Thinking about starting orlistat

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Girls!!!

I have to say this discussion board is very inspiring. I am thinking of starting Orlistat and it was suggested by my GP aswell. I am 13st 12 and 5ft 4ins, so have to lose 3-4 stone according to my BMI. Will Orlistat work?

I am a little worried about taking it as I have heard lots of mixed reviews about embarrassing side effects like oily poo and farting, ha ha. Does this really happen? and is it really bad?

I need your help, advice and encouragement to keep me on track. I have tried so many diets and and the most I lose is a stone and then I gradually put it back on again and before I know it I'm back to where I started!!!!

Help please

Claire x x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Claire3686

I sympathise with you. Like you I also have lost a stone many times only to put it all on again. I started orlistat last week hoping to break my overeating cycle. I'm only just starting myself but I think I would advise you to give it a try - it is surely better than to carry on the stone off/stone on treadmill. Sometimes we need to try something fresh and new to kickstart ourselves out of our bad habits.

As for the side effects - well so far I havent had any apart from perhaps being a bit 'windy'.

Let us know how you get on!

• Posted

:D Give it a go........what haveyou got to lose? (pardon the pun)...

I'm on week 2 and not a single side effect.....so I must be doing something right..daren't risk any side effects....and determined not to weigh untill week 4.....as have had a bad habit of weighing daily which is just sooooooo depressing

Good Luck

Sammi

• Posted

Thank you for your help girls. I have made an appointment to see the nurse about starting Orlistat but I have to wait til the 6th oct!!! My surgery is awful!!! Reading all these reviews make me want to start now!!! Can you tell that I'm very impatient, ha ha

I'm just sick of being overweight!!!

• Posted

Hi Claire,

I have to lose 4 stones as well, i am on week 10 and have lost 17lbs altogether now. The first few days starting orlistat i had headaches, was very 'windy' and constipated. These are common side effects and don't last long if you drink 2 litres of water a day.

I have never experienced the oily side effects as i have stuck within my fat/cals daily target although i too was very nervous about starting these as i had heard horror stories about bright orange oil leaking out when you least expect it and also soiling yourself. My experience has been nothing like that tho (thank god :lol: ) I went over my fat target once in error by misreading a label on something and the worst that happened to me was quite painful stomach cramps.

My weight has come off much more slowly than others on here but we are all different, the main thing is its coming off.

Let us know how you get on when you go to the doctors and good luck x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.