Third Day on Citalopram and Feeling Awful HELP!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I just started taking Citalopram 3 days ago for mild depression & anxiety - I take it at night and the first day I felt a little "high" but got through the day with no other problems. The next day I woke up at 2:30 in the morning and couldn't fall back alseep since I was dealing with terrible side effects..panic attacks, anxiety, hopelessness, hot flashes, nausea, lost of appetite and insomnia. Is this normal?? Would love to know if anyone else has dealt with these same side effects when first taking it. Will call my doctor tomorrow so hopefully it'll all work out.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Some of the things you are describing are side effects. I am curious why you take it at night? I take it in the morning, no problems with sleep , I do take 15mg of Mirtazapine at night.
    • Posted

I work throughout the day and can get sleepy if taken in the morning.
  • Posted

I had these same side effects at the same ungodly time in the morning! This lasted about three weeks and then another five weeks of just feeling off in the mornings and stomach churning. Mornings were always worse for me.

to get me through the first couple of months my doctor prescribed a tranquilliser called Xanax which I would take when I woke up anxious and I was then able to get back to sleep. Now I don't need them and tapered off once the morning anxiety left.

These are very strong drugs and don't expect a quick fix because they take a long time to work and you have to be patient. But eventually they will work and well worth the wait.

• Posted

I'd definitely say take it in the morning if you're struggling with sleep... I found the first week I was exhausted in the day... Taking naps as soon as I got home from work. I literally felt drained. Everything you described I remember only 12 days ago. I had insomnia too, even though I took it in the morning but then it wears off. Now when I take them I have a burst of energy. What you don't want to happen is...when the energy kicks in, that you then can't sleep even more at night xxx
  • Posted

Hi Ben I started off on 10mg of escitalopram equal to 20mg citaloopram 8 weeks ago. I tried evening at first then went to morning. still have a little insommnia seem to sleep from 9.30 till 2ish get up go back to bed and to sleep now. which is improving. I gave up smoking 3mths ago so unsure if its my body still adjusting to that.but the first month is the worst for side effects. Night sweats,insommnia,head fogginess.They have all faded or passed. Hang in there. Keep posting

cheers

• Posted

Give it some time. Day 3 was my very worst day. I had multiple VERY strong panic attacks, and felt drugged and out of body... After the very hard days I woke up one morning and felt like my mind was just empty and quiet, which felt very strange. Both of these leveled out though in a couple weeks. My longest lasting side effect was loss of apetite, but it's returned back to normal now. Just be kind to yourself and try to hang in there. Remember that sometimes it gets worse before it gets better. Eat some good icecream, read a book, watch a happy movie or show... just try to distract yourself and ride it out. I started the 2nd week in November, and it took about a month to be really solid. Now I am doing SO well compared to how I was before taking Cit. I still have some hard days, or some occasional mild anxiety, but before it was unbearable and I had multiple panic attacks a day. Give it some time, read some positive reviews of the med (remember, the internet is full of people that it didnt work on becuase most people that had a great recovery don't post as much). 

I started taking it in the morning, then switched to night because it made my side effects less strong. I really hope you start feeling better soon!! xx

• Posted

Thank you everyone for the encouraging words! Spoke with my doctor today and he said it wasn't normal to experience the harsher side effects. My guess is that I started too high at 20mg rather than taking it easy at 10mg for the induction period. He switched me over to Zoloft and recommended I cut the pill in half for a few weeks, so hopefully that'll do the trick. Again, I appreciate all the words of encouragement. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.