The Mirtazapine withdrawal begins

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all

The time has come and I am on day 2 of withdrawing from 45mg to 30mg. Have read others postings and am grateful for advice given.Thanks.

I made the decision last week to come off the Mirt, couldn't face the aches and pains and weight gain any more.That is a shame because there were some very good effects too. My Gp has agreed to take me off them and under guidance of the psych will start on Duloxetine after two weeks. Gp suggested 30mg Mirt at night for a week, then 15mg for a week to coincide with introducing the Duloxetene at 20mg to start with. There are good and bad write ups for Duloxotine and as I am prone to nausea that will be an unwanted effect,Hope I last the course.Back at hosp appt 21st July.

I know it wont be easy and I may break the weaning off doseage to a lesser amount. Will need everyone's help on this page. Good luck to anyone else at the same stage.

Rayne

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Just my opinion, but I think this is way too fast, I tried to cut down from only 15mgs (have been on them 3 years) and I had dreadful withdrawal effects. I am now back on them and will commence the liquid version in August (as I have just had an operation) to withdraw very slowly, my doc told me to reduce by 1mg every 2-3 weeks, this will take a long time but if I can avoid the withdrawal effects, I will do it slower than last time.

Saying that, some people are not as troubled by the withdrawal effects as some so you may be just fine, good luck smile

• Posted

Hi Marge,

glad to see you back on site. Hope you are coping well after surgery, remember you saying you were due for the op.

I was wondering if withdrawal effects might not be so bad if I was going on to meds(however thinking about it it is a double Whammy as get side effects of the new ones too). I remember when you were withdrawing and got off the Mirt only to have to go back on. Think you and Colin were at the same stage.What were your worst times?

Thankyou for your response. I will remember about the liquid. I used similar coming off Prothiaden and it helped as I just needed to reduce gradually that last bit. Mirt is a whole new ball game though isn't it? good for some things, rough for others. Makes me feel like hibernating for a few weeks just to get through it. I work but have been off this week due to back pain.makes me wonder what work will be like with withdrawal effects and new side effects. Yugh!

Hope you will be more prepared in August once you try a slower withdrawal.

All the Best smile . Rayne.

• Posted

Hi, yes, I am now just over 2 weeks after my op. I can get around the house and thats about it at the moment, its a long recovery. I was told by my anaesthetist not to take my Mirt on the day of my op as I may have trouble coming round from the op so I missed a day there but did not seem to be troubled by it, I had so many other drugs, :shock: I never noticed! I had 2 Tamazepam as a pre-med before the op and woke up on a morphine drip that I could control for about 12 hours then onto Co-Codamol and Diclofenac which I am still taking, although I have just cut down to twice per day now (don't want to get addicted to them) :oops: but I am still quite sore. I did not dream at all whilst in the hospital but that may be because I was sleeping deeply as a result of the drugs but now the vivid dreams are back, which is a nuisance.

I found the withdrawal effects of Mirt to be horrendous at the time I tried to come off. They did not kick in for about 10 days after I completely stopped the quarter of a tablet but it was headache, dizziness and nausea, so bad that I could not eat and was losing weight fast. I was really incapacitated by them, I thought I would tough it out and it would get better but it did not seem to improve so I went back to the docs. I am just concentrating on getting better now and then hopefully can think about coming off later in the year.

I don't envy you at all trying to withdraw AND starting new tabs too :shock: but you may be ok and not suffer too badly smile

• Posted

Hi Marge, how's things?

Having taken your advice I am now on 22.5mg at night, rather than the 15mg I was suggested. Seeing these pills are scored through it makes sense to make the cut down more tapered. So far so good apart from a few feeings of non reality at times, and some more vivid dreams (which I hope to leave behind with the Mirtazapine)

Also I have started 20mg of Duloxetine without feeling sick. Am grateful for that as long as it lasts. :o

Kind regards Rayne.

• Posted

Hi

I am too going through withdrawal. I have been on 30mg for 3 months but have found that I had awful anxiety something that I didn't have that bad to begin with! I am on day 3 of cutting down to 15mg. Today at work I was so dizzy , I keep feeling I want to fall forward! The Doctor has advised me to have 7 days on 15 mg, 7 days on 15mg every other day and then 3 days without. He has prescribed me 75mg of Dosulepin anti depressants. I had a bad reaction to Citalopram and he said they are good for anxiety and help you sleep.

I have started CBT and have the problem that my therapist says I am not depressed , I shouldn't be on anti depressants and that it is all anxiety / stress. He said to try and stay off the pills and he will teach me how to cope with the anxiety so its not a problem! I guess he has seen and listened to me a lot more than the Dr has! What do I do ? :?

Good Luck all smile

• Posted

Hi Rayne, Marge, I took your advice Marge and took it very slow I cut down gradually and was on a quarter of a 15mg for over a month, 13 days ago I stopped completely I have taken the occasional Diazepam when I have sleep problems but generally it has not been to bad I have had the nausea and headaches but I now feel better when I wake in the morning than I have for ages, hoping to continue, all the best with your withdrawal stick with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.