Thinking about asking my doctor to add propranolol with my citalopram

Posted , 6 users are following.

Not sure if many people here got experience with the two. I’ve been on 20mg citalopram for about 4 years now, worked amazing the first 6 months or so, and then just ok afterwards. My anxiety been really, really unbearable the past month so I went up to 30mg. Been on it now for 4 weeks, but the past few days been the worst of my life.

I feel like if I can just get rid of that adrenaline feeling from my panic attacks, I’d be completely fine. My anxiety would be minimum and my depression would slowly go away. I can live with bad thoughts and feeling a bit down, but it’s those panic attacks that make me wanna end it all.

They’re so uncomfortable. It’s like my whole body is on fire. Then they’ll go away and come back multiple times. This always happens at night while I’m trying to sleep by the way. Then I’ll have to take a Benzo and feel awful about that because I feel like I’ll become addicted and I’ll never sleep without them again (even if I’m just taking them for a few nights).

I’ve heard a lot of success with propranolol for panic attacks, so I was wondering if it was a good idea to add at night time to get rid of those flight or fight symptoms. At least then I’ll be comfortable.

So should I add this to my 30mg of citalopram or just get an increase to 40mg (never went that high before).

Obviously I will be discussing this with my doctor, just wanted to see a few other peoples experiences first.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi the 30mg will take up to 12 weeks to see full benefit. Your increased anxiety is likely a side effect of the dose uppage. Propronol will certainly help, but I would get CBT or counselling to try and work out the root cause of your anxiety. I would also recommend meditation at night for your sleep and it helps with anxiety too...deep relaxation.

• Posted

Sadly, I’m on a long waiting list to see someone for therapy. And I’ve been meditating for about a month now. It helps a little but not with these awful panic attacks.

I’ve been on 30mg before and I’ve never had these side effects which make me worried that they’re not working this time or the dose isn’t high enough to calm this high amount of anxiety.

If I can just settle these panic attacks I’d be able to focus on getting better.

• Posted

It is definitely side effects and will settle. This medication has this effect on all of us. I'm on my 3rd time with citralopram and its really rotten. I have my emergency diazapam aswell. Use it but just with caution as I am sure you are. Try not to fear the anxiety, exercise and stop alcohol and continue meditation. Its all long term....unfortunately no quick fixes with anxiety.

• Posted

all that the proponol do is slow down your heart.its not an anti anxiety med.take your benzo problem solve.

• Posted

I wouldn’t expect it to stop all my anxiety, but I was hoping if I took it before bed it would stop those awful fight or flight symptoms. At least when I needed it, whether it’s for one night or a month.

My most uncomfortable symptoms with panic attacks is the adrenaline itself rushing through my body making me feel like I’m on fire, and restlessness.

• Posted

my experience is that it doesn't really help that feeling. Your citralopram will start working again very soon, stay positive, although its hard.

• Posted

the adrnaline and fire feeling is from you upping dosage.best regards

• Posted

hi, one of the side effects of propranolol is insomnia unfortunately

• Posted

i've been on 30mg propranolol for anxiety for a year it's never effected my sleep doc has prescribed me 10mg citalopram to take and i'm weary of taking it as i've read all the side effects freaking me out

• Posted

possibly only effects some people, propranolol made my hands freezing and my sleep worse also gave me bad stomach acid!

• Posted

you coukd definitely try it . my psych told me to take 40mg twice a day. it definsteky makes you calmer but i found it a bit odd as i still felt anxious but body didnt respond so it was a weird kind of disconnect. it definately works for some people though so give it a go. i has that a lot when i started the 20 a month ago. my psych has now put me on a low dose of lorazepam twice a day for a few weeks as i was getting so anxious and desperate. it has definately helped to reset things a bit.

• Posted

I’m fine with being a bit anxious, just not the full on panic attacks lol.

My appointment isn’t till next week anyways so I’ll wait and see. I’m probably going to try taking my lorazepam each night till then, although the last time I took them they did nothing (even though I only take them a few times out of year), hopefully I was just unlucky and they were duds.

• Posted

how much do you take? i find 0.5 just takes the edge off so for full blown panic attacks reckon you would need 1mg or even more

• Posted

if its bad i reckon take 2. dont worry about taking them. i was like you so resistant but my paych convinced me to take them-said he haa people on them all the time just tapers them off and then theyre fine - never had any problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.