The shock is unbearable!

Posted , 4 users are following.

OMG! That is the last time i have ANY procedure in hospital down my throat unless i have a general anaesthesic. I will never, ever have that done again. I am really pxxxed off! Has anyone had a positive reaction to an endoscopy? Are they meant to shove it down your throat and keep pushing. I am now really very upset! I have come away shaking, upset and frightened! I really did struggle. Any coeliac suffereres on here who manage to control their symptoms without doing anything drastic. Can i ask how many people have come up with a raised blood for coeliac disease but managed without anything else but gluten? Thanks sorry for length of post!

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What shock did you have?

• Posted

Oh i see, sorry not thinking straight due to having sedation in hospital. This procedure was a lot more painful than i was lead to believe. They kept trying shove the camera down my throat wouldn't explain what they were doing and quite honestly i thought they were rough! I know they're trying to do their job but they weren't very reassuring. I need for something like that to work for someone to explain to me step by step what they were doing, but they didn't. They were not very reassuring.

• Posted

I would make a complaint because they should not have been rough and should have explained what they were doing step by step. They should have stopped the procedure immediately when they saw you could not cope with it. Continuing to ram the tube down your throat could have caused damage.

• Posted

Well I've had an endoscopy once before and it wasn't very pleasant. I was sedated because my gag reflex is so bad. First they got me to swallow an anesthetic that tasted horrible. Then they gave me some sedative that I blacked out from (as intended), only to wake up five minutes later to myself being sick and able to move nothing but my eyes (that feeling was weird/scary). I'd say that it's quite an unpleasant experience in general. I can't help with the other stuff though as my test was related to acid reflux rather than being a coeliac.

• Posted

I thought it was me being a wimp! I stopped it because it was so uncomfortable, not instantly but after 3 tries and 1 lot of sedation! I have asked to speak to my consultant and dietitian, as i need to know whether trying completely gluten free is a good idea. My gag reflex is dreadful too, i struggle at the dentist never mind that. They may have to knock me out to do it. I need to find out how vital it is. I have an appointment to speak to my own doctor in 10 days. I'll let you know how i get on. How did you get on and did it sort your problem out?

• Posted

ive been put to sleep every time, ive never had a problem. They put me to sleep instantly and 15 minutes later im back in the recovery room. I never knew it happened.

• Posted

Never even offered that to me, as for barium meal ugh!!!!😫😓😨🤑😰😱🤢🤮👿😈😺😸😹😾😿🙀

• Posted

wow, i feel for you. i couldnt have done one without sleep. That had to be awful

• Posted

I get depression and sometimes vomiting with sedation so for me I would have to try a barium meal or have a throat spray instead.

• Posted

Thanks Jeremy, j had no choice! I was told j had no option, i desperately needed this but can't remember it being that bad. I tried but it wasn't happening. Does anyone know what 127 means on a coeliac screening test at the doctors?

• Posted

I think my Aspergers makes me hyper sensitive to medications. Were you told if your celiac test was positive or negative? I would ask your doctor instead because that will be clearer to you than the reading you got in the test. I can't find anything on this online.

• Posted

Hi Pippa, when i speak to you you just make so much sense. I am sure being Dyspraxic has made me allergic and hypersensitive to lots of medications too. I have had sometimes called a coeliac serology come back with a level of 127 on it and apparently this is high. All i know is my health is getting worse and worse. I have had enough and made the drastic decision to defy advice and cut out lots of bread and see what it does. I need to know if it is a good idea if i see my doctor and explain to her what has happened before the hospital snail post takes weeks to respond. What do you think? I just would like to be well. No gluten doesn't bother me at all. If it makes me well i'll do it. It bothers my mother but then that's her tough luck, she hasn't bothered going with me for a single appointment over this so i don't now care about that bit. Being well is what matters.

• Posted

127 is very high. Mine was only a 30 and i was diagnosed with celiac along with endoscopy. However, they still tell me i have ibs as well. sorry you could not do the anesthesia. Did your endoscopy look for tissue samples to confirm celiac?. They usually want both tests to confirm. Both being blood serum and endoscopy biopsy. But 127 ...yeah thats high!

• Posted

OMG, i can't believe what you're saying! I am ringing my doctors tomorrow. I will see what they have to say. Thanks for the information. I'm never touching gluten again!

• Posted

I would definitely speak to your doctor to get reassurance and further information on your celiac result.

• Posted

Please do. Well they found nothing problematic in there, which is good, but in the end they said it was IBS and then at a later date said that the IBS was actually acid reflux, which I have since treated myself (their idea was to take antacids, but they can't be taken for long periods of time). I treated/treat it through several ways including a change in diet and a glass of water with a 1-2 teaspoons of organic unfiltered cider vinegar in it before I eat breakfast every morning.

• Posted

Hi Pippa, i will be doing tomorrow, i need to know what this is and what i do next. Thank you.

• Posted

good for you Sam...always push for answers. Im a little shocked they didnt mention anything further about your test. usually, the antibody screenimg for celiac is anything greater than 10...my IGA TTG which is one of the primary panels done in celiac was 30 which is weak positive...but 98 percent of patients with an elevated iga ttg are celiac. Theres only a couple other rare instances that cause false positives. such as Rheumatoid Arthritis and Liver issues. Again though, thats very small. The mayo clinic says any celiac antibody level over the minimum combined with a positive endoscopy is positive. However , even some doctors will diagnose celiac based on blood serum alone and symptoms...bypassing the endoscopy. It seems celiac is often misunderstood. Keep us

• Posted

Hi Jeremy, i've never had one of these done and i didn't understand the result. I asked back in 2010 as to whther my then doctor thought this was just IBS and she said yes. I think they couldn't be bothered about having me retested my tests originally said inconclusive. I would have thought they would restest. I am pretty fed up! I am seeing my doctor a week today, it may not be good enough. Should I pudh for an earlier appointment?

• Posted

i think you are on the right track. I think a week would be fine. you do need to keep eating gluten if you get retested though.

• Posted

H Jeremy, it wasn't the easiest thing to do but made sense because k was getting diarrhoea daily which left me in pain, i checked with my dietitian and she told me just to tell my doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.