Think I'm out of the Woods!

Posted , 13 users are following.

15 weeks TKR.

Think I'm out of the woods now and into the parklands with just a few tree stumps to be careful not to fall over!

This is for all the amazing people who have  helped me on this long and hellish journey and picked me up when I was down with all the issues that TKR brings.

Its also for all the people who are on this journey. There is an end to it, I know some of you think you will never reach the end of this road, I know I did, but you will.

Old Fat Guy who is the 'go to' with most probems. Fools if you dont listen to him.

Cheryl who is an amazing and lovely soul who sent me such beautiful and thoughtfu messages.  She is the one person I would love to meet personally and get a hug from her.

Sue Isobel who sent me flower picture when I was at my lowest ebb and I would call friend. cheesygrin

Irish Linda who is now a friend. Up the Republic! smile

My foster daughter Jodie who is still on the road, but will get there  Xlol

The lovely John who has travelled the road with me and is at the same stage that I'm at now.

Donna (Damy), Scottish Liz, Martina and many many more. I'm sorry if I have left some of you out.

I am off all meds now, but STILL doing my stretching, walking and icing. Pain is nothing like it was and is perfectly manageable now without painkillers (unless I do something stupid!).

Finally and again. Thank you thank you.  I would not be here today and still sane without you all.

All my love

Ann

The Irish One cheesygrin

XXX

5 likes, 26 replies

Report / Delete

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ann. You have just given so many of us the strength and motivation to carry on. I am only 5 weeks post op and still feel it will never end.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Glad to hear you sounding so positive, Ann.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks Patsy.

I think its important to spread some positive stories to all that are going through the very painful process of TKR

Hazel when I was at your stage I thought it would never end and I would never get my life back. But eventually you will. My whole life revolved around painkillers! Keep doing all your stretching (I refuse to call it physiotherapy!) just pull back if it hurts too much, or you will pay and set yourself back. Ice ice ice. Walk a little bit every day and increase when you feel you can.  Softly, softly, gently gently. But above all, one thing we find the hardest to have PATIENCE! smile

Best wishes on your journey.

Ann X

The Irish One

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Ann!

SO HAPPY to hear that you are feeling so much better! It is such a wonderful thing when you can turn the corner and find some peace and healing!

Thank you for your kind words. Your good news brought tears to my eyes!

How are things with your mom, your husband, and your sister?

Sending hugs of joy to you across the pond!😄

💗. 😊. 💗. ☺. 💗. 😁. 💗. 🙌. 💗. 😄. 💗. 😊. 💗

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Congrats and good work. You played in a rough league with this surgery and come out on top. You may occassionally get a whisper of unusual pain and such as spring rains come and go but they will leave as abruptly as they come. Wishing you a continued safe journey and great life
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Ann, I feel the same as you.  I am at 14 weeks and was able to go back to my bowling league three weeks ago.  Yesterday I even went to the driving range and hit some golf balls (not well, but that's another story).

It's so nice to be able to think about normal life and not think about THE KNEE every waking moment.  

Congrats on your progress!

Tim

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Ann, 

so happy to hear that ur finally doing so much better.

you are a doll and have helped so many of us, as well. How are ur sister , mom and hubby??

you are a trooper for dealing with so much as you have gone through ur recovery. I only hope all good things for you and ur family.

continue to keep us posted and I will do , as well.

i see my surgeon on the 15th, so will report in after that. I saw my GP on Tuesday. He didn't have a lot to add, just to take Tylenol extra strength 3x/day and an herbal anti inflammatory . When I complained about being tired , he said: u know u r 71!!!! I thanked him for reminding g me!!!! Lol. 

He also did a blood work up and I'm waiting to hear the results.

keep feeling better and better! Thanks again, for the person you are!

love, Damy (Donna)

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks my foster Mum Ann

You have been my support through all this and you know I thank you with all my heart.

They are such lovely words about great people. The old fat guys, Cheryl's, Linda's and the Sue's and like you said so much more. How would us newbies go on. I love you all and I have never meet you.

It's such a shocking, scary bloody surgery. I don't know anyone close that has it done so the people on here are my go to and it's a safe place to express how we feel and great to know your not alone.

I am so happy for you my foster mum Ann. You have had a tough time of it lately and it's great to hear you are doing so well. I will get there like you said. I now walk with no aides...yippee.

Will chat to you soon.

Love from down under Jo

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

you deserve to get to the winning post !!!!biggrinxx
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Oh Irish Ann I do remember you giving everyone encouragement as well as many many others on here. I was lucky enough to find this site before my surgery and what a blessing it has been.

Firstly all of you prepared me (or at least warned me) about the pain and long, slow recovery afterwards. Without all of you I would have gone into this Hell Hole blindfolded. My brother had recently had hip surgery and said it was a piece of cake. Hmmm not so much!!! I gather that there is a big difference between the two. He can't understand why I had to take so many painkillers when he hardly took any. I tried to explain to him what I was going through but he still doesn't get it so now I just tell him I probably have a very low pain tolerance. This board and the people on it are my lifesavers. Thanks to all of you for your kind words, support, suggestions, and everything else you have given to all of us going through the same or similar things. God Bless you all

Canadian Bev

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

You r so right, Bev, my husband had his hip replaced and my knee was a much longer recovery w/ many more weeks of pain killers. I was told numerous times that the knee is so much more difficult than the hip. It's so hard to be beholden to the opinions and judgement of others. We just need to take care of ourselves despite outside influences.

i too, thank everyone here. It's a special club and we r here to help each other .

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes for sure. Take care of yourself and don't overdo no matter what others say or think. If we take a little longer to heal than others think we should it is ok. Much better than doing too much and then having a setback. Take care

Bev

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

As has been said many times, stay away. From those that want to relate and believe stories of amazing full 4 week recoveries. Marathons in 8 weeks, mountain climbing and repelling in 6 weeks. Its all hearsay and garbage. Its like the hospital visitor that comes to give you comfort and proceeds to lay out a personal history of medical woes that leaves you being the comfort giver. Stay focused on the process and don't rush it.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

bev my husband had a hip done and after 4wks he was driving he never took a pain med from the day he came home . he does need a knee done but i scared him big time !!! he has a bow in his leg but hanging in there ,   mind you i cant blame him as i think myself and OFG are the longest ones recovering, here . but im still only a baby compared to him .he has been through much much more than me . 

so bev soldier on he has no idea believe me when it comes to tkr ,and he is so lucky he didnt need one .xx

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up