Terrified it could be cancer

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have had reflux Gerd issues for a couple years . But also suffer from costochondritis. Lately my throat has been very sore and tender . Did have lump feeling too bit that's eased . I have a freezing cold feeling in my mouth too. Bit now I'm getting pain in my sternum area and left side ribs . But the sternum area is the worse and I'm thinking could it actually be the oesophagus that's causing the pain and not the costo and if so then maybe oesophagus cancer as can't think what else would make the oesophagus cause pain . I'm 54 and lately have stopped spicy foods and fried too

But I still smoke about 5 a day . But if I try to stop and use vape it makes throat worse but now the cigs are too so need to cut them out too . Does anyone else have these symptoms

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I've had them: 

- lump in throat

- Pain at about the 4th rib that feels sometimes sensitive to the touch and was even once dx'd as Costochondritis

-  Cold feeling in my mouth. (Actually throat for me. A slight cold feeling that seems to come out of nowhere.) 

Could it be cancer? Maybe. Unlikely, but possible. Thoughts:

1. Stop smoking. Cigs. Vape. Both. Stop it. 

2. I thought mine was costochondritis, too. NOPE. GERD. It may be in your case, I don't know. But if it comes back often it's more likely GERD. 

3. Your esophagus can hurt for a lot of reasons that aren't cancer. Inflammation is a big one. In fact, it's far more likely than cancer. But inflammation leads to cancer when left untreated. SO....

Go see a doctor. I know it's scary. But it's better to know than not. Ignorance leads to fear. Knowledge leads to action. Will it be any scarier if it's cancer and you don't know it?

No. The answer is no. No one was ever spared cancer by being kept ignorant of the fact.

But frankly, yours doesn't sound like cancer. It sounds like a situation that CAN develop into cancer if you don't do something about it right now, though. Start by going to a doctor. Request an endoscopy. (They'll probably offer one, anyway.) 

Best of luck. 

• Posted

I have a endoscopy booked for the 24th of this month . I am a Gerd sufferer anyway so your right I need to stop . I've woke up this morning and my whole throat is sore and hurts when I move my neck too

• Posted

Ps just hope it's not too late as I'm a Gerd sufferer and have been for a while

• Posted

Hi Ray,

Ditto to everything Norb has said, go see the GP worry will only make it worse.

There are other things that can cause pain and a lumpy feeling in the throat ie, Thyroid and para thyroid sit in your neck, simple blood tests will rule them out.

best wishes

Linda.

• Posted

Hi linda and thanks . My endoscopy is booked . Nervous but know it has to be done .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.