Thick mucus stuck & cant breathe

Posted , 3 users are following.

Gory details alert!

Every time i get a cold literally since being a child (im a female and now 27), i always get this horrible thick mucus/ phlegm that comes along with it what is literally horrendous! I dont know if its stuck on my chest, throat or what. I have got it again now and i would love to know what it is exactly. Basically when i start feeling the symptoms of a cold with the sneezing, sore throat, feverish etc, i start off with something that feels like a golf ball in my throat, it feels extremely tight and irritating so i try and clear my throat, but every time i do it gets worse and it just feels and sounds really dry! After a couple of days it gets worse and worse and then my breathing becomes harder. No matter what i do it just doesnt shift and i am left struggling to breathe for over a week! In this time i am inhaling steam, vapour rubs, drinking hot drinks, getting someone to smack my back and god knows what else but it just wont losen! Steam losens it a little but if i try and cough it just gets stuck even more and blocks my airway even more! After about a week i think it starts to losen naturally because i can feel it make my breathing worse! But having to cope with this for this amount of time is terrible. Last year when i had it (literally this time last year) i was laying in bed trying to sleep and i just got so mad with it that i coughed super hard and i moved it but it got stuck even more and i was gasping for air!!! I pushed really hard with my lungs and i basically threw it up with sick! When i look at it, its just like a lump of yellow jelly/ jello whats abit like snot but way thicker and stickier and then suddenly i can breathe again! Sometimes it will leave me woth a cough but if the phlegms loose i dont mind! I have to go through the same process everytime i get a cold for the past 20 odd years! Can anybody tell me what it could be? Or tell me if there is any remedies to help because there is nothing scarier than being unable to breathe 😦 thank you.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

So I just had a really nasty chest infection which sounds similar to the symptoms you are having. The only thing to clear it was antibiotics, but you need to take the whole course otherwise it may come back. Also something like boots cold and flu all in one helps a bit. It has a decongestant and an ingredient to help with the coughing. Have you been to the doctors and explained it all to them? If this is something you have had all your life there may be an underlying medical condition.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.