There is more to life than Citalopram

Posted , 13 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

About a month ago I joined this forum to discuss my life without Citalopram. I have discovered to my great physical cost what a truly nasty drug this is. However, the only notifications I get are from people lauding this drug and actively encouraging people to stay on it. This is not why I joined. Good luck to those who continue with these meds.

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi. I would love to hear your experience with coming off them. I have been taking for over 10 yrs and am in process of weaning off them now x
    • Posted

Hi lorraine

I was on citalopram for over 10 years then it just stopped working what I can say with my experience is if I would have known what I know now I would have never started them but that's to late now last 3 years have been hard tried lots of ad's with no joy from what I went though with cit is it doesn't solve the problems it just masks things and numb things I'm staring to deal with my problems instead of just taking ad's to mask things what I would say to people is try all the natural things first before starting ad's exercise eat good things councilin Cbt meditation yoga only use ad's as a last resort ??

• Posted

Hi Don, pleased you are feeling better. AD's do not mask problems....they raise the amount of serotonin in your brain so you can overcome problems with more reasonable thoughts.....you start to do your own form of CBT

• Posted

They do mask thing you can raise the amount of serotonin with out ad's naturally

• Posted

Of course you can raise serotonin naturally with diet, exercise, sunlight (Vit D), but many depressed people just need that little bit of lift from meds to do these things, then own motivation takes over.  People call them "happy pills"......they are no such thing.  Once you are well, your own brain takes over, and you produce your own serotonin with happy thoughts and experiences,

• Posted

I'm not saying they don't help because they can help its just in my experience people should try their best to do it the natural way first is just you go to your doctor saying you feel low and they just throw them at you without explaining the side effects of going on them and coming off them

• Posted

I agree in theory and principle Don, though my sister in law had to be sectioned after the stress of my brothers illness...she had stopped eating, poor hygiene (nil in fact), and she had to have ECT......left to her own devices she would have died.  The meds got her well, but she then didn't think she needed them, stopped taking them, and ended up back in the unit. Medical intervention was definitely needed in her case.  I agree that some  gps hand them over too readily, I know natural remedies are far better, but even though I'm much better after 3 weeks, I still cannot be bothered with exercise, though I do eat healthily.  The sun is beautiful out there, I know I should be sitting out, but watching Olympics.  They do actually say that meds shouldn't be given for mild depression, but my sister in law had severe depression with psychosis.  ECT was starting to help...she had four successful doses, but the fifth time produced a mini stroke.

• Posted

Yes, exercise, fresh air, sunlight (or Vit D supplements), good diet to include fruit veg and oily fish.

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up