This is my 2nd flare up after 4months ago spending 5days in hospital with this!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Still new to this so looking for advice on what to eat and take to help me in the future and avoid surgery!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Looking forward to any replies as I am with you on that one although I have had it for 4 yrs. Still confused as to the right road to take .
    • Posted

Thank you all for the advice!dr was going to take 1ftaway from my bowl if i didnt improve in 48hre luckly i did and surgery wasnt needed!had a flexible sigmoidendoscopy August wich showed 4pouches had 5but one had burst!this is 2nd flare up and currently been off work for 3day’s now!
  • Posted

I take fybergel branflakes and mabevarine every morning I don't eat  nuts skins red meat popcorn corn eggs sousage if I have tomatoes I skin and de seed them I also skin peppers I skin all fruit and no fizzy drinks. I have been diagnosed for about 16 months and only had one bad flare   I also have IBS. Hope you feel better soon 

• Posted

Why do you skin your food ?

I'm asking as I recently was admitted to hospital with my first diverticulitis who's was a local perforation .

I also have IBS. 

When I eat a skins of fruit and vegetables they tend to end up in my stool undigested pieces.

I spoke to my colorectal surgery and also my gp asking if the undigested skin pieces could have caused my diverticulitis condition that in just had they both said that that was not the cause and the probable cause is constipation and hard stools 

• Posted

When I was first diagnosed I didn't know what to eat and what not to eat so I came on this forum. I asked the same question as you and I was told by many forum members to always skin everything. They said skins and seeds irritate the DD pouches and can course diverticulitis. I know a lot of gastroenterologist say eat what you want but I would rather listen to people who have put up with this horrible DD   My IBS kicks off when I get stressed or eat something that disagrees with me. I hope this explanation helps you. But always remember it's trial and error 

• Posted

As far as I have learnt it is all about keeping the bowels moving along nicely and not eating anything that might lodge in the diverticular ( the pocket ) which is when a flare up happens as it can become infected if it doesn't move. I feel we must all find things that help us individually with the help of this group having told us their experiences and what they avoid eating .

• Posted

I totally agree it's trial and error every one is different we have to work out what helps us. I food diary is good it helped me see whatfood  made me feel worse   I can't eat eggs tomatoes red meat beans salad chocolate these all give me diarrhoea so I stay clear of them 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.