The top of the suture has a small red bump with swelling

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone had anything similar?  It is 7 1/2 weeks post op TKR and as I've written on this site, have the usual post op issues and complaints with swelling, bending fatigue, and insomnia due to pain.    My doctor is 4 hours away in NYC and I will call in the morning but was wondering if anyone else had anything like this.  The scar is healing beautifully except for the top one closest to the thigh.  I showed it to my PT and she said it may be a stitch wanting to come out.  When she felt it, she felt a stitch and after I worked out, she thought it may have come out after workout.  I also showed it to another therapist the folllowing day and he said it does not look infected and not to be concerned.  I have had major surgery before but many years ago and somehow remembered there were areas that healed faster than others.  I don't like to put myself on antibiotics but I always have a Rx because of travel. I put a small amount of Aquaphor on the area because I've used it after surgery in the past.

So once again I am writing to the gurus of TKR for feedback.  Thank you....with gratitude, Marilyn

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marilyn I'm 10 week post op and at about 6 week I had a red small lump at the bottom of my scar, it oozed some pus when I pushed it  a couple of  times but it's fine now, I showed it to my pt who said it was nothing to worry about so I just put antiseptic cream on it.

hope that helps and good luck with your recovery

• Posted

Oh,,,,thank you Debbie for such a quick reply.  I may put a dab of peroxide on it and then some bacitracin.  I touched it lightly but it didn't ooze.  Just a tiny white dot.  It doesn't hurt and my knee is always a little swollen and warm.  I have tendency to swell unless I ice constantly.  The doctor told me swelling should subside in a few weeks after coming off of Coumedin.

Thank you again for reply...Happy healing..

• Posted

Marilyn I had the same few weeks ago. I bathed it in boiling water and dettol and put a plaster on it. There was pus and area was purple.Phoned ortho nurse next day said come in. She tweezed out 3 stubborn stitches cleaned area and dressed it for 4 days. No antibiotics needed. Hope the same
  • Posted

Might be an internal stitch or if you had stitches one wasn't completely retrieved. Don't mess with it....get to a Dr. tomorrow at the latest. It just isn't something to guess about and stress over. Infections are more than just a little thing. Not that our cases are the same but I wound up having the entire appliance removed, the incision cleaned and flushed, immobilized for 4 months.....the 1st 2 months of those I had infusion antibiotics (PICC Line). No bend and 25% weight bearing.....(TWICE).

Then another prosthesis installed. You are too far out for that type thing as it normally happens in the 1st month post op but you don't even want to think aboutbletting it go without a ?? professional looking it over. Until then ice and rest is the prescription for today. Don't let anyone try and shame you into activity

• Posted

thank you so much for your reply.  I will call my doctor tomorrow.  He told me if I have anything that comes up, there is a doc in this town who I could see.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.