laid a garden chair mattress across it with a large cushion on top to make it higher.My Dad has moved a low heavy coffee table over and put a higher fold up table instead which is easier.I have dropped many things on the floor so far and he has run round behind me picking it all up.I have received lots of lovely cards and I had a lovely bouquet from a work colleague delivered.

I cannot really describe how I feel but a little slow,bloated,windy but no pain.I thought I would be washed out and still in bed but completely opposite.Fair enough I'm not dressed but who cares.i have written out a daily pill checklist to make sure that I take them at the right time each day.I have come away with16 tablets to take a day.i am hungry and can't wait for my fish and chips dinner.(the food in hospital was horrible)The reason that I am puzzled is that if they have removed a 2.8kg fibroid why do I not weigh any less? I was excited to get on the scales this morning but I soon got upset when I saw that I weighed the same.I joked with my Dad that they took it out,weighed it and put it back again or replaced it with something else.By the way I had staples(not sure how many) but I have to see a nurse at my surgery on Weds to have them removed but the funny thing is that there have given me a pair of staple removers to take these with me as doctor surgeries don't have these.I will have a outpatients follow up appointment between 6-8weeks.

I just hope that all you ladies due to have the same op as me can have a happy and pleasant experience like I have had so far.I know that I will probably get bad days aswell but I really thought the first week would be the worst and have no energy and be in agony.Even the stairs is a doddle.Don't worry I know what I can do and I will behave.It is so nice to feel like this,relax while the sun is shining and not worry about anything especially the thought of going back to work yet.Sorry I have gabbled on a bit but I am so pleased to share my experience and I look forward to any questions I can answer.

Take care and thanks again for all your support.

luv

Teresa

xxx

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Teresa

I am so happy that you are home and feel comfortable.  Your message has helped to put a lot of my fears about this surgery to rest.  I have an appointment on Monday - I am hoping to try other less invasive methods first but at least I know if those options are not suitable for me a hysterectomy is not as scary as I originally thought.

Good luck with the rest of your recovery and I look forward to hearing more of your journey.

• Posted

I had to have an abdominal due to the size of my fibroids.Do you have fibroids? If you don't mind me asking how old are you as age makes a lot of difference with any op.I am 45 and another lady who was 62 went  in the same day as me with fibroids aswell and hoping for keyhole surgery but when I saw her on Fri she also had an abdominal and had felt  dreadfull since day one.She had no energy,lots of pain and so amazed to see how well I looked.I am over weight so I thought that would make things worse aswell.
    • Posted

I was diagnosed with fibroids in December - the largest is 7cm.  I had been  suffering with heavy periods for 3 years but things got a lot worse about 6 months ago.  I have a variety of symptoms during the month ranging from abdominal tenderness/cramping that makes it hard to walk at times - extreme tiredness -  swelling in legs - headaches - erratic mood swings etc - the list goes on.  I am 44 and finished having my family but I have a 10 year old child at home so I really don't want to be recuperating for a long period of time.  I am a single mother and most of my family live in Canada. 

I am a wimp when it comes to pain so hearing that you are not suffering too badly has made me feel better.  So if a hysterectomy is what I need to get better then I will just have to work it out somehow.  I guess I will know more on Monday.

• Posted

I never had any real symptoms apart from periods were sometimes every 3 weeks instead of my usual 4 week cycle that was like clockwork.They seemed to get heavier in the last 6 or 7 months.I have felt tired for a long time and I am always bloated as I suffer from IBS.To be sent for a scan for a hernia and find out that I had fibroids that might result in a hysterectomy was a shock and I only found out less than 6 months ago which I thought was quick to have the op considering I had to have injections for 3 months to help.

xxx

• Posted

Hi, just saw your post. Hope all goes well for you. I have 11 year old and 8 year old so was dreading surgery, yes the full open abdo op. But my daughter, the oldest was very helpful , my son , not so great!!! My husband had some time off but I was on my own after first week at home although was leaving heavy stuff to him. If you really have no support then try speaking to gp or contacting social services as you probably will need some help. If you have open abdo op you will have to take it easy. I tried to do too much and had problems with bleeding so my husband then told me off and made me sit on sofa for next 2 days. Some things just got left and online shopping was a godsend! Take care. 
    • Posted

Hi,

Thanks for your post. I will talk to my doctor about the best procedure for me on Monday. If it is hysterectomy then I will try and put some support in place, hopefully friends can help out or my mother can travel over here to help.

Good luck with the rest of your recovery and hope you start sleeping better soon.

• Posted

So glad your back at home now and recovering well I'm still I think the word is a little manic about mine but as the time is drawing nearer I'm just waiting for it to be done. Thank you for the tips ref the pillows I will def be using them. I will keep busy in the week doing housework and changing the beds and packing my bag ready.  Had my pre op last week and all good to go second blood test on Wednesday. Well done Teresa your doing great God bless. Xxxx
    • Posted

I will try not to interesting though as I'm also overweight and wondering how heavy my 18 cm fibroid will be and if I will weigh lighter after. I will ask them how heavy it is yours was massive. Your words are very comforting thanks. Xxx
    • Posted

Please check for me if 2.8kg sounds right or would they have meant 2.8lb and then the fact is that I have just put that weight back on being less mobile and eating naughty snacks.My fibroid was 20cm.The trouble is how do you know the parts have been removed that they said they would?

xxx

• Posted

Carnt wait to eat naughty snacks I've been very good since February as my surgeon told me I needed to lose weight before surgery. when they do the hysterectomy they take out the fibroids at the same time so at least you are fibroid free now. How did you feel when you first woke up from surgery? Did you know what was happening? I just wondered because when I had dc and hystercopy I woke up feeling fine but I was only out for 30 mins I gather I won't be so lively after my op. Xxxx
    • Posted

I had my op at 5pm.I remember waiting outside the theatre ready for the general but I don't remember it being given to me.They told me that I was in the recovery room about 6.20pm but I never went to the ward until 9.30pm.I was very drosy that I don't remember being taken to the ward but once I arrived the nurses were straight round me.They did the usual obs with your blood pressure etc about hr or less.I was drifting away and the next thing was my arm was being lifted again to take my blood pressure.The wrap was left loose round my arm all night.As the checks were done I remember having my eyes closed and just let them get on with what they needed to do.

When I woke up the next morning I found out not only did I have a catheter but a drain and I was on oxygen which I had been on all night aswell.I also had 2.5 pints of saline drip.I wasn't sick or felt sick.I still felt heavy eyed for a while.Everything was removed by 11am and I got up shortly afterwards with not much help.

xxx

• Posted

I hope I go down before 5 seems like a long wait they won't me in at 8am Friday so I'm hoping I'm done in the morning as I can only have sips of water after 12 and before 7 I will tell my hubby to visit me in the evening. I hope my recovery will be like yours and at least I carnt worry to much as its sounds like I'm going to be drowsy. Sorry to be a pain I was told I would have my overies removed as well but she never mentioned hrt and I'm 49 years old I'm assuming I will need it? And thanks. Xxx
    • Posted

I had my ovaries removed,it was my choice.HRT was going to be started yesterday but the pharmacist told me that it would be best for  my doctor to arrange this.I asked a colleague if you have to have it and she said that if you don't your bones can be affected.I will probably speak to my doctor in a week or two as I also need to see her to try and sort out the referral now for my hernia as I know that I will be waiting a few weeks to see the next consultant.You will need hrt to you are about 52
    • Posted

Thanks Hun you have really eased my mind and I won't keep bothering you with more questions take it easy now and get plenty of rest. Xxx
    • Posted

Thanks Jardine.

Any time I can be of help it will be a pleasure.While in hospital I actually gave this forum address out to other patients so it could help them aswell.

Hear from you soon

xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.