Thank you Christina!

Posted , 3 users are following.

im new to this. I've suffered with social phobia, blushing and anxiety attacks all my life. It's got less severe with age but there are a lot of social situations I avoid for fear of the above. It ruined my life when I was younger and I dropped out of so many college courses, social events etc to avoid my embarrassment. I hate and my kids have unfortunately inherited it. I want to help them not go through the pain and avoidance I went through. I drank for years to help and it did. Unfortunately my drinking got out of control and I can't drink now. Anyway that's some of my story and I look forward to hearing from fellow sufferers. Bye for now..Annie

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have been anxious all my life too.At the moment my health anxiety is at the highest level and I start on med
  • Posted

Hello again Annie

I am an older lady who has suffered with anxiety all my life.  One aspect is being unable to speak in front of an audience or group, which is ridiculous, as I write poetry and reports and did Accountancy work all my life.  I love the English Language and had a good education.  In large social groups I am OK and can mix with people now, although at one time I was very shy. That certainly changed over the years, but I still cannot be the focus of attention.....my heart pounds and blood comes rushiing to my face and neck when I have to speak or read.  People cannot understand me!   I have had other issues due to anxiety and also many of the symptoms others write about on this site.  However, I have led a very full life, travelled across the world many times, so take heart.  There are "bad patches" for us all.  I take meds long term, which helps.  I could go on forever, but not in this post.  Keep posting.

• Posted

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it. I hope you can tell me more when it's not so late and you've time. It's good to have someone who understands what it's like. I Must say the seroxat has made a difference so will carry on with them. Bye for now
  • Posted

Hello Annie

Yes, I will keep in touch if you wish.....I could write so much.  As it is late, I won't write any more now.......Keep calm & positive. x

• Posted

Hello again, Annie

Just a few random thoughts about our postings....

Yes, I agree anxiety traits run in families.  I have four amazing children, all very grown up now, and they are all extremely intelligent, hardworking and have wonderful children of their own.  However, I am aware that in some ways they have these traits insomuch that although they have made good in their own right they need constant reassurance that they and their own children are doing OK.

Another instance is that both myself and my lovely daughter have always had fears of all things medical.  However, my daughter turned this around when as a qualified Secretary she was offered a position as Medical Secretary at our local hospital.  I could not believe this!  Now, many years later she is a very successful Practice Manager at a Health Centre and is held in very high esteem by the doctors there!  So it can be done by sheer discipline!  All for now, as I don't want to bore you....just trying to give an insight.......Keep smiling.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.