The dreaded weight gain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys, just letting of steam! It gets right on my nerves when experts tell us our weight gain is less to do with the menopause and more to do with age/sedentary lifestyle etc. I started meno early and an 46 - having only 2-3 periods a year now. I have piled on 2 stone doing nothing different - if anything I am doing more exercise etc. My friends who are not yet menopausal, while some are slowly gaining, have not experienced this sudden weight gain whatsoever! Alongside all my other symptoms, I know my body, I've always been slim and this sudden gain is not just age or inactivity !!!

4 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yep I know how you feel i have put on a stone and half all round hips, stomach and boobs. I am active with exercise, eat healthily but nothing Shifts my spare tyre. I just go with it, its just not worth worrying over stress will only make it worse.
    • Posted

I'm not really "accepting" it. I do not hide any more, but I'm not giving up either! Trying to reduce the amount I eat in hopes it will help.

• Posted

Same here.  Adding insult to injury, I went out to buy a new swimsuit this weekend.  I knew that I'd gained a lot, but wow... going to be swimming a lot of laps this summer.

• Posted

Liz, did you gain it fairly quickly? The worst I felt was when I saw a picture of me and my friends last month and it just didn't look like me at all 😢

• Posted

Yes, I've gained it very quickly.  I look in the mirror and don't recognize myself.  Six years ago, I weighed 40 pounds less than I do now; the perimenopausal symptoms started about three years ago but really took hold last year.  Are you able to do vigorous exercise or do you find you have to pace yourself more than before?

• Posted

I'm walking mainly - I try to do at least 2-3 miles per day. I tried a running programme but my knees and ankles hurt too much. I literally wake up every morning and ache all over. I have osteopenia (2 points off osteoporosis) so I have been told walking is the best.

• Posted

Walking is great.  I get in about 2-3 miles daily as well.  
  • Posted

iv gained alot to, and i eat less. iv lost muscle tone and gained fat, iv lost my toned bottom and gained a fat tummy, iv aged alot in just a couple of years and my hair wont grow anymore. my hair is thinner to and now im going gray gaining wrinkles and just look haggard and im only 48 i feel you ger but look older. i hate bei g fat the most though. and it dosnt help when i feel to tierd to do anything and im up half the night with insomnia or going toilet every five mins. stupid menopouse how do we get through it and still be happy with ourselfs.
    • Posted

You seem to be feeling a lot like I do. I've aged ten years in the last 18 months. Insomnia, low bone desnsity and everything aches. I feel like any looks I had are fading rapidly and my personality is fading with it. I really can't seem to shift this blasted weight though!

• Posted

I agree.  I hate being fat the most because it seems to show on the outside how tired and old I feel on the inside.
    • Posted

I have a GI checkup in 3 weeks that is freaking me out simply because I know they'll weigh me!  Total anxiety over that.  Crazy, isn't it?

• Posted

I get that. If I could just lose this weight, I would be so much happier. I'm happy now, but that would be really nice to reach in my closet and grab anything to wear. Now I struggle to find something that fits.

• Posted

I guess we are all in the same boat! All feeling very similar. One doc recently told me it's more my sedentary (or I read it, lazy) lifestyle to blame than my hormones and I nearly bit her head off! I know full well it's the menopause that's accelerated this. She only looked about 25 ... I'm sure she'll realise how I felt when the time comes for her lol 😄

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.