Think I'm out of the Woods!

Posted , 13 users are following.

15 weeks TKR.

Think I'm out of the woods now and into the parklands with just a few tree stumps to be careful not to fall over!

This is for all the amazing people who have  helped me on this long and hellish journey and picked me up when I was down with all the issues that TKR brings.

Its also for all the people who are on this journey. There is an end to it, I know some of you think you will never reach the end of this road, I know I did, but you will.

Old Fat Guy who is the 'go to' with most probems. Fools if you dont listen to him.

Cheryl who is an amazing and lovely soul who sent me such beautiful and thoughtfu messages.  She is the one person I would love to meet personally and get a hug from her.

Sue Isobel who sent me flower picture when I was at my lowest ebb and I would call friend. cheesygrin

Irish Linda who is now a friend. Up the Republic! smile

My foster daughter Jodie who is still on the road, but will get there  Xlol

The lovely John who has travelled the road with me and is at the same stage that I'm at now.

Donna (Damy), Scottish Liz, Martina and many many more. I'm sorry if I have left some of you out.

I am off all meds now, but STILL doing my stretching, walking and icing. Pain is nothing like it was and is perfectly manageable now without painkillers (unless I do something stupid!).

Finally and again. Thank you thank you.  I would not be here today and still sane without you all.

All my love

Ann

The Irish One cheesygrin

XXX

5 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Bev

How many weeks post op are you now?

At least you had an idea it would take longer than you would think, I hadnt a clue. They just dont tell you.   I thought at around 5-6 weeks Bingo! I'd be better!!! Not even nearly at that stage. Its around that time that depression sets in, you just feel you are getting nowhere. Thats when this forum steps into play.  Everyone is so kind and helpful and it just gives you the boost that you need to pick yourself up and keep going.

I still do all my stretching, walking and icing.  I know the difference if I dont! I seldom take painkillers now.  But it is so much better now than it was and the 'log leg' doesnt kick in so often now, only when I do too much. Mine just needs time now to settle down completely.  I am one of the lucky ones I think, even though it didnt feel like it at the time!

Good luck on your continuing journey and like me you will get there.

Ann X

The Irish One!

• Posted

I am 14 weeks TKR. I still have good days and bad days. Like you said. Log leg when I do too much. I am stubborn and don't take meds anymore so I still have sleepless nights. I have my next surgery booked for September. I have a busy summer so don't want to deal with it until fall.

I was in hell for the first two days in the hospital. My call bell didn't work, which I didn't know at the time, so I was calling and calling when my freezing came out. When I finally got their attention the freezing was out well below the knee. They gave me pills but , hello, pills take time to work so they gave me a "shot to take the edge off". Well I guess the next time they decided to check on me I was already blue. So they had to call a code on me. When they finally got me to come around half the hospital was circled around my bed. And yes I am going to go through it again. This time I am going to make darn sure the blinking bell works ha ha ha.

Everyone has different stories. Some good some bad. Like OFG. My gosh he has been through hell. As I have said again and again I am so very thankful for this forum.

Take care or at least take it easy

Canadian Bev

• Posted

I didn't get put right out. They gave me a spinal that froze me from above the waist down to my toes. I was awake during my surgery, which was an experience I don't even want to talk about. I thought they would give me some kind of sedative that made me kind of woozy....but nope..... Wide awake.......
    • Posted

I too, had a spinal. I had to request it as I didn't want the effects from regular anesthesia. I WAS NOT AWAKE! They did sedate me. I can't even imagine going thru it that way!!
    • Posted

Me too Damy. Spinal and sedation. It was great and the recovery out of it was so much better than with general. Didn't even notice the catheter (thank goodness).
    • Posted

I als had a pain block, that lasted for about 24 hours.
    • Posted

Yes I know. It was HELL. I kept waiting for them to give me some happy juice but nope it didn't happen so then I started panicking when I heard the equipment being used and the anesthesiologist said your blood pressure is two hundred and twenty something you had better do something about it And so I'm like ME do something ahhh ok. Happy place Bev go to a happy place. I start trying to think of my grandkids and vacations we took and deep breathing and anything I could think of to calm down. Believe me I am going to ask for some happy juice next time. And I sure as heck don't want the same anesthesiologist again.
  • Posted

I am delighted to hear your news. In pain and unable to sleep can be a lonely place. My husband is 9 weeks today and although he now wakes less in the night with pain say three times he is able to get back to sleep..He is on 2 zapain twice a day and is 9 weeks post tkr today. No swelling unless he overdoes it. He said at this stage the exercises with weights 2x2.5 kilos around his ankles help straighten his leg plus he can feel the stretch on the muscle, all this recommended by his pt .. He still has pain but can manage it at night i am pleased to report and for the first time he can actually say hes glad he had the tkr .. Now talks about having the other knee done same time next year.. Hope is out there for you all some just take more time than others, sending all the best wishes to you all
  • Posted

I feel same way about this site is been a rough journey for me to order pain and depression I came to the site and found wonderful help all the advice that anyone has given me regarding icing and medication and exercise , has been greatly appreciated and very helpful tool I'll be three months from my surgery and finally I'm able to get some more sleep medication been doing home exercises with physical therapy I want think anyone responded to my problems and thank you all for all the replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.