thinking of going back on Mirt

Posted , 10 users are following.

Came off 15mg of mirt gradually, over a month or so having Bern on it for about 4 months for depression and sleep problems. Came off because I had zero motivation to do anything, total lacklustre, but they did help with my sleep, which has been a problem for many years but has got worse.

I found that when I started cutting back to 7.5 and even half that my sleep was still ok and my motivation, while not what I wanted was definitely better on such low dose than on 15mg.

Now that been off for a month sleep is very bad, and this is now making my depression come back with a vengeance. I was almost at point of being scared of going to bed as knew wasn't going to get to sleep, but when on mirt, knee I would get sleep even on small dose. Now seriously thinkin of going back to 7.5. Thoughts, advice?

As I say had problems many years with sleep so this is NOT brought about by not having the mirt, been like this with sleep for 15years, and I do function better with sleep as we all do I guess. Not going back onto 15mg, but 7.5, maybe

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It's up to? I would of stayed on mirtazapine the weight gain was horrific for me if u can sleep on a small dose then if it's working for u in the long run why fix something if it ain't broke so to speak x
    • Posted

I gained alot of weight too on just 7.5 mg. When you went off did the weight also come off? I felt really good on it but can't be gaining that much weight.
  • Posted

I myself slept very good on 15mg mirta but I got soo fatigue during daytime that I quit at all. I noticed that my sleeping problems got even worse than before but probably this is due to withdrawal or rebound effect. Maybe you should give it a couple of weeks to see if  your sleep stabalizes. also it might be useful to practise some contributing actions for sleep improvement like getting up before 9 am, practise some sport in the morning, danot take naps during daytime and some other relaxation tecniques like yoga or mindfulness. I know it can be hard to put all this into practise, at least for me it is, but maybe for you it works.
  • Posted

Mark

I would stay off it if possible but if you need to sleep you could always go back on half the dose or less . I was getting good results on 3.75. Even At 1.87. This is a strong but nasty little drug. When it poops out you don't want to be on high doses, and they all eventually do.

• Posted

Give it a shot. I also take remeron as a sleep aid. I take the lowest dose possible. I normally take a quarter of 7.5 mg sometimes i take half a dose. But i only take the medication sparringly. I might take it for 4 or 5 days and then go 4 or 5 days with out it.
  • Posted

Yes agree pearldrop on 15mg I was soooo fatigued couldn't do anything so won't go back to that. I do quite bit of exercise and never take naps during day, but yes you could be right that withdrawal is causing sleep to be bad, but as I said was bad before the mirt so hard to say, but with poor sleep it effects my mood/depression badly, and consequently those around me.

Dammed if do or don't I guess

• Posted

Mark, if I remember rightly you were doing so well with coming off mirt. Your depression was better as well. I wonder why you have all the feelings coming back. I feel exactly the same. I'm on a combination of meds and felt back to normal but I've crashed and I feel back to square one. 
    • Posted

Hi Kat.

yes you are right, it's strange. Pretty bad st moment, could be withdrawal, but I doubt it, didn't have any withdrawal when coming off, but guess it's lack of and fear of sleep that is having big effect. I'm not on any other meds. Feel sorry for those around me. Not for myself though, not that selfish!

• Posted

Its such a shame that your feeling bad. I know exactly how you feel. Perhaps you need to be on some kind of anti depressant. Perhaps go back to your doctor and see what they say. I remember you chatting on the forum about how well you were doing. 
    • Posted

I am quite stubborn, so won't go back on another med, guess it's either mirt, or nothing really, or just ride this period out, there is no quick fix.

quite low at the moment though have to admit

• Posted

Sorry your feeling low. Me too. God knows why I've crashed. I sleep well but still don't feel good when I wake up. I've read before about something you can get from a shop like holland & barratt. Its called 5htp. That's meant to be good for sleep. 
    • Posted

Just ordered some 5hot, thanks for tip. PM you but not sure if it's gone, bit of a numpty at no with techno stuff!
  • Posted

It might sound a bit trite but have you tried Nytol?  Mirtazapine has an anti-histamanic effect which causes the better sleep as does Nytol (the non-herbal variety).  Nytol isnt as strong but you seem to say that even a very low dose of Mrtazapine is enough to help.

I wouldn't take it everyday as it's effects will weaken but it might be worth a try unless you have any other medical condition which might contradict its use.

• Posted

Not trite at all, thanks for the suggestion, and taking time to reply. I have tried it before but didn't have much effect. Night nurse does though! Thankfully I am not, at least st the moment, an addictive sort of person, and know when to stop things, even if they are working, if it's drugs I mean.

Sounds unbelievable this, but I have not slept through the night for 25years, used to wake up 7 or8 Times a night, but felt ok. Not the case anymore I'm afraid

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.