Thinking of going on the combined contraceptive pill to help peri menopause symptoms, any advice?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi - I have come to the conclusion that ovulation seems to be an issue for me, as times in my life when I wasn't ovulating, i.e. when I was pregnant and breast feeding were the only times in recent years where I didn't expereince this horrible emotional roller coaster each month. I literally have 1 good week post period, a bad week mid cycle, another bad week pre period and then relief during my period - and it has just been getting more intense in the past 18 months. I've tried antidepressants - which I think help me on my good weeks - because I feel great, but don't seem to be able to prevent the down weeks, am now I'm also on bio identiical oestrogen gel, which worked great initially - for the first 5 months but I think my cycle has now synced to the increased oestrogen levels which is why it appears to have stopped working. I had assumed that the oestrogen gel would have stopped ovulation as it's at quite a high does (3 pumps per day) but I now read that this is not necessaril the case, ( I still have symptoms of ovulation)  as it is no where near as high as the OC pill. So I think the pill might be the best option for me as it would completely override my cycle and stop ovulation - as I've read it can help some women. I would really like to hear if it has helped anyone else and which pill worked best! Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I went on the birth control pill when I was 35 due to fibroids and heavy bleeding. I went off it around 51 and had already gone through menopause. It worked for me. I think everyone is different, but on the pill my fibroids shrunk. I recently had a sonogram and there are no signs of fibroids. I guess they can shrink to nothing!
    • Posted

great thanks Debbie! - this gives me hope, that is exactly the scenario I want! Which pill were you on ?
    • Posted

It was the combination pill (28 day). I still got my period but it was liveable. It got better and lighter the longer I was on.

I heard some docs prescribe it and let the patient take the active pills every day so they never get a period.

• Posted

Hi Debbie, did it balance out your moods though? That's the problem I have at the moment - very up and down making life difficult, I'm hoping that the pill would override my hormones and balance my moods out..

• Posted

Improved my ups and downs! After menopause, my moods are much more stable. I do not "snap" or cry when frustrated anymore.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.