Therapeutic cit dose

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi everyone!!!

Been on 5 mg cit for a week and I can tell the effects are wearing off and I might need to try 10mg. However I was wondering if this will be the case that I'll keep upping my dose indefinitely or will a particular dose maybe 10mg last me for years and won't wear off so quickly. Thanks.

0 likes, 82 replies

82 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi bud did you have any bad side effects on 5mg cause I want to start taking it and when do you take it
    • Posted

Levi, if you're concerned about side effects, then it might be a good idea to try 5mg and see how you feel.  That way you'll ease yourself onto the meds.  Probably much better than starting on 20mg.

However, everyone reacts differently to the meds, so what one person might experience re side effects, then another may not.  Typically though most people do feel slightly more anxious, heady, dry mouth, etc but these side effects do wear off.  The meds really will help you.

K x

• Posted

The effects don't wear off I can assure you.  These meds are not addictive so larger doses are not needed in order to maintain recovery.  I took 20mg for 16 years.

When you start taking these meds you'll recovery is not straight forward like taking asprin and your headache or pain eases off - with these meds you don't just start getting better and that's it.  The first few weeks on meds will give you heightened anxiety and other side effects.  Each time you increase your dose you'll get side effects.  These do wear off.

These meds take months to work, so you won't be able to tell after a week.  Recovery also often comes in waves, so once the side effects wear off you'll be up and down with your mood for a while - do not stop taking the meds thinking they're not working, because they are - just that you won't see any progress for a while.

20mg is the typical dose, though some people take 30mg or 40mg.  A bigger dose though doesn't mean you'll get better any quicker - you just need to take the right dose for you.

Took me 6 months to recover.

K x

• Posted

Hi.

Thanks for the reassurance, the 5mg were working for me for a week but today I can tell they're are loosing its effects and thinking about taking 10mg tonight but I just wanna make sure I can stay on a low dose for a while and not keep upping it but I guess I'll have to if I need to.

• Posted

Yes, that's absolutely normal and how the meds work.  By all means increase to 10mg but you'll still get the symptoms back.  That doesn't mean the meds aren't working ..... they are.  Even if you take the maximum 40mg you'll still get this yo-yo effect.

You have to go through the symptoms whilst on your dose.  Most people feel good for about a week and then start feeling ill again.  Its normal.  The meds are working, but you won't see any benefit for a while yet.

Yes you can recover on 10mg - just expect to get this wave effect of feeling good and feeling bad.  When the bad times hits, just go with it - you can't avoid it.  It actually means your meds ARE working as this is typically the pattern you follow.

Recovery for most people starts to happen around the 3-4 month mark, and during this time you'll be up and down.

No, you won't have to keep upping your dose.  I can assure you.

K x

• Posted

Hi shawn23899...I think we have spoke before. My advice is if you felt the benefit...speak to your doctor and then up it to 10mg! I started on 10mg...and I felt my symptoms coming back after 5 days...I spoke to my GP and he upped it to 20mg...felt immediate relief! I stayed on 20mg for about 5 weeks with no side effects at all...then felt my symptoms coming back again (not as bad tho) so I upped again to 30mg. Again...I felt instant relief. I've now been on 30mg for 3 weeks...touch wood, no side effects at all! I was very reluctant to keep upping my dose..but...if it means I feel 'normal' again...for the sake of taking a tablet every day...I'll take it forever! My advice is...if you need it...take it...try not to stress about the dose...your peace of mind comes first! 😊

• Posted

Hi Claire,

Good to connect with you again, yeah the 5mg worked wonders for me for a week but woke up today and I can tell the depression is coming back so I'm thinking about taking 10mg tonight but I just want to stay on a dose for a long time and don't wanna keep upping it. I would think upping the dose means more side effects but I guess I don't really have a choice

• Posted

Hi Claire

It doesn't matter what dose you're on you will feel the symptoms coming back - even with the max dose it will do this.  This doesn't mean the meds aren't working, but its typical how they work.  It also doesn't mean you have to keep increasing your dose.  When you start the meds you often feel good followed by the symptoms returning.  That's normal.  You have to let those symptoms be there, relax towards them, they will go in time (they're called blips).  This pattern will repeat itself throughout recovery until the symptoms no longer happen.

You don't need a large dose in order to recover.

K x

• Posted

So are you saying that I don't need to increase to 10mg and can stay on the 5mg and see what happens? I've always thought you need the increase to feel the effects...

• Posted

Hi Kate

I ve had a very bumpy ride on cit.

Started on 17th July on 10

1 week on 10mg

1 week on 20mg

6 weeks on 30mg

4 weeks on 40mg

4 weeks on 30mg

6 days on 20mg

Up to 40 the doc just kept telling me to go up. I felt good till 5th week on 30. I have decided to drop back to 20 as I felt better early on. Given my constantly changing dose what do you think I should do now. I have less side effects but don t feel as good as the first few weeks on it. Should I persist on 20 or is it not the right AD for me.

I have a 9 mth old baby and really need to feel better.

• Posted

Hi Shawn...I think this is where it gets confusing..and people's opinions all differ! I try not to come on here that often anymore because I was getting stressed with people saying different things! I think the meds work different for different people! For example I've read people saying that they instantly felt awful after day 1 of taking cit...yet I felt so much better with the instant relief of the headache I'd suffered with for weeks!! So I just go off how 'i' feel and how my mind works! After reading comments I'm now stressing thinking I've been on 30mg now for 3 weeks so am I going to start feeling awful again in a couple of weeks!! So trying not to think about it! When I upped from 20 to 30 I tried to bare with the 20 for about 9 days before I upped again...and I thought 'why am I doing this when upping it may make me feel better...so I went with my gutt instinct and glad I did...and upped to 30! A family memeber works for a mental health consultant and in her advice I upped it! So...I'd follow your own gutt instinct darlin...if it was me...I'd up it and see how you go...but that's just my advice...5mg is like a little spit full...either way I hope you feel better soon 😊

• Posted

Hi Claire,

Thanks for following up, I've just started to feel a tiny bit better now it's the afternoon, mornings are still the worse so maybe the meds are indeed still working and it'll be a roller coaster for a while who knows but I'll keep taking the 5mg maybe for a night or two more and see if anything changes. I'm seeing my gp today and will talk to him and get his take on it I'm also going to talk therapy cbt counseling that might help as well.

• Posted

This sounds like a plan darlin...and as long as you feel in control about it that sounds like a good sign!! I also start my CBT tomorrow after putting it off for months...so again...that's a positive for me too!! Good luck flower...😊

• Posted

The general dose is 20mg, though some people prefer to stay on 10mg.  ?So you will need to increase to 10mg, but what I meant is that you don't need to keep increasing and increasing to get the feeling you were getting, because you can only go up to the max of 40mg anyway ..... and you'll still get the symptoms (temporarily).

The effects of the dose do not wear off.  What you're experiencing is normal and will happen on whatever dose you're on.

When I'd recovered I reduced my dose to 10mg for maintenance for a few years, and then further reduced to 5mg and stayed on that for a long time.  But I had recovered first.

K x

• Posted

Thanks for the explanation. I'm trying the 10mg tonight and will see how it goes, I'm hoping I can stay on 10mg for a while and won't have a need to increase my dosage for any reason.

• Posted

That might be possible but I'm not sure I'm lactose intolerant so I don't drink milk.

• Posted

Hope it goes well - you'll need to stay on that dose for a while anyway before you can tell if you need to increase anyway.  

ps ... I cut my meds up for years when I reduced from 20mg to 10mg for a maintenance dose.  No problem at all, the doctor knew and approved too ... and they worked well wink

• Posted

Thanks for the follow up, so I'm assuming 20mg worked well for you and you never felt the need to increase as most people have gone to 30mg or even 40mg. I took 10mg last night and haven't noticed any side effects besides constipation slept well and hopefully that continues. I really wanna recover and don't wanna be on this for the rest of my life. Did you have any side effects with the 20mg and how was your sleep? I take mine at night before bed but I think if I ever get to 20mg it'll cause insomnia and profound side effects.

• Posted

Give it a go - try staying on one dose for months and months ....... when you keep increasing / decreasing your body is trying to cope with side effects from increasing then small withdrawals from decreasing.  You can't tell if its the right meds for you until you've given one dose lots of time.

You will feel awful at times, its only to be expected, but this will ease over time - lots of time.

Sometimes people chase meds/doses in the hope of stopping the symptoms ... you can't stop them but they will ease.  Along the route you may find you're up and down - some days or weeks feeling awful, others feeling good.  It'll even out.

It took me 6 months to recover on one dose.

We are all different of course, and different doses suit different people.  You do have to be really patient with these meds.  Let recovery come to you .... one dose / patience / perseverance.

I was ill too when my children were both babies - was a really tough time.  I recovered when my youngest was around 4 or 5?

K xx

• Posted

Thanks.

I really hope I made the right choice to drop to 20. I will stay on that for the foreseeable.

Fingers crossed

• Posted

I took these meds about 16 years ago and stayed on them for years, and at the time I'd never heard of them and didn't know anyone else taking them.  I also didn't know there were any other doses or that I'd even recover - to me they were just another pill wink  I was amazed when I started to recover - I didn't know a little pill could do that.

Yes I had side effects - nausea, headaches, lethargy, anxiety, insomnia etc, but it was no different to suffering with the illness anyway.  Just heightened.  My sleep was affected for a while but my doctor suggested I take them in the morning which would help.  So I've always taken mine in the morning.

The insomnia wears off, so that's the time to increase, if you feel the need.  Yes you'll probably get insomnia again, but it'll wear off again.

During my time on the meds I never felt the need to increase despite how awful I felt - and I didn't actually know you could increase anyway.

Why take more meds than necessary anyway, at least before trying to recover on one dose.

• Posted

I hope it is too - you can only but try.  Keep in touch xxx
    • Posted

Thanks for responding you've been very helpful. I just have a couple more questions. So as you know I just started on 10mg . How long can you stay on one dose before you decide this isn't working and it's time to up the dose, I know these takes weeks to work but how long is too long to say that's it I'm upping the dose? and did you remember having any focusing problems?, before I got on the meds I can't focus when I'm reading and was thinking it's probably the depression but now I got on meds the focus issues when reading is still there, I'm not sure if that's a side effect on it's own or the depression still causing focusing issues if indeed depression causes that. Thanks again

• Posted

Mmm good question wink

You can stay on one dose as long as you want - if you find it suits you.  Increasing though - because these meds are so slow to work (some people start noticing around 8-12 weeks, some longer), then it is a little hard to know until you've probably waited this length of time to see.  So I reckon stay put for a good 3-4 months maybe and if you can't see any change whatsoever, then consider changing the dose.  If however you're working your way up to a particular dose, then maybe wait for the side effects to settle if you want to feel comfy before increasing again (as increasing does cause side effects for a while again).

No I don't remember problems with focusing, only my concentration.  When you have depression everything can look / seem different - things look greyer, dull.  The leaflet that comes with the meds does mention blurred vision as a possible side effect, so it could be that?

These things usually sort themselves out in time.

• Posted

Alright I'll see how 10mg works out and go from there. I would think concentration and focusing meant the same thing? Maybe they mean different things. However before the meds I can't pay attention when I'm being talked to but now I can pay attention and remember details but the focusing issues when reading is still there or maybe it's just my mind playing tricks with me? I don't know but I definitely know it's hard to focus when reading hopefully it goes away eventually. Thanks

• Posted

I haven't noticed any blurred vision my vision seems improved as I haven't worn my glasses ever since I got on meds as my eyes used to be dull and things don't look right. But ever since I got on meds I haven't felt the need to wear my glasses and lights don't bother me anymore. The mornings are still the worst but hopefully that improves.

• Posted

I'm also glad your depression/anxiety didn't come back considering how long ago you took these pills. For some people the depression comes back after a while and some need to stay on the pills for life. Hopefully that won't be the case for me.

• Posted

Ah - yes then if you mean concentration - I couldn't concentrate on anything, and I will say I'm still a bit like that now (maybe an age thing though). rolleyes  Yes mornings for me were always the worst, even though I felt ok by the evening.  I eventually started waking in the mornings with no anxiety - did feel weird at first......

I was on meds for 16 years and only came off this year - I did intend to stay on them for life.  I was on 20mg for years, then reduced to 10mg for a maintenance dose and stayed on that for further years.  I did start to feel curious if I could come off them and figured if I felt it coming back at any stage in my reduction then I'd just increase again.

Since being off them I'm now taking a natural SSRI 5-HTP and l-tyrosine (bought over the counter).  These can be started / stopped anytime without having to wean on / withdraw from and there's no side effects.  You can't take these if on prescription meds.  Yes anxiety / depression can return for some people and it did for me in the early days of taking these type of meds as I was switched from one to another.  I don't want to be without anything as don't want to risk the depression / anxiety returning so that's why I started on the non prescription tablets.  I took them 3 years ago for a year with great results (had to restart Citalopram due to the stress of family illness which began to take its toll on me) so having come off again I returned to 5-HTP and am having good results again.

But ..... I would never hesitate to return to Citalopram if I ever felt the need to.  They've been my saviour and don't know what I'd done without them.

• Posted

Wow 16 years that's a long time considering I'm only planning on staying on the meds short term but who knows. I heard your supposed to take the meds for at least a year to prevent the depression from returning but everyone is different. I've heard of 5htp and l tryptophan and St. John worth but some people have had serious side effects with those so I didn't bother with them. Hopefully I start making progress with the cits eventually.

• Posted

Yes was a long time, but I'd been a long time being ill too (16 years or so - with nothing helping) and I just didn't wan't to risk going back to those dark years again.  I had no problems being on the meds at all (once I'd got over the side effects) - but my curiosity got the better of me eventually to see how I'd be Cit free smile

Yes I've also read that staying on meds a good year is best as it helps prevent the illness from returning.

5-HTP is better than tryptophan because its the direct precursor to serotonin - the same brain chemical that Citalopram works on.  The amino acid tryptophan is needed for your body to produce 5-HTP.  So in effect you're by-passing the typtophan and going straight to the 5-HTP.  St Johns Wort works in a different way - something I took many years ago but didn't help at the time.

5-HTP can cause upset tummy and a few other things, but nothing like the side effects we get with Citalopram and other precribed SSRI's.  Its natural too.

I'm sure you'll feel the benefit of Citalopram in time - its such a relief when it finally starts working.

K x

• Posted

I still have the 25mg 5htp I bought and the 500mg tryptophan I bought both are still here and I haven't taken them but I'll see how the cits works and go from there. Like I said the mornings are still the worst but hopefully that improves, I still have a 20mg tabs but just taking 10mg for now to see if it's works first. Seems like the more you increase the side effects become more profound so my plans to take it slow and ease myself into the 20mg if I have to but knock on wood I won't have to.

• Posted

Don't take 5HTP or tryptophan though when you're taking Citalopram - you can't mix them.

You've been on these meds a week, is it?  They do take a long time to work so you won't see any benefit yet - but they really do work.  I didn't believe a pill could make me feel so well.  Progress is hard to see, but just keep going, whatever side effects you get, just keep on going, push on through it all and you'll see in time how well these work.

No the side effects don't become more profound the more you take.  If 5mg made you have some side effects, then when they've settled and you increase by another 5mg you'll probably just get the same intensity as before.  If however you jumped straight from 0mg to 20mg you'd get 4 x the intensity (hope that makes sense).  However, the side effects of any dose WILL settle.  Increasing your way up slowly as you're doing is a good way to do it.

It can be 3-4 months before you start noticing anything, could be sooner, or even longer.  But just keep going - the wait really is worth it.  During this wait you may be up and down, but being down doesn't mean the meds aren't working - they are - its just your body getting used to the meds.

You will get there.

• Posted

Thanks for the encouragement I've only been on them for a week so that's not long at all. When i first started on 5mg I felt great after a week then the depression came back so that's why I bumped it up to 10mg and it's been a roller coaster so far so hopefully they'll kick in soon. Thanks for the advise.

• Posted

That's quite typical of how these meds work - many feel good to start with followed by anxiety or depression.  These meds fox many people as they don't work like other meds.  

Keep in touch through your progress.  There may be some tough times ahead but remember to just keep going and be patient.  It really will pay off.

K x

• Posted

Do you recall any issues with constipation when you were on the meds? I've noticed severe constipation even though it's listed in the leaflet as a side effect not many people are experiencing this,I'm not sure if this is something that will pass or if I'll need to switch meds Ive heard Zoloft doesn't cause constipation but who knows if that's true I'll rather stick with celexa but this constipation needs to go. Any thoughts?

• Posted

And I've started getting these intense throbbing headaches as well not really sure if I can take ibuprofen with celexa or if this will pass it's very uncomfortable

• Posted

No I didn't - but everyone is different and I expect some people will suffer with this.  I suppose making sure you get lots of fibre in your diet, especially cereal may help?  Headaches too - yes you can definitely take Ibuprofen.  Headaches are probably a side effect - your body is adjusting still.

Hope it all settles xxx

• Posted

Both. They are more throbbing than painful and every time I'll shake or move my head they become more profound. I've never had this till I upped to 10mg. Very annoying

• Posted

Okay so you definitely had headaches as well I'm assuming glad I'm not alone in this I never had this till I upped to 10mg. It's like my heads in a fog now. Thanks for your recommendations/suggestions.

• Posted

Yes I had headaches and a dull feeling in my head at times.  These meds work on brain chemicals so its not surprising our heads take a little battering at times sad  ....... all good though at the end of the day lol.  

Some side effects can be horrendous, some annoying and some lingering ..... but they should all settle in time (hopefully) wink

K x

• Posted

I used to be on Paxil about 8 years ago and I think I had some of these side effects too but they're definitely uncomfortable and exhausting but I'll keep an eye on the throbbing headaches and see if it eventually goes away because I don't want to take ibuprofen yet if it's gonna go away but who knows.

• Posted

Hi Kate

I know you said you took 6 months to recover. I wandered when you felt you were no longer getting side effects and only benefits.

I know you have to weigh the negatives with any drug against the positives but it is so hard to know when to make that judgement. I need to stay on my dose of 20 now for sometime as I ve kept changing my dose over 4 months and only been on 20mg 10 days. I had an evening of clarity last night it was lovely but today feel anxious and headachey again. How long before I say the side effects are intolerable ? If they are side effects / withdrawals.

You always say be patient this will work but there must be some people they don t work for ? Or do they just give up too soon ?

• Posted

Its no easy journey getting better.  It really doesn't hurt taking Ibuprofen.  I was on these meds for 16 years and certainly didn't get through those years without occasonally having to take painkillers.

The journey does get easier ..... xx

• Posted

Hi Sarah

It was a long time ago I recovered and at the time I didn't know I was recovering and didn't know anyone else taking these meds, so had nobody to compare with.  I initially got side effects ie dry mouth, insomnia, heightened anxiety, nausea, and these wore off after about a month maybe, and I continued to get my usual anxiety and depression, with it sometimes feeling worse than other times.  As I progressed through the months I started getting moments of clarity just like you just described, and it also happened in the evening.  It then started happening most evenings, but every morning I'd wake with anxiety / depression.  This lovely feeling happened more and more and began to start earlier in the evening, then the afternoon, and so it crept more into my day - but, I'd still wake with anxiety / depression.

It was as this lovely feeling began to happen more regularly I started to see a pattern and realised then that I must be recovering.

It sounds like it could be starting for you if you've felt that lovely feeling.  I'm sure it'll come back - so just let it happen and those awful feelings that you still get should start to ease.  It'll still take time.

Being patient is really, really hard, and of course I wasn't either.  I was desparate for it to stop.  You can't hurry recovery - it'll happen in its own time.  Lots of people chase recovery - thinking increasing the meds will make them better quicker (some people of course do need a larger dose) or hopping from one medication to another thinking the one they're on isn't working because of the side effects and its not happening quickly enough for them.  You have to understand that the side effects and the symptoms will be with you for quite a while - you can't stop them overnight.  So let them be there, there's nothing you can do about that anyway, but in time they will ease off.

No, you don't know if the meds will work for you - but you have to give them enough time and stay on one dose in order to know this.  All SSRI's have to be given time to work and most will give you side effects.  These meds do not work overnight.  If you keep hopping from one meds to another too soon you'll never know which meds will work.  That's how patient we have to be.

Yes there are some people who they don't work for, but reckon the majority of them give up too soon, and sadly that is because some people can't tolerate the side effects.

These really are weird meds to take.

If you broke your leg it would take weeks, probably months before it had healed, and it would be painful during recovery, and after that you might still need a bit of physio to get back on your feel.  Recovering from this illness is the same.  It takes time for your body to heal.

Sorry for waffling on wink

K xx

• Posted

Hi Kate,

When I first started celexa as you may know I cut a 10mg in half and took 5mg. When I first took it I took it around noon and found that it made me sleepy and disoriented so I switched to nights around 8pm and I woke up feeling great and energetic. However it eventually stopped working and I had to increase to 10mg and now I take this at night too same time but the only difference is that I don't wake up feeling energized and refreshed anymore I wake up feeling like I can sleep for 20 more hours and I feel super lethargic it's awful non stop yawning and just overall spaced out disoriented feeling. Any thoughts on how to combat this or if it'll pass? Thanks.

• Posted

Hi Shawn

A lot of people get this, and its a side effect of the meds.  When you wake up, does the lethargic feeling last long, or do you feel like that all day?  Things to help - you could try taking the meds a little earlier in the evening maybe, make sure you get to bed at a good time, don't use a computer, laptop, phone etc a good hour before bed as the light plays havoc with your melatonin (sleep hormone) and could make you feel tired.

A few drops of lavender on the pillow can help to aid sleep, have the window open (brrrrr)!, and also how about a walk in the morning - nothing like fresh air to help wake you up.  Make sure you drink plenty of water too.

It usually wears off so give it a few weeks and see if it eases.

I used to take my meds in the morning - my stupid logic told me I'd get the full benefit from it during the day when I was awake ..... but in reality it doesn't matter when you take it really and everyone takes it at different times to suit them.

Annoying I know sad

• Posted

The lethargic feeling last all day although sometimes I feel like it's gone away but then I realize it's still there it comes in waves at times I can't feel it then it hits me like a brick wall definitely strange. I get up and just feel like I can lay in bed all day and not get up at all. I've thought about taking it earlier maybe evenings but I think that'll make the lethargic feeling worse during the evenings because as soon as I take it doesn't take long for the sleepiness to hit me.

I tried taking it 730pm instead of 8pm and I still get the same effects the next day. I'll admit though I don't get to bed till 12am. Maybe that has something to do with it but I know I get a good 8-9 hours of sleep regardless and still wake up feeling extremely lethargic so who knows and yes I use my iPhone a lot before bed as well.

I've thought about going for a walk in the mornings but until the meds fully kick in my depression is still worse in the mornings on top of the lethargic feeling makes me not motivated to even get out of bed. I'll try your ideas and hopefully this side effect passes.

• Posted

I reckon as its coming in waves then those waves will stop eventually then.  Maybe instead of taking it earlier, how about you take it later and then just go to bed.  Maybe taking it at 8pm and not going to bed until later, fighting off the sleep isn't good - just let your body do what it wants.

Yep - phones are a huge no no.  If you stop using it you'll probably find a huge difference to your sleep and that lethargic feeling.  It might actually be the phone, not the meds.  It has a lot to answer for.  So do a test - don't use your phone a good 2 hours before bed, take your meds and go straight to bed.  See if that helps.

Its hard getting motivated, but sometimes you have to step outside your comfort zone and push just that little bit?  Try it one day.  If you feel rubbish then at least you've tried.

K x

• Posted

Thanks I'll definitely lay off the phone and go to bed as soon as I take the meds hopefully that will help me out with this issue.

I have glasses that I usually wear when I use my phone that helps filter out the harmful lights but I don't wear them anymore maybe I should start again but nonetheless it definitely comes in waves like yesterday I thought I felt ok but then afternoon hits and I dosed off to sleep and napped for like 3 hours straight and woke up still feeling lethargic. Anyways hopefully it gets better soon.

• Posted

If I use my laptop, phone etc too much it really affects me, and can make me feel nauseaus at times too, and if I use it too late at night I'll be awake for ages with my brain buzzing rolleyes

Sleeping during the day doesn't really help either - I know you're probably tired, but maybe try and keep the sleep for the night time.

Lots of things to try anyway ...... hopefully it'll help sort that feeling of lethargy.

K x

• Posted

Hi Kate,

So I've started to get this rather strange side effect where several times I would wake up in the middle of the night and my heart fells like it was going to jump out of my chest even if I take a nap this happens only when I'm waking up from sleep or a nap. My whole body was shaking just from my heart beating, it doesn't necessarily beat fast just beats strong enough to shake my whole body. This feeling lasts for about 15-25 seconds. It def was not a panic attack. Any ideas?

• Posted

Hi Shawn

I'm not sure what that is, and though its probably nothing to worry about, its probably best to get checked out with the doctor.  

I used to get a sort of 'skipped' heart beat (or that's what it felt like anyway) which lasted a second or 2 and it wasn't unpleasant at all.  

K x

• Posted

Yeah I'm not sure either I wasn't sure if it can be a side effect that will pass, I notice that it mostly happens when I'm awaken suddenly like from an alarm or when my sleep is interrupted. I don't think it happens when I wake up on my own.

I don't use to get this before I started celexa so I'm not sure if there could be a connection.

• Posted

Did you ever get sort of like a flu like symptoms side effects like as if you have the flu but no temperature because I woke up this morning and I felt cold and sweating a bit but checked my temp and it's normal so I don't know if this might be a side effect or if I need to reduce the dose and cut a 10mg in half and see how that goes or just myself off completely and maybe try and different antidepressant. I just feel off like my brain is in a constant daze/spacedout.

• Posted

Might also want to add it's been cold out here too lately so not sure if it's just cold or the celexa

• Posted

No I've never had these symptoms, but have read other people have, and are a side effect I believe.  I wouldn't alter your dose - remember you should stick with one dose and accept whatever is thrown at you ..... at least for a good 2-3 months.  Side effects pass.

Just go with it - there are many strange things that happen when on these meds initially.  Accept all and pass on through.

K xx

• Posted

Thanks Kate, I hope these goes away eventually I know I haven't been on them for long and I'm only on 10mg. The mornings are still the worse I wake up feeling horrible with chills cold like symptoms etc. this can also mean I'm getting the cold or something but I just feel so weak and tired that it's alarming. I'm very optimistic that they'll work. Hopefully sooner.

• Posted

It could be the start of a cold of course - maybe try some cold remedy and see if it helps?  Feeling low and out of sorts can make you susceptible to colds at the moment too.  Take care of yourself - wrap up well, fluids, rest and hope it passes soon.

K x

• Posted

I think I'm the only one that's having really strong side effects from celexa now I'm getting strange ringing in my ears very mild tinnitus but I can tell it's there and my ear feels clogged and full. Very strange. I keep telling myself this all will pass but these are really strange side effects and scaring me.

• Posted

Rest assured, you're not the only one.  There's many on this site going through exactly the same as you.  I went through the same.  Tinnitus is common too - probably best to put some oil in your ears and go see your doctor as you may need ear syringing if your ears are blocked.  It may help.

Yes it will pass.  xx

• Posted

Thanks for reassurance, I think I'm just more sensitive to every thing that I notice even the slightest things . I'm not sure if it's just me but when I don't pay attention to the ringing it tends to go away but once I focus back on it comes back or I notice it's still there. I'm not exactly sure what a tinnitus is supposed to sound or feel like but I know there's definitely some noise/mild ringing in my ear and my right ear now vibrates intermittently.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.