Things that make me smile after having TKR surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

It occured to me the other day, there are some amusing things about having the total knee replacement done.  Yes I know it hurts, and there have been occasions when I've regretted having it done, along with endless sleepless nights.  But I do quite often smile to myself.  Does anyone else have things they find funny, or have I just got a warped sense of humour?

1: Putting underpants / Knickers on.  I find myself dangling them down towards my foot (on the operated leg) trying to lassoo my foot with them and of course get it in the right hole.  Many is the time, I've managed to get the foot into the wrong hole!

2: I take a smallish cushion to bed with me, so that I can either put it under my knee, if I'm lying on my back, or if I'm lying on my side, between my knees, as I find one knee laying on top of another is too heavy and hurts.  I've become so expert in using it now, as I change position in the night, I can move it about and into the right place without thinking about it.  It's become almost like a childs comfort blanket!!!

3: I keep a mental note of the last time I took some pain killers and what time I can have some more...It's become an obsession!!smile

4: I find myself doing my exercises out in public, just to see the expression on peoples faces as they pass by...Have I turned into an exhibitionist?

5: I keep 'tapping' the outside of my knee (which since the op has gone numb) just to see if the feeling has suddenly come back!

6: When I'm standing (making a cuppa or something) I find myself slouching to one side, and putting my body weight on the 'good' leg, then realise and tell myself off for not standing 'properly'.

I'm sure I can think of many other instances, and I'm sure others can too.  But the things listed above, do make 'me' smile.  Am I bit weird?  Is it 'just' me?

2 likes, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

• Posted

This made me smile too cos I do ALL of those! Also find myself humming Monty Python's "Always look on the bright side of life" from the film Life of Brian (sung so brilliantly by the late Graham Chapman as his character,Brian,is being crucified....apologies to any religious readers)
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm so glad that you can laugh, you must be better then you think.   (I hope). For he I try yo not talk about my discomfort or pain.  I'm sure others aren't interested, but on bad days it's hard to thinking other stuff.

i too remind myself to put all my weight on my new knee, every chance I get now.  I just feel my other leg isn't as strong as it once was, and I know having this surgery and leading up to it realky took a toll on it.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes I agree with you Sharon.  If you've read my blog and all the moaning and whinging I did on there, you'll see it definitely wasn't a picnic, and still isn't to be honest.  But additionally I do still see the funny side of things...It's the absurdity of the things you do...or think...things that if you hadn't had the operation that would never even cross your mind!
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

very amusing

Richard

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

always look on the bright side of life lol, yea ive also done these . i have a vision in my head of my bear bum in thr air while playing hoop lar with me feet ,we have a big car that is quite high , so when i get in i go back wards then swivel round the right way ,then do the same to get out , kind of sliding down ,so no your not that weird or not on your own smile
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Debbie....I loved your description of playing hoop-la....Very funny!

Yes I have 'issues' with getting into and out of cars.  If I'm driving, my right leg being the operated one, I have to slide the seat back as far as it will go, and have the door as wide as it will go in order to be able to get my 'dodgy' leg in.  I parked in a multi storey car park the other week, and because I was quite close to the car next to me and not able to fully open the door, I found I simply couldn't get out of the car, because my knee wouldn't bend far enough!  I eventually had to move the car somewhere else, where I was able to open the driver door fully.  smile  If I'm a passenger however, getting in and out isn't a problem, cos if needs be, you can get in and out without having to bend your knee at all.  Just another of the silly obstacles we have to negotiate!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

lol memories of that right knee ,i remember having to park in child places in oeder to get me leg out ,luckly i have a grandson who has a child seat , but it is easier with the left leg , doing my nut in not driving decided to give it another week then im off , i hate all this asking for a lift to do shopping or going to the pub lol, tried to have a bath this morning got half way in and changed my mind didnt fancy calling for help ,stuck in the bath of cold water all naked and no bubbles just didnt wanf to scare any one . but i do know it will get better , my only problem at the mo is benifits , my esa ran out as they decided i was fit for work and stoped my money and sent me to the job centre lol , i have a job full time in a school this was july 14 th and we were out for summer so cant get job seekers ,but because i can walk 200 mtrs either on crutchers or in a wheel chair im fit for work , i was really anoyed at this till i read there questions of which you have to score 15 points ,i scored 0 , i had to laugh at what kind ot muppet makes these rules up ,some of the questions are just so stupid , just another obstacle smile

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up