The "Bend" - how do I get there?????

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am in week 5 post op.  When I first came out I had two consecutive visits from OT and could achieve some bend in my knee.   I was never measured and since joining this site this week have learned how.   Although my recovery is fairly good judging by most of you.   How can I redress the balance and work on achieving a better bend.

I have learnt more from this site than from any of the professionals involved and I am dissapointed with the lack of OT support.  

I go for my 6 wk check this Friday and have made a list of issues I wish to tackle - e.g how do I access OT support, should I buy a static bike?

I havent got loads of money so I have to be careful where I spend.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lynn,

For me the best exercises I did to get the bend was 1)    Sit on a firm chair with arms, place a flat baking tray on your carpet, place your operated foot on it and slide it toward you - the objective is to get your operated leg as far under the seat as you can.  Use your non operated leg to experiment with the moves, what your non operated leg is doing is what you should be aiming for with your operated leg. with my operated leg I sat back in the chair at first and gently moved my leg back, as my moves improved I sat further forward on the chair and the leg moved back even more. Then when I really got the moves I moved forward again to the edge of the chair and moved it back and tucked it under the seat of the chair. that should give you a bend of about 135 degrees. Then you have arrived. Make sure you keep up your pain killer meds.

No 2 is - prop yourself up on your bed and bend your operated knee so that your foot is flat on the bed. Then get a towel and roll it the long way put it under your foot and drag your foot toward you. Your knee will then bend. Again as an experiment try it first on your non operated leg and see how it bends. That is then what you should be aiming for with your operated leg. Do both exercises 4 times a day if you can.

Good luck.

John

• Posted

Hi John

Really useful exercises - just copying and pasting so your instructions are in front of me.  I have upped the painkillers so here goes!

Best wishes!

• Posted

Thank you John, these look really great.

I am just waking up from a really deep afternoon sleep (nights are terrible) so will try them later.

will also look on YouTube.

This place is great, it's keeping me going at the moment! 

Thanks again smile

• Posted

Forgot to say Lynn,

Get onto You tube and type in your search engine - Knee surgery exercises - shedloads on there that cover this topic.

John

• Posted

Hi, Lynn

Agree with all said.Sorry you're having a rough go. I found the stationary bike very helpful for ROM / bend as well as good warm to get moving and PT. Might see if you can find a good used one eBay or locally better yet. 

• Posted

Measuring is  important to determine your progress. I am 6+ weeks postop and visited my doctor yesterday, he was thrilled with my extension and bend which I could get to 120.   He also said I didn't need any more physical therapy and that walking walking walking is what I need to do. The old muscles are getting used to the new knee........ it takes time.  
    • Posted

Yeah, Mary.  You go.  Yes walk.  I also ride my stationary bike daily...it helps with the stiffness.  I am 12 weeks po now and I did make 130 bend. My surgeon was elated.....he said not many people get to that...keep up the good work he said....continue exercising, walking, riding bike for next 5 weeks and come back to see him.
  • Posted

Lynn,  your balance will improve when you strengthen your muscles.  It is all about the muscle strength now. 
  • Posted

I've mentioned before that I spent much of my time sitting up on my bed with my legs out straight. But I did many bending exercises (ultimately, I can both straighten my leg to 0 and have a great bend. I would use a bungy type band to help bend my knees at least three times a day. I'd also pull up my knees as much as was comfortable and then hold it. After a minute or two, I'd pull it in a little more. And again, one more time. But not to the point of extreme pain. I'd also drop my legs over the side of the bed, and lean into the bend.

I found myself a little wobbly when I walked, and sometimes it felt as if my knee was just giving out. Have to admit, falling scared me a lot, but my PT encouraged me to try walking without my cane (though I'd have it in hand, just not leaning on it). I would also practice walking up and down stairs. I remembered a video of someone who'd had a TKR and the way she bounced down. But she did it at an angle and I was determined to be able to walk down like someone with young knees. So I was very aware of how I moved.

Hope you are soon moving and bending like a pro.

• Posted

Hi Lynn,

Just to clarify my No 2 exercise - have a look at 'moandrieu' post where he talks about the bungy exercise.

Thats what I'm trying to describe, - 'moandrieu' describes it better than me.

Good luck - you'll get there.

John

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.