The meaning of life is a cheesey forced grin, I'm going for the record.

Posted , 6 users are following.

So this dry January thing got me, I thought what can I do to boost my mood and help everyone around me. I was desperate, so I tried smiling all of the time (excluding sleeping, eating and any other instances where smiling might become a practical issue. I'm making it like a drinking game, except I refuse alcohol after 2 pints. So far I've been smiling pretty much non stop for 3 hours. I'm going to do this until smiling becomes a habit. So far I feel a lot lot better. Anyone want to join me in this insane idea? So far it's really working. I don't mean full on cheesey grin all of the time and only when you're in your own company so that nobody thinks you're losing it, you don't cause trouble etc etc. I've written smile next to every day this month on my calender, think I'm on to something here!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Good Onyer!

Never know - maybe some 'happiness' chemicals get created that helps to blow away the depression ones!

• Posted

Nice to read something positive in here ands sounds like a bloody good idea to me 
  • Posted

maybe get polititions to declare a make a Cheezy Grin day..
  • Posted

Never mind smile, you've made me laugh! lol I'm with you; I'll try to keep smiling. Great idea.
    • Posted

Honestly it hurts your face but works really well haha
  • Posted

Great idea and been trying it myself but but not finding it easy to do to be honest. I think this could work well for anxiety and depression if that all you have got to cope with and everything else in life is ok. My problem is not just the anxiety depression but I have so many life problems to cope with on top off all that. I'm living in extreme poverty due to no work I have applied for benefits but because of the Xmas back log they told me my claim won't be processed for at least 3 weeks. I asked for a crisis loan but this wonderful government apparently stopped all that last year. They told me I can get food from a food bank but the nearest to me is 10 miles away and have no way off getting there so I phoned them and was told they can deliver but won't be delivering in my area until Monday next week. I have got no gas or electric as on prepaid meters and no credit left. They are sending me vouchers so as I can get some credit but will have to wait for them to arrive so what the hell am I supposed to do in the meantime with no food gas or electric. I have no one to borrow off as have been trying for the last few days and no one seem to have any money to lend as its just after Xmas and everyone I ask is skint. Iv got to go to court on Thursday as I couldn't pay my tv licence and don't know how the hell I'm going to get there with money or transport and what upsets me is that I have a pay as you go phone and almost out of credit so won't even be able to talk on this forum after today. I'm cold hungry depressed and anxious and full of fear so smiling is out of the question right now
    • Posted

If you're looking for work try asking through friends, failing that you can volunteer for charities eg the homeless charity 'The Cyrenians' and they usually pay your travel fare (you could walk the for the first time but say you need money for bus fare) I found the Cyrenians took me on really quickly and there wasn't even any sort of formal interview. You could ask for a daysaver fare and use that to visit the foodbank (You'd have to use travel west midlands buses)

The benefit of voluntary is work experience/raised employability. Always dress smartly (shirt and tie) if you have an interview. Primark are really good for cheap shirts and trousers/ties. I used to use them when I bought work gear for Nandos. If you're desperate, places like McDonald's are always recruiting. The job centre can help you get a job too. Do you live in Coventry? If so I could give you better advice? Don't worry if you cant get back to me. Places like McDonald's are great for free food. Restaurant chains are the best to get in with in that sense and the food/ wages combination might just get you the foothold you need to get a better jobs. Trade work tends to pay well and it's really bloody hard to find a good roofer if you're looking for ideas. Wishing you the best with the depression aspect too, sorry I couldn't reply sooner. Ive went to work with depression and the best advice I can give you is don't be afraid to tell a few white lies on your CV. Make up skills such as 'good communicator', write your personal profile in 3rd person and look up power words. The job centre /libraries will have computers and internet access for free and a library card doesn't cost anything usually.

• Posted

So sorry to hear of your predicament Michael, there are so many benefit 'scroungers' and unworthy cases that those who really do need help often fall through the cracks.  The benefits system in the UK has always been a complete nightmare no matter which party is in power.  While you still have access to the internet, try joining your local Streetlife group.  It's a forum of local residents and businesses and there are some great people on there always willing to help others.  For example for the court appearance you could ask if anyone could give you a lift as a one-off and explain your circumstances.  I would willingly offer assistance like that to someone in need and no doubt there are some in your area that would too.  You might like to ask on there also if anyone could 'tied you over' with say unwanted packet or tinned foodstuffs which you could maybe replace when your benefits get sorted out.  You'll be really surprised at the generosity of some people and we all hope and pray we're never in that situation but unfortunately life is such that we sometimes are.  There may even be locals who need workers and could offer you a chance.  I just gave away an old fridge, in good working order, to someone on there whose fridge had broken down and they couldnt afford to replace it - I felt very good about helping someone and know very well it's a case of 'there but for the Grace of God......' it could have been me.  As you have no transport presently, have a see if anyone has a second hand bike they'd be willing to donate to you, again, given your circumstances if anyone has such a thing I'm sure they'd be very happy to help a neighbour in need.  This would at least enable you to perhaps get to a job interview or somewhere to do some voluntary work.  Have a look to see if there's any opportunities for voluntary work locally that provide daily meals - eg restaurant, catering facility, etc.  you never know.  I so hope you manage to get things sorted very soon.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.