The obsession of therapists

Posted , 5 users are following.

Why is it that the people paid to help with anxiety don't seem to be able to understand that anxiety isn't necessarily focused on something external?

Everyone I've seen asks me "what are you worried will happen?" and won't take "I don't know" for an answer.

Does anyone else have this problem? I just don't seem to be able to get them to understand that the feelings of fear and panic, even when they get to the point where I can't think or move or speak, aren't focused on fear of a particular consequence. In fact, for me it's worse because of this. If I were afraid of a particular event/person/place I could just avoid it. But I'm not. I just feel paralysing fear and nausea and I freeze until eventually I find the strength to move very quickly away from the situation and find somewhere on my own, enclosed and hidden, where I can sit quietly until I can calm down enough to go home or wherever else I need to go.

Just wondered.

Rant over.

2 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

• Posted

I know what you mean I just get it now for no reason I could be happy and it will still happen but I belive it's to

Do with concentrating that we can breath as when anexity has gone we think ah it's gone then it comes back because we are thinking about it don't you think?

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I totally get what you mean. How are you supposed to explain to someone else what's going on in your head when you don't understand it yourself. Anxiety isn't formed all the time from a certain situation it can be general fear from all sorts of things x
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

have you tried more specific therapy like CBT?
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'm considering CBT.

What was your biggest issue with CBT? 

Did it feel as though they were speaking more from a textbook than experience and couldn't offer any answers?

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I agree with everything you just said....i had the exact same feelings and anxieties with no explanation!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Very true. Good rant.Some really are not good at their jobs. If they have not exprienced it theres no way for them to understand it. They think they get it, but they do not.  A behavior modification therapist is useful. I do not know if the uk has these centers there are some here in the usa. The breathing is taught with a machine so you know when its correct. They do cbt and talk but its going through the triggers you have experienced and reviewing what to do. But yes Oh boy some do stink. You can tell pretty fast too. I actually think there are wonderful audi books out there by the way. Many authors have had panic attacks so they know what they are teaching. The explanation is its a mal function and you have to manually calm yourself down. My conckusion almost three decades later and reading and research everything i can get my hands on and living it, The trigger is stimulus of anykind that too much for you, personal thing. You could be walking along and boom. Something did trigger it who knows what could be a ache or a pain , a thought, being really tired,  a loud dog barking its whatever stimulus seem to be a bit too much and it triggers. Its a mal function. The retraining is a lot of work, some do it. Manually coping takes an exhausting amt of work at times but it works too. Fearing it is a nightmare and feeding into it causes it to keep cycling it. Once it begins to continue in cycles it is very rough to calm it down, especially if there is a big stress or fear behind it. We all know that. One would think by now with so many people experiencing this and we all see similiarities that science would be able to do something better then meds that only work in half the people. Because its a mal function and because the trigger might not even be something that intense but enough to set it off its not always productive to explain it all, not does it matter. What matters is being able to cope and calming it down. Thats why cbt is so important to learn.and breathing techniques. Definitely breathing properly. they should have seminars and webinars and classes running teaching cbt, teaching breathing at libraries, adult education classes..etc.easily accessible.on line from a reputable source free. Yes utube has a ton but i think many people get overwhelmed there and would perfer a more reputable source. The therapist can still make money but this is a humane thing.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up