Thankful firsts

Posted , 6 users are following.

It is so easy to dwell on the negatives of cataracts and things one misses - particularly if you experience them younger than you ever thought you would.   Although I am almost a year out from surgeries I still think about eyesight every day - perhaps it’s not something I will ever take for granted or there will be days where I don’t think about the what ifs still to come. 

But today is a day to be thankful.  Went to my first 3D movie since the surgeries and was completely awestruck with the fact I could put on a pair of 3D glasses on my face that I didn’t have to keep repositioning over another pair of eye glasses.   I used to avoid 3D movies - finding the glasses a real distraction.

Anyone else struck by new experiences they now find enjoyable glasses free?

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I couldn't agree more Su.An,

my first cataract op was November last year.  It was diagnosed in the June, but within a couple of months it was so dense that I was totally blind in that eye and I decided to stop driving.  The surgeon said it would be a difficult operation and it was, but afterwards was just amazing,  I could see and was able to drive again.

My second cataract op was in February, again a complete success.  I've always had to wear glasses for reading and a different pair for driving, now I don't need glasses at all.  One happy bunny.  cheesygrin

• Posted

Oh dear,  I really have no idea.  I just went along with what the surgeon said.  It was at a private hospital, but funded by the NHS in England.

• Posted

A coworker of mine had his cataract surgery 6+ months ago.  He had monofocal lenses and has since retired.  He was visiting today and I tested his vision again as I had earlier.  He can now see 3 feet out to infinity.  2 weeks post surgery he could see 5 feet out to infinity.  He was very happy.  He has had YAG plus some other procedure to adjust his lenses.  He also had vitrectomy done during his cataract surgery.  He is using +2 readers.  And has no night time issues.
    • Posted

That is excellent!  Something to consider - especially if it eliminates night vision issues.  Saturn was visible on the sky last night.  My daughter and husband said there was no halo ring around it when I asked as that is what I saw.
    • Posted

Mars, Saturn and Venus were visible and big for last few days. 

Do you see concentric circles around the stars and planets?

Currently I see them in multiple with one eye and with two tails in another eye. 

• Posted

Star and planet gazing has been great.

I didn’t see concentric circles around Saturn but did see thin line of light around that planet which both my family members did not so I assumed it was IOL related. Saturn is orange in vomit so wondering if the colour had something to do with the halo effect.  The others and stars being white did not have a halo effect.  But no concentric circles around any of them - perhaps too far away?

• Posted

It is ironic that the ring would only be around Saturn.  You have telescopic vision 20/20000. biggrin

• Posted

Sorry I mean 20/0.000002.
    • Posted

Ha ha - to be honest when I first asked my husband about Saturn he thought I was asking him if he saw the rings around Saturn.  I had to clarify that.  

Sure wish I had vision that good though.

It was an odd halo though - one I hadn’t experienced.  It was a fine line of dots around the light circle - not a solid line.

Sure is cool to see an orange planet though (unless my colours are off too!!! )

• Posted

I have seen Saturn as orange only through the telescope otherwise it appears fluorescent to me.  I can see a tinge of red only on Mars without the telescope. 

I miss star gazing since both eyes are affected for night time light.

• Posted

Hopefully it will be something you enjoy again Soks.  Any date set for your surgery or are you still deciding on a surgeon and lens?

For me Saturn definitely had an orange glow. Should get a telescope to have a look.  Now I am curious with IOLs if there would be halos or it would be more natural looking.  A few on forums have questioned colours being true which has me wondering.  I do know with cataracts everything had a yellow-brown tone that I hadn’t noticed till after first surgery and I could compare.   Was particularly noticeable with whites.  White was brilliantly white again after first IOL was implanted.

• Posted

I have GOT to get off my lazy tuckus and check out the sky!
  • Posted

One very happy camper here, too. Although mine was more for the vision, cataracts were starting and it was as good a time as any. Without rehashing everything, I honestly stare out the window every day, amazed at how sharp everything now is. My only "problem" is concentric circles show up from time to time, but the doc says that this should eventually disappear. Excuse the medical terminology stupidity on my part, but something about larger bags inside my eyes because I was a high myopic and these will slowly shrink. Since I had  much, much worse with my contacts, meh, no biggie! Even if not, the 99.9% wow-just-effing-amazing vision is well worth it. I was so miserable before and now I see everything clearly. I simply glance at something bright and they disappear. Night time driving is not an issue at all. So, yes, I don't dwell on the negative, such as it is.

I have to know...does anyone else now cry when they slice onions when they never did before? It makes me laugh so hard that it happens because I have to toss on my sunglasses. I can't even imagine what that looks like.

• Posted

Hi - I cried slicing onions before the surgeries too but then my issue was cataracts.  Perhaps it may be related to another eye issue?

Glad you are enjoying the view!

• Posted

I believe you have the LISA.  So the concentric circles are not always seen?  Or do you see them in traffic and for red brake lights?
    • Posted

GM, soks. Oh, no...they're just every now and then when I hold my head at an angle in dimmer lights. They're definitely lessening, plus I'm training myself to just change the angle. I don't have any night issues, so far. Lights seem the same. Pls remember I had high prescription contacts, so they were worse

• Posted

Note to self:  don't hit send button until done!

That was supposed to read:  Pls remember I had high prescription contacts, so they were worse than any concentric circles could ever be. It's such a small trade-off.

• Posted

I kind of look forward to more updates from you. Your premium lenses are recommended for artists and accountants, and in Europe surgeons favour trifocals over the EDOF lenses.

@Sue.An, although my vision is not as razor sharp as hubby's Symfony lenses, I am watching the sky and the birds through binoculars without the irritating spectacles in the way. Every time as I switched off the computer, I habitually reached out to remove my specs but they were not there. Those and many more .. .. .. when I count my blessings, I count them twice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.