The "CanPee" Club.

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hello, Everyone:

A friend of mine recently coined the name "CanPee Club" for those of us that have had the Simple Robotic Prostatectomy (SRP) procedure and now have gotten back the ability to pee freely and not suffer from the affects of an enlarged prostate, nor are we having to manage BPH with meds, CIC, etc., because our BPH is now gone.

It made me laugh to hear "CanPee Club" (because god knows we need laughter) and I wanted to share that with the forum because other guys are experiencing this "invasive" procedure and getting expected results. I am one (see my posts) and Feral is another that has also posted openly here sharing his success.

I am 18 months post surgery and doing great. Just had a follow up with my doctor and my life could not be better. I know this is heavy positive information, but not all is bleak for us sufferers.

I wish everyone the best and hope for speedy and effective solutions to your BPH issues.

Dave

2 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Edited

How is sex now?

• Posted

Hello, Unclefester:

Sex is good. still have erections and orgasms. Don't ejaculate fluid, but can squeeze out a little when cleaning up. No retro. At almost 63 years old. I am good.

Dave

• Posted

Hi Dave,

Glad to hear all is still well with you!

Quality of life is EVERYTHING! I went so many years in search of the next toilet as a relatively young man of 50 that I forgot what normal was. Yes I know normal again!

But just so you know, an orgasm where fluid does not come out IS Retro. It feels like an orgasm because it is an orgasm. Look up Retrograde ejaculation.

Best, and I know you remember my sign off,

Bobcanpeetoo

• Posted

Hi Bobcanpeetoo,

Yes, I do remember your sign off, Bob. Good to hear from you.

You might be right about the retro. I based my comment/experience on the fact that when I pee after sex, the pee is clear, not cloudy. If retro occurs without making your pee cloudy, then maybe that happens with me.

Thanks for the comment/clarification.

Dave

• Posted

Just curious as to why you say you have no retro. Semen is made up primarily of seminal fluid which is produced by the seminal vescicles. A simple prostatectomy does not remove the seminal vescicles. So if you are not ejaculating fluid then that means the fluid is going somewhere and that has to be the bladder.

• Posted

Hello, Dan - Vasectomy decades ago probably plays into it as well. Who knows.

Dave

• Edited

Actually you are both correct. Only a small portion of the semen ejaculate is from the testicles (sperm) and the seminal vesicles. The majority of fluid is produced by the acinii ducts in the prostate upon climax. This fluid mixes with the so-called "pre-cum" which is clear in color and is comprised of the seminal fluid plus sperm. The prostatic fluid gives ejaculate its milky color and is expelled with great force from the millions of ducts in the prostate gland (exocrine gland).

So when the prostate is removed, this prostatic fluid is no longer produced whereas the small amount of "pre-cum" which is clear is still expelled by the ejaculatory ducts into the urethra which is what Davecanpee experiences.

With true RE, the prostatic fluid is still produced and ejected into the urethra but instead of travelling down and out the penis it travels up and into the bladder since the internal sphincter muscle, which normally closes on climax is no longer competent.

Probably more info than you wanted to hear!

Howard

• Posted

Hoping to join this club in 5 weeks......Yes, I am scheduled for a RSPS (Robotic Simple Prostatectomy Surgery)....Tired of these bacteria infections, bleeding, bladder stones and unpredictable flow...Oklahoma here I come....

• Posted

Good luck with your RSP!

Can you give us some background info on your BPH - such as how long have you had it; how big is your prostate; how have you been managing your BPH ( drugs; self-cathing; other procedures etc). What is causing your BPH - bladder neck obstruction caused by median lobe/bladder stones/ urethral constriction etc. What is your age?

Thanks and all the best.

Howard

• Posted

69 YOld; Infections since 1983; 2011 Infections w bleeding events; 2015 CT shows bladder stones - removed by Cystoscope; Grew due to stagnant urine not emptying; PSA 3.5; 2017 Peed out hundreds of Bladder stones; --- all these years, DREs negative ---- PSA going up as I age...2018- eColi bacteria infection; Bleeding continues w bacteria infections; 2019 June - Urine retention - ER n left w catheter;

Tried Flomax - 1 week n sinus infection; Switched to Silodosin 8mg/d - no issues; July 2019 - Johns Hopkins consult - CT - shows more bladder stones; Prostate at 220g; Dr recommends finastride w Silo until next events of Urine Retention and then - Simple Prostatecomy Surgery - cut thru stomach - 4 days in hospital, etc; Dr did not do Robotic; Began searching for skilled Robotic to do SPS. Most centers of Excellence (teaching n world reknown) do Robotic "radical' P surgeries - remove the entire P for cancer issue; These surgeons r also proficient at carving out the inners of the P - and not messing w nerve bundles - bladder neck - ureatha etc - Probable incontinence for a period of time - depends on each person body - can be weeks - months or up to year; RE is almost 100%; Then set wing back the shell of the P back together (like carving out the inners of an orange n mating the outer skin back together again. I am scheduled in March - 2 days hospital - 10 days catheter...Again, most Uro - Oncologist Drs are really good at robotic type surgeries - Simple or Radical; I am done w infections w bleeding - bladder stones - and a steam the size of a McDonalds coffee plastic stirer; Y can email me if y want more info; I am scheduled in March to take this little ole mass out.......

• Posted

Thanks so much for that detailed review. I know all of us here will be praying for you and a resolution to all your issues.

Just one question: Did you not get any relief from the Open Simple Prostatectomy? I ask this because my urologist where I live does that procedure and has offered it to me so I would not have to travel to get the robotic procedure.

My size is 300 gm and I have been doing self-cathing (CIC) for over 3 years as well as all the usual drugs.

Howard

• Posted

I did not do P surgery yet. I have been evaluating options and finally landed on Robotic Simple P Surgery. It will be done in March at Okla Univ; OPEN SPS was recommended by JohnsHopkins consult visit - This world reknown Dr for BPH - 42 yrs Exp does not do Robotic - only cut across n open stomach to access bladder n P. There are probably some newbies at JHopkins that does robotic SPS - but I did not pursue; Knowing that Louisiana was not drivable for a 1 or 2 week stay; JH said 4 days in hospital n catheter for 7 days. I wanted a place w experienced robotic surgeons who do this day in and day out (narrows it down to a Center of Excellence who has a huge concentration on Cancer of P - doing Radical PS - take the whole P out. Also known, if lab comes back w Cancer - I could continue on w treatment w a facility that I could manage a drive to. I narrowed it down to Vanderbilt and Okla Univ. Both extremely reknown for P cancer treatment methodolgies. Both are about the same drive from Louisiana - 8.5 hrs. The Dept Head at Okla Univ worked at Vanderbilt and also San Antonio (another 1 of the 13 Cancer Center designations by National Cancer Institute; Okla is also 1 of the 13); Dave and Feral (San Diego) both post here of their experiences n success w Robotic SPS. Both have been very candid w their experience and "why did I wait so long".....That did it for me.. I just finished 2 successive bacteria infections that lasted 3 1/2 weeks- with 2 different bacterias - Finished last med last Sunday - so far, so good - clear right now..I only had retention 1 time - July 2019 n went to ER n left w Foley C for 7 days....I usually get up 1 time during the night....my big issue is infections w bleeding due to bacteria growing in the retained, stagnant urine I cannot empty. I hope my surgery is as successful as Dave n Feral. You are right not many shares of this type surgery on any forum...... Mike

• Posted

Thanks Mike. Please keep posting here of your experience. All our prayers are with you. Howard

• Posted

I have not been back to this site for a while.

I was scheduled to do a robotic Simple P Surgery at Univ of Okla on March 24th - Got a call that Saturday about it being cancelled due to Covid.

Sooo, I have just been kicking the can down the road;

70 yrs old next month; Prior to the surgery schedule, Dr had me do a 3Tmri to see the shape of the P . It measured 230 g and no cancer to be found. PSA at 6; JHopkins had told me in July 2019 that 6 was not bad considering the size of the P. They had me do a CT Scan - same results - 220g P size and no cancer. JUst a BIG P.

Right now I am sleeping 5-6 hrs without getting up. I do still have some bleeding 2 - 3 times a month; It seems to happen when the bladder stones move around. I am OFF all medicine - I decieded to stop the FLomax and the SIlodosin.

Sooo, I will continue to kick the can as long as I can.....

Hope you are doing well....

Mike - Louisiana

• Posted

I was scheduled to do a robotic Simple P Surgery at Univ of Okla on March 24th - Got a call that Saturday about it being cancelled due to Covid.

70 yrs old next month; Prior to the surgery schedule, Dr had me do a 3Tmri to see the shape of the P . It measured 230 g and no cancer to be found. PSA at 6; JHopkins had told me in July 2019 that 6 was not bad considering the size of the P. They had me do a CT Scan - same results - 220g P size and no cancer. JUst a BIG P.

Right now I am sleeping 5-6 hrs without getting up. I do still have some bleeding 2 - 3 times a month; It seems to happen when the bladder stones move around. I am OFF all medicine - I decieded to stop the FLomax and the SIlodosin.

Mike - Louisiana

• Posted

Mike - Louisiana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.