That didn't last long!

Posted , 5 users are following.

So had my endo check up today, it's been 10 weeks since the last set of stats that had me euthyroid and I had my dose reduced from 15 to 10mg Carbimazole. Over the last few weeks it's been increasingly difficult to keep the weight I lost from being super hyper. I have also started having high diastolic blood pressure readings with my pulse being anywhere from 40 to 60 bpm. I have a stiff neck too (but it's getting better). So my natural assumption coming into the meeting was I'm going hypo. And reduced my dose myself from 10 to 5mg.

My test results today were:

was            now

TSH -0.05         0.67      [normal range  0.4 - 5.5]

FT3  6.1            3.7       [normal range 3-6]

FT4   18.7         10.1     [normal range 11-26]

After much huffing and puffing and eyerolling from the consultant - there's no love lost between us - he conceded that I shoul be at 5mg and predicted that this will be my maintenance dose for 12-14 months...I will reserve judgement on that until the January results.

My goal is to not gain all 3 stone that I lost back so far I have put a stone of it back on with excercise and dieting. The thing is I've always been able to lose weigfht effectively (just too lazy and greedy to maintain the weight loss usually) With the lower dose I hope to get back on an even keel. I just want to maintain my size but it's impossible even with only being slightly hypo! 

Give me hyper any bloody day!

Just sharing my experiences in the hope that it helps others out there!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

That's a brave move, the difficulty is that they have to follow protocols, and  get the tests done,  we have to follow our instincts.  You will have to wait and see I am sure but good you have shared this.  Particuarly interesting about bp as mine also altered after being hyper.
    • Posted

Hi

I am sub clinical hyper but untreated.

You wrote....

Particuarly interesting about bp as mine also altered after being hyper.

I noticed that my blood pressure increased as well.Actually it did not respond to anti hypertensive meds .

Pat pls would you tell me what happened to yoour blood pressure? Did you have a problem with it previously before being diagnosed with hyper I mean. Lucy

• Posted

My bp was raised after being diagnosed with hyperthyroidism my thyroid settled to within normal range after a few months but was kept on the med for a year, 5 mg towards end of year. This was 10 years ago. I expected a reoccurrence but not as yet, hopefully not again. Bp rose and still not settled started med for bp last. Year. It is mostly normal at home but not elsewhere.
  • Posted

My bp went up with being hyper to around 85, now on block and replacement and bpm approx 55.  Not on any medication for blood pressure.  B & R = 30 mg carbimazole and 100mg thyroxine daily.I'm in the UK. I felt better hyper with loads of energy, now back to normal thyroid readings, apart from the TSH which is still unreadable. Have put on 2stone, not as much energy now, but seem to have stabilised somewhat.biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.