There is a light to be seen!!

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi everyone in my TKR family.  I can't begin to thank you all enough for your support and encouragement throughout this journey.  Three months of sitting in a recliner in my bedroom...alone.  But not really alone because I had all of you.  I just wanted to share my update and maybe encourage someone in a similar situation.  After 11 weeks post op, after many tears and worries about my ROM, I had to return to work in my classroom filled with fourth graders.  I was at -8 (straightening) for a long time so I had to wear a brace which helped me get to a -6.  For over a month I was hovering around a -5/6.  But within two weeks of returning to work, today at pt, I was a -2 straighten and 126 bend.  I really think my improvement is related to moving, walking, standing, working, thinking of other things besides my ROM, and joining life again.  Yes, I'm really tired and achy at the end of the day, but I'm not limping any more!  YAHOO!!  Stepping out of that dark tunnel of recovery, is actually helping my recovery!  So don't despair if you are still sitting in your recliner...you are not alone.  And once you are well enough to step back into your life, I'm hoping you will see a light at the end of your tunnel, too!

8 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Good luck to you and may it be onwards and upwards.  You have given me hope - I am 2 weeks post TKR and in total agony, I thought it would get a little better each day, but no luck.   Nice to hear some good news at last. Regards. J
    • Posted

There is a lot of good news here, as long as people remember to share their longer term progress! ☺
    • Posted

For the majority of people a knee replacement results in improved quality of life...in the end! But fear and anxiety are real killers in the early days when the mind goes a bit bonkers in response to the trauma of surgery. We are challenged on all fronts, possibly in a way we have never experienced before. It takes energy and determination with patience and faith. But there is a way, and you will and can take yourself through it.

Take a look at my profile and skim through my blog if it helps. It was written to convey the need for patience, something our cultures in the western world are not really geared up to! It has a lot of useful suggestions and information. Everyones journey is very different but it can be reassuring to read of others trials and tribulations, as well as see progress made...at its own pace, unique to the individual.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

I am 5 days post op tkr and want to say I am also in total agony.  But as I continue to following everyone on this forum, I have hope.   Somehow I believe patience must be our guidance to progress...let's keep our faith Janet.

• Posted

Janet I'm only 7 weeks after op .And like you I was in agony and kept thinking how was I going to get through it .But I joined this site and it gives you hope and advise and I've found them all to be a great help .Just take your time and things will come together soon .good luck with your recovery .

• Posted

A positive mental attitude cannot be emphasised enough when recovering from a tkr and your post puts claim to that very statement. It's very easy to get caught up in the negatives when pain and swelling effects our abilty to conquer the most mundane daily activities, often giving cause to depressive thoughts, then seemingly becoming twofold when we tackle the journey alone. Your post gives hope to others who find themselves caught up in the often never ending tkr rollercoaster of emotions. Yes-its a tough road but one where a never say die attitude will see you charging forward. Find a positive in each day-whether its in what we say, do or think. Small steps, big outcomes.

Well done need1knee-your post rings of positiveness.

• Posted

Yes, so well expressed! Quite a joy to read the positives too...to know someone is reaping the rewards of the surgery, which is in essence a wonderful thing, with potential to give someone their life back. 😊

• Posted

It's important for those in the early stage of tkr recovery (and those contemplating a tkr ) to know -positive outcomes are in the majority (not minority) of tkr parients, which is why it's important for those who seemingly "breeze" through their recovery, relay that information (not forgetting to mention the odd little setback) through feedback forums such as this. People sometimes just need to know-they're not alone- and what they're experiencing is part and parcel of a tkr recovery and that someone "out there" gets it.

• Posted

Great achievement well done. Yes as Janet says you give us hope. I am 2 months pas t a partial knee and although gave good rom (125 and straight) after 15 minutes of walking I am very very sore and start to limp again. It must be just more time needed. Fingers crossed.
  • Posted

Wonderful! Thank you for sharing! I love the way you have communicated the mental step of "stepping out of that dark tunnel of recovery". We get so used to thinking about our knee. ..and there comes a point when while we need to notice how it is, we don't need to have our life revolve around it!

Thank you again for sharing! Having posts on all phases of recovery is really helpful and helps keep the forum wide with a range of experiences. I would encourage anyone else reading the posts and in earlier stages of recovery to make a mental note try and post later on down the line also...its always a lovely thing to see someone reap the rewards of their surgery!

• Posted

SO GLAD to hear that YOU MADE IT!!!😄 I'm sure your fourth graders were excited to have you back!

My surgeries were done AFTER I retired from teaching, so I could use my own sweet time getting back to normal again. I admire your tenacity in getting back to your classroom again in just three months!🎉😄🎉

I think you have a really good point when you say that getting back into your life again, moving and thinking about other things helps recovery. I can only imagine how challenging it has been to know that you must WAIT to take that NAP! (I found that at your stage of recovery after busying myself with some project or being out shopping or working in the yard that when I needed to rest I needed to STOP right then! It was like my batteries lost their charge suddenly. I had the luxury of just STOPPING. For you, you had to WAIT until break time or after school was over for the day.)

My hat is off to you!

You are a SUPER STAR in my book!

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

• Posted

Congratulations!  I am so happy that you are back at work and have progress so much. I remember your very first post. I told you that it will get better with the exercise and time.  I am still struggling with my bend, but I will also get there. I also used the brace that you used, but it did not work for me. My surgeon order another kind of brace so I can reach 120 bend. I exercise everyday and continue  to have a positive attitude. This is a great group and someone will always answer when people have questions. Best wishes - J-21370
  • Posted

Hi its so good to hear you'r doing well and back at work seem's to be helping,my story is i got TKR 28th feb age 55 i struggled with bend would nit go past 55 after trying with p.t. for what seemed like for ever i was offered a manipulation which i had on the 18th july it's only in past two weeks i feel small changes every day, my bend 80 but with exercise and pt twice a week im feeling positive il get there,my walking not brilliant but it's getting there i go back to work tomorrow 4 hours a day first week 5 hours second wk and on third week i do two day's the off on holiday for two weeks for some sunshinebiggrin and im hoping to go back full time once im back hol's with my job i'm on feet all day but my work been good so i can sit if i have to or cut back hours but with not much wages through most of this im hoping to be back full timesad so there is a light at end of tunnel will take time but we will get there im still on that journey but feeling more positive recently as i have in along time.good luck to everyone and keep posting x

• Posted

Oh.... I so needed to hear that. I'm almost 4 month out and so stiff. I have great extension but only 110 degree bend and that is with my PT pushingsad he says I am not plateaued but it sure feels like it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.