The going private option, some info for you.

Posted , 3 users are following.

We know the NHS is pretty lacking when it comes to mental health services and despite an urgent referral to MH Team the psychiatrist can only see me at the end of January to review my medication etc.

So I spoke to my GP about a private consultation as the NHS one doesn't see private patients so gave me some details, I rang yesterday and have an appointment at The Priory on the 8th, I was surprised at the cost (£200) for the initial consultation as Id expected it to be much more but once the psychiatrist has recommended a course of treatment inc any med changes its then passed back to my GP to prescribe, if I want to continue seeing the psychiatrist at The Priory I can at £100 per session or alternatively can choose to go back into NHS hands and continue to be seen by the NHS psychiatrist who will have the Priory psychs report and its then free, I'll have to wait my turn to see an NHS psych but at least I'm seen nearly 3 weeks earlier which for me is worth the expense.

Its not ideal and I shouldn't have to do it but it's a choice if you may feel like exploring if like me you think the NHS system is letting you down.

Im really sorry if I've upset anybody who feels otherwise about private arrangements or who is not in a position to pay, I'm not really but for me needs must and I will have to do without other things but the money ive saved by not drinking has allowed me to save a bit. 

Neil 

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

Prev

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up