Therapeutic cit dose

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi everyone!!!

Been on 5 mg cit for a week and I can tell the effects are wearing off and I might need to try 10mg. However I was wondering if this will be the case that I'll keep upping my dose indefinitely or will a particular dose maybe 10mg last me for years and won't wear off so quickly. Thanks.

0 likes, 82 replies

82 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It all depends on your GP, looking on the 5mg dose is a very low dose, your GP may increase this to a 10mg dose, then upward to 20mg. Are you cutting 10mg tablets.to give yourself the 5mg dose, should you be taking 10mg ??.

B.

• Posted

Yes I'm cutting the 10mg in half to get 5mg. I also have 20mg tabs that I can cut in half to get 10mg.

Per my gp, I was supposed to be taking 10mg for a week then upping to 20mg after that but I wanted to ease myself into it so I've been taking 5mg instead of 10mg for about two weeks now.

• Posted

Shawn you should not be cutting tbs, the doses you need to take should be 10mg, or 20mg, your crack a tablet and the dose will vary and your GP will know that. A split dose will not give you the relief you seek.

Trust your GP with your medications, splitting a drug is wasting the drug effect. When they say ten you take ten if He says take an increase to twenty, you take twenty. You are in ways stopping your recovery.

B.

• Posted

My GP and many people said if your to worried about side effects cut the tablet that's not a problem? People got so many different views on this drug I'm cutting mine in half tonight to start it

• Posted

I understand that but I initially took a 10mg dose and barely slept that night and felt sick and kept waking up to pee all night it was awful that's why I cut the tabs in half and that's been working for me till now. But maybe I should have stuck it out but at that time it was too much to bear but i know I might have to bear this soon if I'll need to increase my dose to 10mg.

There's a comment on this thread saying that it's normal to have ups and downs and it's not always good to increase your dose. Phew 😅 this can get really confusing sometimes.

• Posted

When you take your medication they are designed to work at various levels.Sometimes mediations an be on times release and there is a reason for that

The reason they do not make a 5mg tablet is generally it takes a 10mg tablet to introduce you to the drug, your GP will have worked on that dose to make sure the side effects you may suffer will be able to introduce you to a 20mg dose. The rough 5mg dose you take is not designed to work properly in fact the lower drug could fail to give you relief and it will stop working at any level.

I understand the concerns you have with AD medications, you are in all intents and purposes not allowing the drug to work.

I take AD medications and Opiates to name three, I was trained to take my pain medications and am trusted to vary doses for pain,, I am trusted because they know I will not go against my script

Please follow your Doctors advice, you want to be well, so allow your medications to work 

You will need to allow a four week period for the 10mg to work and will possibly suffer side effects. If you need to talk I am here to support you

B.

• Posted

Thanks for the detailed explanation, if you don't mind me asking what dose are you on and how long have you been on it? Have you felt the need to up your dose? As I understand, a certain dose tends to stop working and some will up their dose. I was wondering if you've experienced this and your thoughts because I'll love to stay on a certain dose for a long time and won't have to up the dose. Thanks

• Posted

like you say trust your doctors advise I don't believe so does that doctor have anxiety/depression does he take this tablet so how do he know 5mg is not okay every human body is different I'm going to start myself on 5mg my GP is happy with that

• Posted

The drug comes in 10mg doses, you follow the script

With regard AD and medical professionals, you may be very suprised what they need to take to get through their lives. 

I have not heard a GP agree to a 5mg dose of this drug. To put your mind at rest, go on the NHS CHOICES pages and look up your medication. The actual cracking the medication will not give a full half dose so the tablet becomes inneffective.

Every GP works through MIMMS this explains each drug and it beneficail effects and any problems associated with it. I cannot see a GP cracking a tablet in this case. Talk to your GP about this your GP will say what is advised. When push comes to shove your are an adult ? you make your own decisions.

Sorry that is all I can advise, your medications are your concern as is your doctors advice.

Good Luck 

• Posted

I take a 20mg dose half an hour before bed time, I also take Amytryptalene for suppression of nerve pain , that is another AD.

I will be on above fr the rest of my life with Opiates.

Your GP will be expecting you to take 10/20mg daily, you are not supposed to split doses

• Posted

Thanks I will be seeing my gp today and will be talking to him about what's been going on.

So I'm assuming the 20mg has been working for you for however long you have taken them and you haven't seen any need to up your dose to let's say 30mg or even 40mg as most people on here..

• Posted

Usual starting dose is 20mg, increase to 40mg if necessary. . . But this should be discussed with your doc and/or pharmacist/pyschiatrist. You definitely should not be making those decisions by yourself. Best of luck. 
    • Posted

Thanks for responding. I'm not taking 10mg and hope I stay on that for a while and won't need to increase. I see that usually people end up going up to 20mg eventually. Hoping for the best. Fingers crossed.

• Posted

Shawn,

1 week is way too soon to be seeing any serious results. The first week I was on them I had a really good placebo effect and felt great. That's when the real process began. I'm on week 12 and still have bad days but they are fewer. I have been on 20mg the whole time. With that being said 5mg is a low dose so I would imagine you'll eventually need to bump up until you find a good dose.

• Posted

Thanks for responding I've actually stopped taking celexa Ive developed severe tinnitus I'm assuming was a rare side effect of celexa and I've stopped the medication to deal with the tinnitus and try a different medication maybe later or find ways to deal with my depression naturally with supplements etc.

• Posted

Hi Shawn. How are you going? Have you still got the tinnitus? If you do I think you will be able to get rid of it, there is a man on youtube who has cured his tinnitus and is helping many other people to heal theirs as well. His videos are free and think they can help you. just look up his name "julian cowan hill" on youtube.

I believe his healing methods are really powerful and may also be able to help you with depression.

I am thinking of taking ctialopram so I am also wanting to know if the tinnitus has gone down since you have stopped.

Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.