The "Bend" - how do I get there?????

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am in week 5 post op.  When I first came out I had two consecutive visits from OT and could achieve some bend in my knee.   I was never measured and since joining this site this week have learned how.   Although my recovery is fairly good judging by most of you.   How can I redress the balance and work on achieving a better bend.

I have learnt more from this site than from any of the professionals involved and I am dissapointed with the lack of OT support.  

I go for my 6 wk check this Friday and have made a list of issues I wish to tackle - e.g how do I access OT support, should I buy a static bike?

I havent got loads of money so I have to be careful where I spend.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have just kept pushing myself each day. Working on exerciseing and building up the muscles around the knee. I ice pack regular, through the day.

But I find in the physio class I attended, each person has different bend results each week. So I am doing my own agenda, rather than week this you should do this.

All the best Lynn

• Posted

Morning Robert

I would like some bend at all!!!!.   No that is an exaggeration!   I can slightly.  I feel as though I am doing things very ad hoc though.  Since joining this group I realise the importance and relief of icing - nothing was mentioned to me about this.   I had been cutting down on my medication as I found the general daily and nightly pain copeable.   But this has meant that I could not cope with all the exercises and may have allowed myself not to push with some exercises.  I am now going to up the meds and push harder - I hope.

I am in Birmingham UK and under the ROH which is supposed to one of the best - at the moment the support for me makes this debateable.

best wishes

• Posted

I live in Walsall UK. I was lucky my Doctor put me through Little Aston, rather than Walsall Manor Hospital. Which they do so many NHS list each week. I cannot fault them. I have just carried on each day, pushing myself unless my body said different.

All the best Lynn.

• Posted

Hi Lynn hope you get well soon, keep at it and you will get there like many on here and myself have. Tuesday 4/5/16 was 6 weeks since my opp and was suppose to attend the physio 3 weeks after the opp but got the dates wrong and had to rebook because they could not fit me in so I decided to go it alone myself, I kept massaging my leg and doing the excersizes and improved imensly, I can bend my knee fully but I have a gap of 2 fingers under my knee when I try to straigthen it which I will correct by the time my next appointment is due in 5 weeks time from today 11/05/16.

The main reason for a reply to is to tell you so you will not be dissapointed when you attend your appointment on Friday.

I like you had a few questions to ask but when my name was called to be seen to I went in expecting to see the man himself but he was not there, the person who saw to me was the physio person that saw others and myself prior to the opp, any way I asked him several questions which some he could not answer, I then said to him, why am I seeing you and not the gentleman thatdan did the opp, his reply was he is seeing some one else.

Then whilst my   leg was up on the bed with a rolled up towel under my heal he asked me several questions and finaly said we will see you in 6 weeks time.

I was very dissapointed, I expected to be seen by the man himself.

Good Luck

• Posted

Morning Federico

I dont know what to say to that - seems daft not to see the man who did the work.

I am really determined to achieve a better bend and will not rush.  Yes we all heal and achieve at differing rates but I feel as though I am groping in the dark and just 'having a go'.   I can straighten my leg flat with no problems now.   so my questions will include - are there other things I can do or should I do more of...........?

This group has given me so much information and it worries me that there are others out there who like me would just drift until necessity and knowing that things are not right causes us to search the internet.

Good luck with your recovery you sound so positive!

• Posted

I just spent 6 weeks in pt 3 X's a week. I too was not achieving the bend I needed. My surgery was 3/18 and I had manipulation done on 4/27. 3 days after the mua the bend was there but it soon was list. The pt worked too aggressively on my leg. He jammed my leg every time I was there. At times I was brought to tears. It swelled and was so painful my dr pulled me from pt for 3 days. I decided I needed to find a new pt person . Monday was my first day with Bob. He said until I strengthen the muscles - quad and ham string I won't get range of motion. He said my muscles were weak. After 6 weeks of pt! I was not happy. So the first visit I layed on a table. Towel rolled up under my knee. Squeezed my quad and ham string while pushing the back of my knee into the towel. He had me stop all exercises I had been doing ( all wrong he said). And wants me to strengthen the muscles first. He measured after first visit I was at 80. I had never been above 65. Muscle strengthening seems to be first and foremost. Then everything else will fall into place.
    • Posted

Thank you so much - I am now after pt support from the hospital!
    • Posted

Lynn,  you. At exactly where I was in recovery.  Once flat...then you have to strengthen you muscles to get your bend.  Squats holding onto chair...do not let you knees come over feet..squat back like you are going to sit in chair.  10 per set, 2 sets a day.  Stand in front of counter...raise up on toes...same 10 per set 2 sets a day.  Also the pushing down exercise Linlee mentioned.  Leg lifts....do mine in bed.  Tighten thigh and lift leg 6 to 8 inches off bed hold for 3 count...2 sets 10  2 times a day.  Once you get used to these...which will be a while...then add 2 of each till you work up to 20 per set.  Take time adding...I added 5 of each and over did it.  Also, I got a large rubber strip from physical therapist....I tied it to the step post in the house and do stretches....band around ankle on back...tighten thigh muscle...pull band backwards...then turn around and do them forward..tighten thigh muscle first.....then put both feet inside and operated leg on outside pull out to side.....started with 5 of each 2 sets a day.  I also walked outside daily as weather permitted.  Broke a band....so you can take an old t-shirt that is stretchy and cut a band...may need to tie two pieces...just knot it hard...if no post to use....then shut a knot in the door.  

These are the exercises I did at PTherapy and in 2 weeks my bend doubled.  Then I borrowed a stationary bike and added it to routine...if u get one start at 6 minutes. Only one time a day.

hope this helps.

pam

• Posted

Pam thank you for these exercises. I'm looking to add strengthening to my new pt regiment. My muscles are weak from 6 weeks of poor pt with therapist. Thank you again. Hopefully I will be progressing now.
    • Posted

Linlee,  you are welcome.  I found it interesting that these exercises seemed so easy to me.  I started them at 5 weeks po.  But they work.  Prior my in home PT had me put cups on the floor and step over them also....8 solo cups....the plastic throw always.  Set them in groups of 2 just far enough apart to step over....go over 4 times each way.  Then stand beside them and step over side to side same 4 times each way,  next is harder to explain, but here goes it...take every other cup slide it to line up inbetween the other ones, but keep them where you will step over all the cups one foot at a time, like setting up tires to run thru by stepping in them.  Same 4 times each way....this makes you bend to step over the cups.  When you get used to them add more...I worked up to 8 times each way.

hope it makes sense...good luck.

Pam

• Posted

It does make sense. ..After reading it a couple times..lol. Thank you!
    • Posted

Interesting, Pam, and many thanks for all your exercise ideas smile I will add them gradually to my routine, at the very least I shouldn't be bored ( trying to work out the cups etc ...lol wink) and hopefully they'll help my strength and mobility.

This place is great! 

Many thanks again smile

• Posted

Just got back from 2nd pt appt with new pt. I measured 90! 80 on Monday! I am beyond excited! I'm making progress! ! Can't wait to start the exercises you suggested! Thnx again Pam!
    • Posted

They will...the cups I did at 2 weeks po and kept doing till 7 weeks.  They will help with your strength and balance.  I did them with a cane at 2 weeks.
    • Posted

You are very welcome...they will improve your bend.  They are all considered muscle strengthing and balance improvement.  So happy for your increase in bend...keep up the good work.  Pam

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.