Thinking of UFE

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was told the other day by my GP that I have 2 fibroids. She mentioned some form of surgery and UFE. I am thinking of the UFE as it is less invasive but I will be referred to a consultant who will go over my options of treatment in more detail. 

I am absolutely terrified of having to go to hospital for treatment. I would like to know of anyones experience of having a UFE and if the procedure was painful, or if you felt anything or if it was very uncomfortable etc..

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I had my fibroids embolised Jan 2011, my biggest one was 12cms.. sadly, emboli station had not worked for me. 

I had the very best radiologist Paul Crowe do it, and I am sure it must work ok for some patients, but hasn't really improved mine.

I am going in for my hysterectomy next Tues!

As for pain, it was quite painful for me. When you wake up from the procedure, you are not in pain, and you will have a morphine pain relief device when you are I'm hospital. I didn't use too much of mine and got to go home the next morning, the lady in the bed next to me had used her morphine pump a lot and was very sick the next day and she wasn't allowed home at the same time. So I'd avoid not too much morphine as it makes you feel pretty sick.. surprised

I struggled at home, was in pain for a few weeks, took codeine mainly as I couldn't tolerate whatever the hospital had given me. 

My periods did improve slightly & my constant back ache also went, but my fibroids didn't get any smaller sadly. 

I hope you find the right solution for you, I know it's not easy and I have fought hysterectomy all the way. But here I am, now looking forward to it and getting my life and energy back.. hopefully. 

Good luck! X

• Posted

UFE is a safe & as you've said less invasive procedure. First you have to be reassured that the Interventional Radiologist Consultant is very good.

It's normal to feel anxious. You will be given a lot of information before you decide that this procedure is for you. 

If you decided to go through it , make sure you have a good pain relief set up before & during the procedure & soon after the procedure. Pain tolerance depends to an invidual. I think I have low pain threshold. 

On the day of the procedure

Pain management should set up a PCA- patient controlled analgesia.

Soon after your procedure ask your pain team to give you bolus of 10 mg of Morphine , better to have pain controlled before it becomes a problem.

Good luck, you should be fine 

• Posted

Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply - are you given a sedative during the procedure because I read that you have to be awake?
    • Posted

I would also like to know if you were sick and constipated from the morphine
    • Posted

O yes. Just feeling nauseated but not sick. I ate less & high fibre diet. I even used a fiber supplement, dried fruits, prune juice, Morphine is an opiate that reduces your bowel movement, I don't like it but when your in pain then that's the best option!

I lost weight but better that having another visit to the hospital due to constipation & having another issues on top of what you already have.

• Posted

No sedative at all. You will be fine without one. The recovery period is better without sedation. A local anaesthetic is fine. I strongly advice, premedication of Voltarol & paracetamol an hour before you go for procedure & keep pressing your Morphine PCA once you signed your consent. You have to have good pain relief cover because you do not feel anything during the procedure but immediately after it you will have severe pain & better control it before it sets it. Depending in your BMI- have pain relief morphine at least 10-20 mg soon after the procedure to be comfortable.  Have your pain team involve after the procedure I suggest too.
  • Posted

I had local anaesthesia but was given an option to get sedation which I took. Having gone through general anaesthesia before, the recovery for local is much quicker and less painful. In my case I couls sip a bit of water but no solids 6hrs before procedure. I was conscious half of the time and dozed off half the time, though was mostly aware of procedure progress as they periodically kept me updated on the progress (you really can't see anything laying down and looking at ceiling). My nurses let me use iPod though.

Though agree 200%+ with others on starting pain medicatin BEFORE procedure, and don't be afraid to ask for morphine pump. It is VERY painful afterwards.  I did have bad reaction to morphine and Voltarol, was quite sick and couldn't keep the solids down. I also had constipation from morphine, in retrospect should have had more fibre or mild laxative earlier instead of waiting after discharge.  Though after day 3 pain subsided and i was ok with ibuprofen/paracetamol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.