The "MANIPULATION PROCEDURE"

Posted , 9 users are following.

Has anyone had or ever heard of a procedure called the "MANIPULATION?"

Apparently because my knee was soo trashed and had a limited range of motion going into my TKR 10 days ago, the Physical Therapists and Doctors aren't quite happy with my 10 day ROM of 68°

They're saying if i don't get to 90-100° in the next 2 wks a MANIPULATION procedure may be ordered. When i heard what it was i almost soiled my blummers!

They put you under (twilight sleep) and the doctor CRANKS on your leg FULL MOTION 😮 While you don't necessarily feel it while you're under, I've heard you wake up SCREAMING like some prisoner at Gitmo getting waterboarded or electric prodes attached to their testicles 😫

Has anyone or does anyone know of this procedure "MANIPULATION?"

2 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

OMG......no, but I have tears rolling down from face from laughing.  I am sure it is not funny to you so work doubly hard on that flexion!!  Start now.
  • Posted

I'll let you no tomorrow as I'm having manipulation done. I'm 5 weeks po and my rom just stopped at 68. I've read lots about it. Decided to go into this open minded. The Agressive pt afterwards is what is important. My first pt is 1 1/2 hrs tomorrow afternoon.Same thing Thurs and Fri. Then 3 days a week. I'll let you know tomorrow how it was.
    • Posted

This sounds like a grueling regimen.  Lots of positive thoughts will be coming your way.  Please keep us updated
  • Posted

Hi. I did an operation called lysis of adhesion plus manipulation at the same time. So, they gave me pain meds. I think for manipulation only, they would give you pain meds as well. So, don't worry
    • Posted

How did yours turn out? Did you gain the rom you were looking for?
    • Posted

therr are a few differences to consider.

1) my original surgery was an acl surgery.

2) my second surgery was a lysis of adhesion and manipulation was done on top of that.

That being said my rom improved, but still not good enough. My problem was with extrnsion, not bending.

• Posted

Ur second could career should be writing. U have us all laughing.

anyway, good luck!!!

• Posted

Hi had left TKR in January ROM got to 90 with heavy PT at home and at clinic.

Had TKR on right knee four weeks ago. Just before I go under Doc says he's not happy with ROM on left and do I want to do a manipulation on it while I'm out for the right TKR. Sure says I.

Post op didn't really notice any different pain in manipulation knee. Had lots of pain issues in newly cut knee so the pain meds most likely blocked any pain from the manipulation.

At home notice better ROM in old knee but still not great. I'm now having same ROM issues in the newest cut knee. Next week will be instructing Doc to proceed on manipulation on that one. I expect pain meds to deal with any pain and to get better ROM down the road.

I expect pain is manageable with proper meds. Good luck.

• Posted

I had that done almost 4 months after my tkr. I was terribly afraid of it! My ROM was around 90 or 95 before, and the manipulation did not help. The doctor thought adhesions were my problem with the ROM and also pain. But I don't think so, as NOTHING changed. I had very little pain after the manipulation, just a little soreness. So, don't be afraid of it. It might help you.
    • Posted

But you're completely anesthetized...like "lights OUT?"
    • Posted

And where do they do it?

I'm assuming if they're going to anesthetize you, then you have to be in the hospital?

• Posted

Yes it was done in the hospital as outpatient. I went home the same day. I was completely asleep. Didn't feel a thing!

• Posted

Will have me out under general anesthesia. My clinic does day procedures so I'm hoping it can be done there rather than at a hospital. I'll have more info on Tuesday.
    • Posted

I'm going to a Surgical Center and it is day surgery. Little nervous. We're leaving in about an hour. A tough night with pain last night. Just want this over and start moving forward.
    • Posted

Hope all went well with your procedure. Don't be surprised if you don't have as much ROM as before. The swelling will have to go down first. Don't let the therapists push you to extreme pain. I did all that, and it didn't help me at all. If you are having a manipulation because the dr thinks you have adhesions, you should improve. As for myself, it did no good. I'm just telling you my experience.
    • Posted

I haven't had it done yet...however if i don't get to 90° ROM in the next 7 days they say i will have to have it.

The doctor told be before the TKR surgery that i will probably have ROM issues because my knee going in was trashed, had limited ROM thus a lot of scar tissue.

Anyways they "upped" my pain meds yesterday from NORCO to PERCOCET and today's PT I gained 10° from 65 for the past few days to finally 75°! Soo that's great news. I'm very happy with myself.

The one draw back however was because i was really working it and writhing in pain my view of the luscious "twin towers" was a bit foggy:'( But i must admit it is soo exciting when she makes me lay on my back and throws my leg on top of her shoulder and starts to massage. 😮😐😆😶😇

• Posted

Hysterical, as always!😀😄🤗😂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.