Terrified I will have a heart attack?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone. I must start by saying I have bad GAD and bad health anxiety to the point where I worry about my health and about dying from health issues every day. Lately my new area of focus to worry about is my heart. I am terrified that I will have a heart attack and die. I was out with my friends a few nights ago and had all the symptoms of a heart attack; chest pain, dizziness, pain and numbing in left arm, back pain and tingling, etc. I thought I was having a heart attack for sure. It eventually went away but I’ve had a few more spells since. I am a 20 year old female and the only heart conditions in my family have been my grandpa who had a heart attack when he was 70 and survived and my brother who had Wolfe-Parkinson’s White syndrome but is now cured. How likely is it that I will have a heart attack? I had an EKG about a year ago that came out normal. Should I order more tests to put my mind at ease? Thank you 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Kate,

I had the exact same symptoms you described but I also had a lot of adrenaline or warm flushes throughout my body. I was really convinced that I had a heart attack 3 months ago. I did a whole bunch of test, ekg, blood work, chest X-ray, 24hr Holter monitor, stress echo and even a ct coronary angiogram which all came back normal. I was told that I probably had a panic attack but it is hard to accept it. I have recently been trying not to think about it and seem to be getting better. It is a long process but try to move on and keep yourself distracted. Goodluck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.