Terrified I have pancreatic cancer..worry is ruining my life

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi every one. I am a 20 year old female who has been experiencing consistent pain under my left rib cage. I would actually classify it as more of a discomfort than a pain. The discomfort has also radiated into my back and feels like a burning nerve pain in my back. I have also been noticing other signs of pancreatic disorders such as itchy skin, fatigue, nausea, weight loss, appetite loss, and pale fatty stools. These symptoms have been occurring for about 6 months now. I had a CT scan about 5 months ago that came back clear but am still having all the symptoms mentioned above. I have been to the doctor too many times, and they just turn me away and say it’s gas issues or anxiety. I am very worried that I have pancreatitis or worse, pancreatic cancer. I have been haunted by the fact that I may have pancreatic cancer for months now. It is ruining my life. This anxiety is awful. I am so scared I have terminal cancer and will die at such a young age..How can I completely rule any pancreatic disorders out? How can I convince my doctor to take me seriously? Does it sound like I have pancreatic disorders/even cancer? Any help is much appreciated, thank you

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Did you Google the symptoms? I had the same issue. Only on my right side but I only had 2 symptoms. But when you Google symptoms its natural for your brain and body to start feeling all these symptoms. That is what anxiety does. It's all about fear and right now that is what you have anxiety (fear). If you had a tumor within your pancreas it would have shown up on your ct scan. I had an MRI for my abdomen due to other issues as well but they ruled out pancreatic cancer with the MRI and with blood work. You can get blood work done and ask that they check I think c19 or something like that. My doctor did it. I'm in the US not sure if your in the UK but I have heard it can be hard there to get some doctors to listen. But I honestly think you are having really bad anxiety especially if you googled some of your symptoms.

• Posted

Hi Kate, getting a blood test done would be a good idea as they can detect a number of deficiencies. You could be suffering from anaemia, vitamin deficiency or a number of things that can be easily treated but cancer of the pancreas at your age must be highly unlikely. Anxiety is very good at convincing us of the most unlikely reasons rather than the most likely!
  • Posted

Kate,

Have you had an endoscopy to look at the stomach and part of small intestine? I had your exact symptoms last November and the endoscopy reveal that I had gastritis. The pain in the back is referred pain from the stomach area with gastritis. I had that.

The CT SCAN would have shown something but it didn’t. Trust that.

Doctors see patients every day with your symptoms and know when to do further testing.  

If you have had symptoms for 6 months related to the pancreas, you’d be very ill by now. Pancreatic cancer isn’t as common as you may think and it happens mostly in people who drink and smoke a lot .

So relax and trust the test.  

Ask your doctor for  an endoscopy . You need to visit a gastroenterologist for that.

I lost 25 pounds, couldn’t eat, foul, weird looking  stool, pain under left rib, bad indigestion, radiating back pain , fatigue. 

Im ok now just have to watch what I eat.

Avoid spicy, dairy, carbs, pop, caffeine, alcohol., red meat, chocolate  (All acids). 

I eat now smaller portions and more alkaline foods like vegetables, apples, lettuce, avocado,lots of salads.

Look up online which foods are alkaline .

Gastritis is very common so see if you can get tested for it. Stress can cause it.

Theres a few other non serious things it could be too. 

Take Care!!🌸🌸🌸

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.