The Urolift procedure; patient views and questions

Posted , 264 users are following.

Would it be possible to keep this thread purely about Urolift and a means of sharing experiences from those who have undergone the process and invite debate from those considering it.

The Urolift process plus pros and cons are accurately described at many a website. Other very long threads discuss in detail BPH and other treatments such as TURPS, laser tend to overshadow people looking for advice on Urolift.

So for me, tired of getting up in the night. Tired of the medication and its side effects, tiredness and ED. Quality of life getting me down. I am 60 and reckon to be pretty fit and active.

I underwent this treatment (as an alternative to TURPS) 2 weeks ago at one of the 5 or 6 clinics/hospitals that appear to offer this treatment in the UK. It really was as simple as described on the web.

I had a 30 minute consultation with the consultant whereby he explained the procedure.

The treatment was booked for 10 am., it took about 15 minutes. I had it done under a local anaesthetic. To be frank if you are used to having your prostate and other bits probed there is no pain. It is just the thought of it you have to come to terms with. After the treatment you have to drink a lot of water to flush your system but I was allowed to drive home by dinner time.

First warning here. I did have to stop probably every 15 minutes with a sudden need to urinate. Fortunately I took a urine bottle from the clinic !

I could write for ages but will see what response I get to this post. I know on the day I was there, 4 other blokes were having the procedure and I sensed there was a regular flow of patients.

I’m now going through the period whereby I’m asking myself is there any improvement? It’s only 2 weeks in. I’m not sure is the answer at the moment. We are all different and recovery and improvement I am told does take time anything from 2/3 weeks to 2/3 months maybe longer. Your system needs time to readjust, I understand that, I don’t know how much time but I’m due for a follow up next week. I'm remaining positive.Would welcome comments from others.

18 likes, 1911 replies

1911 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi Charles, I'm getting the Urolift procedure next week and I, and others, would appreciate if you could describe, say, how long before you were able to do everything you did before, how soon could you go back to exercising, etc. Were you in pain the first week? Any info along this line would be helpful to a lot of us.
    • Edited

Good evening Albin. It really is as the websites say a minimally invasive procedure. You walk out of the treatment room, cup of tea, drink a lot of water, and when all OK with regard passing water in my case get in the car and find my way home.

You are tired through the stress of thinking about it more than anything. You feel a bit battered and bruised "down there" obviously. I had a local anaesthetic, some may join this thread hopefully with views from those who had a general, the consultant said most do. There is a little sharp pain when you urinate but that only lasts a few days.

There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn’t go back to work the following day or get out on the golf course, swim, jog etc. The only thing I would say is I had this sudden need to urinate from time to time and I was careful to ensure whatever I did for a few days was mindful of that fact. It wasn’t a problem really but worth bearing in mind. I took it easy that weekend just because I was tired and your are conscious that somebody has been poking about inside you but was back to normal on the Monday.

• Posted

Thank you Charles for that info. I think a lot of people will benefit from what you said and I probably will post my first week results so we can add to the knowledge base.
    • Posted

Hi Charles,

Am I correct that you live in the UK.

I live in South Africa and the procedure is not yet performed here to my knowledge.

You mention 4 hospitals. Can you please provide me their names soI can follow up as to the possibilty of travelling to the UK.

Kind regards,

Neil Rex.

• Posted

Hi Neil.

There are now many more hospitals in the UK which can offer the Urolift procedure. If you find the Urolift website there is a tab marked "find a doctor" on this page there is quite a long list of UK hospitals and clinics offering the procedure complete with contact details. Make sure you are on the UK site a

• Posted

Make sure you find the UK site and not Urolift USA as they are very similar but obviously contain different information. I can send you a direct Web link to the site if it helps

Good luck

Peter.

• Posted

Can you tell me how urolift has done for you
    • Posted

Hi Peter

could you let me know the  Urolift UK website and the names of the NHS centres performing the procedure.

Thanks

Graham12640

• Posted

Graham, I have found NO NHS centres that carry out the Urolift procedure. And I made a thorough search. Also consulted my GP. In fact I was quoted a price of £5,800 to have the operation done privately.

• Posted

Hey Charles hope all is well the doc wants to give me ac rotor rooter I have heard to many.  Horror stories I heard about urolift is it worth a try?
    • Edited

Ray,

I had the Urolift in July this year and am now 6-7 weeks past it. It has worked out very well. From what I've gathered, and in my my opinion, one should make sure you're a good candidate. There are some factors that preclude its use or, in my opinion, lessen the perceived 'success' of the procedure. The size of the prostate as well as the configuration in regard to what's called a 'median lobe' are two of these considerations.  A urologist that performs the procedure will do a cystocopy to assess the prostate and bladder to determine if your a candidate.  If you are,  It may be a good choice. I'm very happy with mine.  As many here will tell you, do your best to 'avoid the knife'. Get second opinions if you feel you're being 'steered' too hard in the surgical direction.  

Somewhere in this thread is an account of my first few days post procedure. 

• Posted

Good thing to remember is that this is a temporary fix. The prostate will continue to grow and somewhere down the line a surgical intervention will be your only choice. I suggest you look into the HoLEP procedure for permanent solution now.
    • Posted

"Good thing to remember is that this is a temporary fix."

Another 'good' thing to remember is that more elegant solutions than the 'stone knives and bear skins' approaches are constantly being designed and tested. My approach to the the issue was that if  Urolift could give me five years of relief, I'd take it and so I did. 

Remembering that having any particular procedure should be based on research and assessing of the entire urological state, the  data currently suggests that in a properly identified candidate, Urolift will bridge the time to more mature next generation solutions if not an actual permanent one. 

• Posted

Hi James, At almost 87 years old a temporary fix maybe 3 to 5 years of living again would be great. I have urine retention,and  my cystoscopy show my enlarged pristate is around 4 cm long,whatever that means i don't know.

Does anynone know if having a catherter in would make your  feet and ankles numb?

• Posted

bill76612 ... "Urolift will bridge the time to more mature next generation solutions if not an actual permanent one"  That is a very good point.  I'm wondering if you or anyone else knows if this procedure is reversible, either because of complications or, as you say, better, future alternatives that could possibly necessitate the removal of the Urolift staples.  Thanks.

• Posted

[Is] "this procedure is reversible, either because of complications or, as you say, better, future alternatives that could possibly necessitate the removal of the Urolift staples. "

It is my understanding that they are removable. There are others here that have had implant adjustments due to prostate size changes that introduced 'slack' with the result being the constricting of the urethral path so I know they can go back in. The procedure is certainly uncomfortable when done 'in office' like I had so I would not look forward to it but it could be done. 

But the advancements you read about these days are promising and give hope that even if my procedure is not permanent  the advancements in choices in 5 years or so will be ready to go. 

• Posted

I was told by my doctor that they can be removed if need be  I had mine tighten and repaired.  Never feel them at all   Ken
    • Posted

The innermost metal tabs can be removed, but not the sutures through the prostate or the outermost metal tabs that are outside the prostate – the sutures and outer tabs get left behind.  I heard of one case on one of these boards, where the outermost metal tabs had “grown in” as the prostate grew larger after the urolift (outer tab is set distance from inner tab, distance between them = length of suture...) and the subsequent HOLEP operation was messed up when the sliced inner piece of prostate tissue was caught with a tab (that used to be outside the prostate) in it.  Contemplating urolift, I was also worried that (a) the sutures (held in place by nothing much, just tissue friction I guess) after such a partial removal could work loose leaving the outer tabs loose to potentially re-orient and poke me in the bladder or prostate after vigorous exercise, (b) it is acknowledged (see UROLIFT official website) that the metal tabs create a dead zone of 16mm around which MRIs cannot see, so if you later need an MRI because of a high PSA reading you are in bother.  It also worried me, I didn’t get round to asking the uro, that radiology might make the tabs hot (but it is not RF so it shouldn’t be able to do that) or more likely be partly blocked by them.  Also RF-type treatments like REZUM are presumably hazardous as the RF, although the left-behind tabs are not that close to the inner prostate tissue, would be very susceptible, I’d have thought, to induced-current heating from the RF/microwave energy from the REZUM needle/probe.  Whether that matters – presumably the tissue around the outer tabs would get slightly cooked – I don’t know.  I went with Holep, instead. 
    • Posted

Paul, I was sitting in the Imaging Lab this morning when your post came through on my cellphone.  I was scheduled for an MRI at 7:00am.  I disclosed, to the Imaging Lab, that I had had the Urolift in February of 2016.  The MRI tech was not certain about the Urolift proceedure and made me wait while he researched the Urolift.  After about 15 minutes, he let me know thathe would not perform the MRI due to the uncertainty of the compatibility of Urolift + MRI.  Later today I received a call from that Imaging Lab that after further research and discussion with radiologist, it was okay to have the MRI with the Urolift. I also got a callback from my urologist, I placed a call to him earlier that day, who also confirmed that it was okay to have the MRI after Urolift.  Just FYI.  Bob
    • Posted

Interesting. After my Urolift procedure I was handed a card with device information including specific, lot number etc, device information for my implants. On the back are detailed instructions for MRI technicians about maximum settings etc. 
    • Posted

Bill, that would be helpful. I am checking with my urologist. The MRI technician initially went to the Urolift website to research compatibility with MRI. He said it stated it was not determined. That was why he would not go forward without more research. I don't know when the urolift website was last updated. I have been rescheduled for later this week. Thanks again for the info. Bob

• Posted

Graham

I was quoted the best part of £10,000 for the proceedure but I discovered that the Norfolk & Norwich Hospital perform this proceedure. I have therefore asked to be refered and am awaiting to hear back. I will up date when i know more.

Steve

• Posted

>>I was quoted the best part of £10,000 for the Urolift procedure

? - What the heck, if I can get a HOLEP done under GENERAL ANAESTHETIC with a catheterised overnight stay for £3400 all up including cost of cystoscopy and consultation beforehand and surgeon and private hospital / room including anaesthetist fee all private, how can you have been quoted three times as much for something supposed to be (and is) much SIMPLER and quicker with less risk ?? (albeit I question if endurance long term or effectiveness re : frequency as good as HOLEP)  Uro-ripoff ?

• Posted

I think it is because I live in Cambridge and everything is twice as expensive as almost anywhere else. The Urologist is £6,200 alone, consultation £250 and then they do a load of tests first which all adds up to over £9,000.

You can see why I want to go to Norwich. The anoying thing was that i was told that Urolift was NOT avaliable on the NHS, not that it wasnt avaliable on the NHS at Addenbrookes. I was lucky that i found out otherwise befor I committed to spending all my beer tokens.

Stevewe

• Posted

My urologist charged £750 for his part of my HOLEP.  Urolift meant to be quicker to do, I know from the video he gave me that HOLEP took him 40 minutes to actually perform - I can see the duration of the video.  I was out for the count.  Isn't urolift done under local ??

• Posted

Yes, it is done under local and is a shorter proceedure. You would have thought that there would been a bit of standardisation with regard to pricing of these proceedures. Also, if NICE have approved the proceedure why is it not been rolled out to all Urology units as the new proceedure will not impinch on time or finnaces, just a training issure.

Steve

• Posted

I fell sorry for you guys. I live in orlando florida and my insurance covered it  The only thing I may was $200 for the surgery center  There has to be someplace else you can go Ken

• Posted

This not accurate in every case. My Urolift performed in Chelmsford/Essex Urology, covered by BUPA. General anaesthetic, takes about 15/20 minutes. Nice approved. Some hospitals performing on NHS some not depending on both funding and availability of trained surgeon. According to recent article in Daily Mail NHS funding concerning new treatments changing as they consider may save the service money in the long run. Still need to have right surgeon in place though.  Costs going private seems to be around £7/8,000.  I avoided Holep/Green Light as both not without risk of side effects which almost absent with urolift.

• Posted

Hi Kenneth,

I live in Florida too, can you tell me what insurance co you have and what type of insurance?

Thx

• Posted

I live in Orlando Florida.  I have WellCare.  Have a great day  Ken
    • Posted

Can you post about your experience with the procedure itself and what the results have been like. Thanks, Rich
    • Posted

Check my posts on this forum for my experience with urolift.  As a minor upddate--I've noticed the stream slowing down, longer times to void, but nothing that's more than a minor annoyance.  It's been a huge improvement, very little discomfort/pain involved, and most of that resolving within a few days.  If you're researching this topic, you'll find that each case is unique, experiences vary, and you need to have confidence in the advice you're getting from your urologist.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Richard.  I had the urolift done April of 2015 and within a week I was peeing fine.  Very little pain.  Off all meds and sleep through the night.  I went in at 9AM had it at 11AM and I went home at 1PM.  I did have a catheter because I have a problem peeing on demand.  Had it for 3 days.  It came out had no problem.  Burning the first 24 hour.  Had sex 5 days later no change at all same feeling  Ken
    • Posted

Hi guys, I have a sad tale, april26 2017 urinary retention and kidney failure, catheter and book in to urologist. After avocado for 8 months, had utility on 08dec 16 and still with Cath and now infection. I had 11stents put in but not looking good. I know you say only the failures might report on this thread but that should be of interest to all should it not?
    • Posted

Oops some self correcting typos. Catheter for 8 months, urolift 3weeks ago now still have catheter and now infection. Not sure if I did the right thing now.
    • Posted

Started with 135cc prostate and after 8 months of avodart ended with 93cc so urologist did urolift using 11 implants. Hope it improves or I did make a mistake.
    • Posted

So now with $10k on the credit card and no results I should have bought a Harley
    • Posted

Hello, 

reading your post the first thing I would ask is was there a manufacturer rep from NeoTract at your procedure. The reason I ask is that, based on what you're saying, it seems that your situation would be outside the parameters of recommended usage.  Was that discussed?

• Posted

Sorry that your having a problem.  Give it a little more time  Ken
    • Posted

Yes it was discussed but that is why the avodart med for 8 months and as I was anesthetized I was not aware who was present. My urologist is one of the most experienced in Australia with the procedure so I'm not convinced that is an issue. He has performed many urolift procedures and told me that I was on the limits of the procedure. Still maybe there are some experiments happening so I would expect that if I was an experiment then why did I pay $10k for the procedure/experiment? Will see the urologist after the new year so I will have a few questions for him. Cheers Gipsy

• Posted

Gipsy, where did you have Urolift done?   Who was the Urologist?

hope things improve for you

• Posted

Mal, in Sydney at Macquarie private hospital, not sure if I can mention the urologist here but he is the leading urologist in Australia with the honour of being the first to conduct robotics on prostate in Australia.
    • Posted

He is also the leading teacher for the procedure in Australia
    • Posted

Hi Paul- How are you doing now that you have had the HOLEP procedure..? I don't know when you had it. Are you experiencing any retrograde or ED. Any pain, or difficult urination..? [Sorry if you have answered this question elsewhere.] Cheers- Jed

• Posted

Holep done 6th june age 49 on small prostate about 33cc.  Flow before had been poor for a few years, liveable with, frequency 2 or 3 times a night.   A bout of prostatitis (really acute and annoying LUTS for a week, gradually tailing off but not entirely back to my poor "baseline"wink took me to a uro and he offered to fix with urolift or holep, which are the two that he does.  After holep (catheter out the day after) I had two weeks of painful peeing, no incontinence but some urgency (I never needed any "depends"wink, then some bleeding/one day of what seemed big clots, rested after that day for a day, that stopped, at week 4 or so I tested functionality and found, no ED and normal sensations prior to the ending but felt almost nothing at that moment (and was RE as expected), gradually the sensation came back over time.  9 months on there seems to have been further improvement month by month but my memory is not objective enough to make a good comparison ... I think the peak sensation is marginally abated compared to pre-holep but not a lot in it.  Doesn't bother me.  Flow rate strong compared to pre-holep (sometimes a little lower in the morning though) and frequency good (infrequent), last night I slept from 01:00 to 07:00 before waking up for a pee.  Daytimes I usually go many hours between pees.  I do still find frequency will gradually creep up (not bothersomely) if I humour my bladder and pee too often, sometimes making the effort to hold back is a good idea to keep everything well calibrated I think.  And I occasionally do a few seconds of the pelvic floor exercise. 

?

• Posted

Paul  I am happy that things are doing well for you.  I have read up on some of the things you said but why did you give up on your prostate.  Your 49 and you have retro.  You could have tryed the urolift first.  You had a small prostate and small lobe going into the bladder it would have worked for you. My urologist have done the urolift on men that have a 80cc prostate with a large lobe and they did fine.  Im 61 and there is no way I'm giving up anything to just pee better.  Was on flomax and rapaflo  Had retro and it was very disapointing.  The first time I had one the built up was good but when the orgasm hit I felt nothing and with no ejaculation it was like I did nothing no after feeling  My orgasm are very intence and they do last for 2 to 3 minutes with after glow.  They were never like that when I was younger.  Don't know if the urolift did that or not.  My prostate was the size of a lemon now 2 years later it is half that size.   My urologist know me and the way I feel he would never talk to me about any procedure that will take any function away.  But we are all diffirent and we all have the right to pick what we want to try.  We are the ones that have to deal with the side effect and anything that goes wrong.  In reality a doctor can only suggest a treatment or procedure because they do not know if it will work until it done.  Take care and have a great day  Ken

• Posted

I knew I could have had urolift but was aware it creates an area where MRI can't "see" of 16mm around each tab, it often only improves flow not frequency issue as doesn't stop prostate pushing up on bladder neck like mine was, you sometimes have to muck about going back to have bands tightened, and if you later have to have a HOLEP they can only cut off innermost tabs not get rid of outer tabs or the now-could-work-loose suture holding the outer tabs in place, and HOLEP can end up slicing the outer tabs that have "grown in".  I decided to go for the most enduring and permanent solution, I had PSA 16.92 at this time so this also gave me more samples of prostate tissue to check on top of the biopsy, giving me peace of mind as well 'cos that seemed a highish PSA.  PSA now 0.66 and I have less prostate tissue left (60% gone) to get cancer in.  Unlike greenlight (no cancer sampling) or even some TURP, even if my little prostate grows I should have no bother now for rest of life.  He removed 12 cc of 22cc.  NB above in error I wrote 33cc, it wasn't it was a 22cc tiddler .

?You could say I had them take a laser-powered sledgehammer to crack a walnut, maybe they did but I have peace of mind that peeing problems are gone and won't ever come back.  Shouldn't anyway.  Any effects on sensations at peak are now so small I can't even be sure there is any effect any more.  This is consistent with the only 2 studies of this I could find (see earlier posts by me for references to find them) saying the adverse effect is early on for both HOLEP and TURP and THULEP, and you on average get most of the way back to baseline by one year on. Within that I guess some fully back, some less so.  I would have worried about it had I had urolift as it is not always permanent.  I wanted it done for good.   

• Posted

I just wonder.  You had a small prostatedoctr tell you that you had cancer is that is why you were worry about it.  I had the urolift done 2 years ago and they have been fine I never feel them.  I did have a problem when one got loose.  Had to have it replace.  When he went in to replace the one he had to tightenther 3 because my prostate got smaller.  I have a stricture and have a scope done ever 3 or 4 month to check it he also checks the implants they have not moved.  I was also told by my urologist that he can take them out at any time if I want but they work well so they are staying.  I just feel sorry for men that have to give up that function because doctor don't feel it is important.  Well you are the one that has to deal with the outcome and you were aware of the out come.  You did your reseach and  you are happy.  That is all that matters.  We are all different and we all look at things differently and we have our priorities what we feel is important to us.  Hads all as we get the information.  At 47 I ad a cancer scare.  I new very little what did what.  Now I know maybe  mch  Take care  enjoy life  Ken 

• Posted

Hi, Albin,  I had the procedure Friday.  It went easily enough.  Afterwards, i felt an urgent need to pee, but passed mostle blood  and little urine. That was somewhat uncomfortable, but I wore guards and even disposable underwear Saturday night.  i didn't sleep well, and about 2;30am I said a prayer for some relief.  About 3:00am a big splotch of blood passed, followed by a stream of urine.  I feel almost normal this afternoon.  I'm still passing some blood, but now mostly urine.  I do feel better.   The doctor told me to refrain from my exercise class for a week, but nothing after that.  I have a follow-up appointment on 1 June that I will have to make earlier or delay a few days.

• Posted

Based on my experience (small sample, I know), you might delay the exercise until June.  I took a spinning class for 30 min a couple of weeks after the procedure (the class is usually an hour).  As I got quickly to the locker room, I started to pee.  It's gotten better in the last couple of months, but take it slow on the exercise.

• Posted

hi bruce,Did you have the Uro Lift done in chicago?

Thanks

frank,

• Posted

Hey Frank  Remember my doctor told you that it may help your retention ( He has had good results with some of his patents wink  but if it does not work  the urolift would make CIC easier for you because it will open up the prostate.  Don't let them talk you into anything else.  At you age I don't want you to have anymore problems or trama I think of what I would tell my father.  If he would have lived he would have been 100 at the end of the month.   Please promise me that  Ken

• Posted

HIi, Frank,  No, i was in the Dayton, Ohio area.  I have just moved to Columbus,  I went back to Dayton for the Urolift.  A computer seach didn't indicate anyone in Columbus doing the procedure.

• Posted

$200 for the Urolift procedure just means you have good insurance, I have Cigna with a $4000 deductible and I just had the exploratory procdure to determine what is causing my issue and the cost is ~$4500. It was done in outpatient but I was anesthetized. I expect the urolift will come out about the same so given the exhange rate that is not far of 10000 pounds.
    • Posted

I have WellCare which is nedicare  How old are you maybe you could change  Ken
    • Posted

Hi Ken, Gino here.  Had the Uro-Lift one week ago and peeing fine.  Wakeing up in morning with wood.  Doc says to wait for four weeks.  Naturally I asked why, he said may cause bleeding.  Good to hear of your five days later experience.  Way to go!! I'm 85 and thrity years ago had the Microwave proceedure that left me with RE.  At that time Doctor never even warned me that might happen. It left me with dry uncomfortable ejaculations and in the last few years very painful ones, always dry and never any pre-cum.  Now after only a week when I pleasure myself, never have gone all the way since may cause bleeding, my penis exudes copius slippery precum. 

• Posted

When to go.  I think you would be fine at the 2 week post.  When I had mine the urologist told me 2 weeks but could not wait.  What I think is going on is that it fix it self andyou  may get some when you go all the way.  I will sent a email to my urologist and ask him what he thinks.  Years ago doctor neverto ld youev erything and when it happen they go I don't know  Just drink alot of water and juice  Take care  Ken

• Posted

Thanks Ken for your reply and wanting to email your Doctor.  You are very kind to take the interest in so many posts I've been following,  Regards, Gino

• Posted

It's no problem  I like to help.  Men have to stick together and help each other.  I see no problem with you having fun at your age.  If your in the mood why not.  i would wait for at least 2 weeks but wait till I hear back from my doctor.  Has your doctors told you anything.  You ejaculatory duct may have healed or your bladder neck may be closing normal were you will have a regular ejaculation.  Would that be something after 30 years of dry orgasm.  Well good night my friend  Have a long day tomorrow  If I hear anything I will let you know when I get home ( 11PM ) God bless and happy healing  Ken       

• Posted

Hey Gino.  Got a reply for my doctor.  This is what he said.  He said that there may be a discharge from the placements of the sutures.  He also said that it is a good idea to wait for 1 or 2 weeks to have sex or have a orgasm.  You want the sutures to a hear to the prostate before you contract it.  He also said that stranger things have happy.  He told me to let him know what happen.  Good luck had have fun  Ken
    • Posted

Good morning David.  Yes I had the Urolift procedure.  It has been over 2 1/2 years.  I had 4 implants put in.  All has be great.  I would do it again.  that is the only procedure I would ever do.  No side effects.  Have a great day  Ken.  I'm 62 now

• Posted

thanks for the quck reply, i had a TURP 3 yrs ago and its closing up again, it was good for me until recently.  new doc thinks its scar tissue, looking next week, after that i will check with local dr in tenn about the lift. at 69 it is enlarged but dont know how much,, during the day i have little or no probs unless i set for a long time. at night i feel inflamed sometimes but prob not prostatis.  i have had issues with FUNGUS however that casues a problem .  also i think lost of guys have that and dont know it.

regards -david

• Posted

Good afternoon David.  Sorry about you having a problem again.  A Turp is suppose to last longer then that.  Hate to see you go through that again if something easier will do the job.  Good luck  Ken 
    • Posted

Oh, my uro said the 2% who get a stricture after urolift, mostly do so within 3 months. 
    • Posted

Good evening Paul.  You can get a stricture from any surgery that they stick tubes in you.  I got a stricture from kidney stone surgery when I was 47  I did not even know I had one until 11 years later.  I think the Urolift surgery helped mine.  Because the tube they use for the gun is a little bigger so it opened up the stricture take care  Ken   
    • Posted

Kenneth, I also live in Orlando and am getting ready to do this procedure. Can you tell me the doctor you used and how successful it was. Thank you.
    • Posted

No problem.  My Doctors name is Dr. Zamip Patel off Lake Under hill right next to Florida East.  He's a great guy.  It's going on 3 years all has been good  no side effects.  Ken

• Posted

Thank you so much for such a quick reply. I am so glad I found this site and discussion before I do anything. I obviously have a lot of new questions to ask my doctor.
    • Posted

With Dr. Sujka at Orlando Urology. My daughter in law is a PA and a very smart woman and knows many physicians in Orlando. I have her recommend all the specialists I use and so far she has done very well for me. I also went to the Eurolift website and he is one of a very few they have listed is this area. I am a Medicare specialist and since I know all the plans, I have an "F" supplement which pays for everything. I was on tamulosin for quite a while but it did not seem to make a difference but it did make me dizzy. right now he has me trying Myrbetriq to see if it does anything. I go back in two weeks with a page of questions I got from this forum. I thank everyone who contributed and will add my experience when it happens.

• Posted

Yes it is nice to have a doctor that you like they will all ways to the best for you.   I have had my doctor for almost 4 years.  I consider him a friend and my doctor.  He is very well likes in orlando and he has dome many speeches on Urolift.  Some things to ask him.  If he will do a catheter after for you.  I did.  It was much easier.  Sometime the prostate will be swollen and  you may not be able to pee and it's better to have the catheter put in while your asleep then have to rush to the hospital after you go home.  Take care  Ken

• Posted

I looked him him  He's on the other side of town.  Over by disney.  I wish you luck  you should be fine  Ken

• Posted

Hi mate just about to have urolift on Friday. My urologist suggested combining with green light laser because my prostate is 2 and half times larger than normal. Hope it works. Under general with overnight stay
    • Posted

Andy.  I would tell him no to the Green Light.  Just have the Urolift.  It will give you the tunnel you need to take the pressure of the bladder and no side effects.  With the Green Light he will core out the Prostate you will only have the shell lift.  So what is the since of clipping the shell back.  And doing that you may have side effects The worse is retro ejaculating Unless this is not you concern They just have the Green Light.  The urolift would just be a waste of time.  But it is up to you because you are the one that is going to have to deal with the side effects.  Ken
    • Posted

Hi

I had the Urolift and it failed, probably due to size and consistency of my prostate tissue.  Grenlight was a much easier procedure post operatively and no retrograde.

• Posted

Hi William,

What is Grenlight? I don't think I've seen or read about that.

I'm having what I would call "partial" success with my Uroilift. My nights are great 1-2 times, rarely more. But I'll get a tiny dribble on my sheets. During the day I seem to go more frequently than I'd like and it often comes upon me so fast that I have to quickly get to a toilet.  I see my urologist in about 2 months to evaluate.  Michael

• Posted

It is an alternative to TURP.  It has me peeing like a teenager, instant shut off, and no retention.
    • Posted

Sorry that the Urolift did not work.  How many clips did the doctor put in.  Maybe you needed more.  Glad the Greelight worked for you and you were one the lucky ones that did not get retro.  Did you have a decrease in volume,  Take care  Ken   
    • Posted

Hey Buddy.  I don't think it is the Urolift.  It may be a bladder issue.  The Urplift makes a tunnel and relieves the bladder.  Take care  Ken

• Posted

Hello Kenneth, I know this thread is considerably old, but I'm hoping you get this and can provide some info. I too love in the Orlando area and am really considering this procedure. Can you tell me who was your Urologist for this? Also, how's it going since? I'm not yet 50 yrs old and this scaring the Bajeezubs out of me, but it's getting to a point where I need to do something more than meds for sure. I appreciate any info/feedback.

• Posted

Hi, late comment... but seems to me a Green light should eliminate the need for a Urolift... did you actually have BOTH???

Hope the Doc was not "dialing for dollars"!!!

I'd be interested in your results and comments... thanks! JJ

• Posted

i has the UROLIFT procedure done this past MONDAY.... still some blood ans slow stream. Had what i think were two blood clots pass. How long before you saw results? What should i expect and is blood at beginning of stream a reason to be concerned 5 days in?

• Posted

Mark

Did you have a catheter. I had mine taking out after 2 days. Give your self some time We are all different. I had some blood in the first few days. Slow steam the first week but by 10 days I was doing better. Make sure you drink a lot of water and some juice Apple or Cranberry. You should be fine before you go for you 2 week check up and better at 4 weeks.

I'm here if You need me...Ken

• Posted

Hi Ken,

i didn't have a catheter i went home and was already managing to pee without one although the stream was slow. i guess i will give it a couple of weeks... was just wondering what to expect.

Thanks for getting back to me so fast!

• Posted

Hey Mark

Yes just take it easy.

Did you doctor tell you no sex for 4 weeks. They want the clips to a here to the prostate.

Take care.......Ken

• Posted

Hello Charles:

I had the Urolift procedure 7 days ago. I am 75 years old, but I have been actively resistance training since my youth. The post op literature states to avoid heavy lifting and straining for 2 to 4 weeks, but that light exercise is fine. My question is would moderate resistance at higher repetitions not carried to failure be in the safe zone. I have been walking 8 miles per day for the past week, but am anxious to return to resistance training. Sure advice and suggestions would be most welcome.

• Posted

i would limit straining of any kind. but best to clear with your doctor.

i do not do resistance work ups, so it was no problem for me. but i know it was 3-4 weeks before I felt as though my post surgery symptoms were resolved.

now my ejaculations are different. intense up to a point and then it oozes out.

• Posted

Hi Deltoid:

I gave it a month. You will be surprised at how little, if any, strength you will have lost. Sometimes it's beneficial to be forced to let your muscles recover for longer than a day or two.

George

• Posted

Thanks, that is encouraging. How long have you been back to lifting now following your urolift procedure?

• Posted

Sorry for late reply! The green light was used on the neck of the bladder Apparently the top and bottom had fused together He used 8 clips on large prostate 8 months later result is fair . Weakish stream and 2/3 times at night . Bonus no medication.

• Posted

Sorry for the delayed response, I just returned from a New Zealand vacation and wi-fi can be spotty over there. I had my procedure a couple of years ago and have been lifting ever since. I used to go heavy but have moved to high rep, lower weight in classes at my local gym. Tough workout but you don't build as much bulk.

• Posted

Thank you for the response George. How soon did you start back lifting after your urolift procedure?

• Posted

I think I remember going back to spin and yoga classes at three weeks and started lifting light at around four or five weeks . Your mileage may vary so ask your doctor before taking advice from someone like me. 😃

• Edited

My urologist who performed the procedure told me to avoid lifting anything heavy for two weeks. I just wanted to hear the experiences of others. I am 11 days post op now and feel okay, but will wait until the full 14 days. I plan to start back with moderate intensity the first week or so.

• Posted

Hi Edward,

I had the procedure 5 weeks ago and am concerned about the ejaculatory symptoms you describe which mimic mine. Have you seen an improvement yet?

• Posted

thanks... have not been on this site for a long time... now again considering Urolift... been on catheters for almost 2 years... not a bit problem... but inconvenient...

How are you doing with yours now?

• Posted

Hi Ken, hope all is good with the virus! Now 2 years since my procedure and started peeing blood! What could that mean!!

• Posted

In Lakeland with Careplus for medicare and hope they only charge me $200

• Edited

Hi Albin,

I note your last message is 2 months old. I'm looking at having the Urolift procedure. Would you be kind enough to advise how it went for you after this short period of time please?

Regards,

Murray

• Posted

if you have far to ride get a donut pillow to sit on. i was put under anesthesia.. i couldn't imagin doing this with laughing gas.

• Edited

they determine if you are a candidate for Urolift by the size of your prostate.

• Posted

I had 8 clips at a cost of $17,000 Canadian. Worked for a year. Now had 2 turps. They were able to remove the 8 clips, but the urologist indicated it was a challenge.

• Posted

The clip is not the problem it is the anchor. Most of the time they just remove the clip and leave the anchors. They are very small

He probably had a problem because he never removed them before

Hope all works for you because you have went through a lot

• Posted

Ken,

this is an old blog.. it would now be like 6 1/2 years since your Urolift. Is it still working well?

I'm 66 and thinking of doing it.

thx,

Ed

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.