Terrified that I have Genital Herpes

Posted , 5 users are following.

I foolishly had unprotected sex. A day or two later, I started experiencing tingling in the gential area, I do not recall any itching unless I touched the surrounding area but overall it was not itchy at all. I didn't notice any sores or lesions also. The tingling also sometimes extended to the butt area so basically the whole areas, then it progressed to mild burning and sometimes I'd experience random jabs or pins and needles one side of the vagina then the other but overall it was generalized burning. Urination has never been painful. I also have experience random tingling around my whole body, I dunno if that's linked or due to anxiety, it was pretty constant during one week and less so recently, so recently it's basically for the most part been mild burning and aching on a consistent basis, sometimes it feels like it's just at the opening of the vagina, other times it feels like the whole genital area. It just basically feels like my whole vagina is irritated, it's never really been painful or itchy but it's the fact that it's so constant that it's annoying and very nerve wracking. I did notice that I had two pimples on the mon pubis, on opposites of the vagina, they were never painful to the touch, I actually popped one and a white pus came out so I dunno if that could be an indication of herpes or just a regular pimple??? No sores or leasions or pimples have appeared on the inner vagina lips, labia or buttocks. I have had these symptoms for over a month now and it's really starting to scare me.I saw two different doctors and they both believe I don't have herpes. I started taking medication for a yeast infection but the meds don't seem to be working and I have also been tested for other STIs and the tests came back negative. My doctor is referring me to a gynocologist, and I'm just so anxious and I keep googling my symptoms and I just need a peace of mind!! I also have not experienced any flu-like symptoms.

I've also read online that you can experience an outbreak without visible sores sad

Any insight anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I doubt it's herpes. Tingling alone does not mean herpes. An IgG test for herpes at 3 months post exposure can indicate if you have it.

• Posted

Thank you for the response! The majority of my symptoms starting going away last week which is a plus. I am still very anxious but I will be seeing a gynocologist next week and then I'll go from there. My only concern is if I'm being misdiagnosed due to atypical herpes symptoms. I will be sure to post any results that I recieve in the future smile 

• Posted

Okay so I started freaking out! I saw a gyno at the beginning of April, and he also believed I had no signs of HSV based on my symptoms. During this visit, which was around 7/8 weeks post exposure, I took an IgM and Igg blood test, I know that's early but I thought why not. The igg test was not completed because it was sent to the wrong lab, the only one completed was igm and it came back positive saying I did have anitbodies, but no number value was given. I've read in multiple places that the igm is pretty much useless but I am still anxious. So I paid to take the appropriate testing (IgG blood test) at 10/11 weeks post exposure. The results were positive for HSV1 and negative for HSV2. No numerical value was given so now I am kinda confused because i have experienced atypical symptoms in the genital area as well as the mouth area, but no full blown herpes symptoms. Should I just assume I have it in both areas? as I have never been tested for HSV in the past, it also is possible that it could be an old oral infection? I am just so distraught, confused and upset by all this! It just seems never ending, like I can never get a clear answer. Like I don't even know how to go about telling future partners like I may or may not have genital herpes, maybe both, just oral, oh man!

• Posted

HSV1 is very common. Many people have it orally without symptoms, which is likely your case. It could well be an old infection. I honestly wouldn't worry about it. The symptoms you describe are vague and do not scream herpes. gHSV1 usually causes a pretty nasty first outbreak, worse than gHSV2. If you feel vaginal tingling and are still worried about it being genital herpes, get an internal pcr swab. If negative, the tingling is unlikely related.

• Posted

Thanks again for your response, you have put me at ease! My vaginal tingling progressed to constant vaginal burning as well as ocassional burning in the thighs as well as my lips burning here and there, and this was happening for over two months. I recently have just started to feel kind of normal. I guess the only way I could find out if it was genital or oral, or both, I would need to experience an outreak? 
    • Posted

Ideally, yes, but if you are experiencing other symptoms due to herpes, you would expect shedding (even without lesions), and a sensitive test like the pcr swab should pick it up. So, if you have tingling and burning that you worry is due to herpes, you can try to get it pcr swabbed for confirmation.
    • Posted

Alright, I will look into that, thank you!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.