Terrible physical symptoms! Side effects!?!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been on lexapro for over 1/2 a year and take klonopin when needed. However, recently I have been feeling terrible! As in head aches, nausea, constipation, acid reflux and major fatigue. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms? I've been having these symptoms for about a week. Any thoughts, or help!

0 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

• Posted

I have. The past week I've had a horrible headache, and extremely tired but can't seem to fall asleep. I also have been having dizziness. This all is anxiety, has the lexapro stopped working? I was on it for over 6 months at one point and it just stopped working and then easy off meds for awhile when I started Pristiq 50mg and it helped a lot more and never had to up my dose.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

i think it might have actually stopped working. I went to see my general doc and he said to go to a pyschiatrist to see if I was on the right meds and change them if I wasnt, so it could very well be that it just stopped working. the reason i dont want to change my meds right now, is because im afraid of withdrawl and if it will increase my anxiety. And also that the new medciine is gonna take 3 months to reach its fulll affect. so i put off going to the pyschiatrist because of this.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I know everyone is different but myself and a couple of my friends I know that have been on lexapro never had the withdrawals. I've been on three different types and my prsitq is the only one I had anything with and it's only headaches. I would go see who they want you to see and jist get their option. I had to do it and it truly helped. I wish I had the time now or I'd keep going.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I have said this before and will repeat it.  I am not a psychiatrist nor do I attempt to practice medicine,  I have however managed psychiatric programs and had the best as well as worst psychiatrists on my teams.  Just because something is prescribed, doesn't mean it will work for you.  Everyone's body chemistry is different as are the reactions within that chemistry.  Psychiatry also is not an exact science.  I do however highly respect it.  Many shrinks try their damdness at symptom resolution but go through a series of trials until something sticks and works.  Also, if you don't like what your medication is doing for you, you can always seek a second opinion.  Intelligent shrinks will have specific cocktails for specific illnesses.  Sometimes it takes many trials to get it right.  Have a heart to heart talk with your shrink about this. If you find yourself being stacked with many different meds you probably need a second opinion.  The most important thing you can do is thoroughly discuss your shrink's mode of practice with them in an initial consult.  
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Also--when attending a Petit Rounds at the beginning of my career led by Stuart Yudofsky, one of the foremost names in modern psychiatry, he discussed his response he had to patients who claimed medication side effects.  He would respond with "Good, it means the medication is working"
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Your discussion seems a little contradictory to me, because you went from talking about changing medication, how its trial and error, but then you quoted that guy at the end. That confused me a little about how you felt about the subject. But reffering to the first paragraph, that is what i was perscribed to do. I was just afraid of withdrawl and starting a new med again.... but trial and errror like you said, its not  a one pill fits all type of illness. Thanks for your help 
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up