This is my 9th week

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Sorry for not keeping you updated over my progress. I will give a overview what happened with me so far.

I moved to another country last december and I have been feeling symptoms of depression from now and then, until about 2 months ago when I felt so depressed/sad/unmotivated/anxious that I could not work anymore. That is when I looked for a medical help because I could not function anymore (intrusive thoughts, no concentration, extreme sadness, crying).

I was put initially on 20 mg of fluoxetine. I had those terrible side effects as people report for several weeks. I got a bit better by week 6 I would say. Thats when we upped the dose to 40 mg.

I'm now on 9th, about 6 weeks on 20 mg and 2 weeks and a half on 40 mg. I definitely feel much better than 2 months ago. The transition between 20 mg to 40 mg was quite smooth.

I said to my GP yesterday that I still have 10 to 20% of residual depression, which means that I can have moments of happiness, I can work, I can enjoy some activities that I enjoyed before, and I can talk to people. However, from time to time, I still feel sadness with no apparent reason.

Since I'm going back to home this christmas for 20 days, my GP thinks I will get better. And when I come back, she will assess me again.

I'm on a queue for psychological therapy. She believes that the medication might solve 90% of my depression, but therapy can handle the rest.

I also think that perhaps I also need a life change. I didn't make any close friend, as the ones I used to have back in my country. I guess I have to somehow fix that.

Anyway, I hope my update is useful for you, as yours have been to me.

Best,

Danilo

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Glad ur getting theresmile I'm on 20mg 4weeks and my consentration is a lot better, head less foggy but I feel druged sad first sleepy now its a wake awake eyes but sluggish body, seems very fake like my brains on a high hoping this passes ! 
  • Posted

Hi again danilo

Good to hear youre feeling so much better. Its hard moving to a new area let alone a new country. And if you're feeling low its hard enough with your own friends so it must be twice as difficult trying to make new friends .

Hopefully the therapy will come around quite quickly and will help you with that final  part od your recovery. 

Hope you have a lovely time at home over Christmas.  Take care. 

Wishing you all the best

Vix 

• Posted

hello Danilo, nice to see you again and with such a positive outcome on the whole, wow, I'm delighted for you. It can't be easy moving to another country for many reasons, language, food, friends millions of things we take for granted in our home land, I admire your "courage" for making and taking that step. In fact I sometimes wish I had the bottle to do exactly that, but where would I go ? ? ? I'm sure your going home for Christmas will have you feeling 110% and hopefully it will continue at tht level forever amen! Just reading your post made feel so much better! thankyou and the very best of everything for the future,

caio, David smile

• Posted

Hello David,

Moving to another country is really a challenge. Specially if you are not used with any other culture beside yours. That change in my life was certainly what triggered my depression. I'm probably genetically susceptible to that since both my parents had or have it.

You are around day 44 I suppose. I hope it is working for you. And if it is not 100%, I suggest asking for a update on your dosage or an augmentation. I promised myself that I will not take half measures anymore, and that 100% free from my depression is my only acceptable goal. I have been taking half measures most part of this year, and it only made me reach the rock bottom.

Anyway, looking forward for more of your updates.

Best,

DAnilo

• Posted

Hiya DAnilO,

I do love your positive attitude throughout all this upheaval and treatment you have endured recently, guess that's where I do sometimes let myself down being pessimistic when I should be optomistic, makes sense when you realise as you get older that life passes by so damn quickly! I should adopt your attitude and maybe I will start getting places. Hmm yesterday I was on cloud 9, today I've slid off that onto cloud 7 ish, weird what a difference a day makes. What country are you in if you do'nt mind me asking? Just curious! But having said that curiosity killed the cat apparently......maioww.

Take care Danilo, real nice hearing from you.

Caio,

David smile

• Posted

Hi I'm wondering if any of you experience a lot of morning sickness and lack of sleep on flu. This is my second week, my stomach growling,  I have a very hard time sleeping and kind of hopeless feeling.  I have vertigo too. It's strange, did anyone feel these things? 
    • Posted

Hi Jenmasu,

It is hard to find anyone in the second week of fluoxetine that does not have those symptoms.

During my regiment, the second and third week were the worst. So no need to worry about that, which will pass at some point (it might take weeks, unfortunately rolleyes).

Best,

Danilo

• Posted

Thank you for responding Danilo. I just get frustrated because I have these great days where I'm myself and then either an empty feeling or anxiety or lack of sleep.  I guess it's the process. What did you mean by..half measures. .on ur previous post? 
    • Posted

Hi Jenmasu,

I meant that I was trying to cope with my depression through only exercises and supplements, instead of going into real medicine. Depression is a serious condition that should be treated accordingly.

Best,

Danilo

• Posted

I never know if its the tablets or my anxiety disorder which causes awful dizziness, space out tense feelings. The 2nd and 3rd week were bad sad week 4 now is better but still crappy but I'm heavily pregnant also x 
  • Posted

Was u really sleepy, dazed in the early weeks? I love to hear these stories where its working our for people coz I know know awful it is to feel hopeless and lost x 
    • Posted

Hi Danilo. How do you feel on your 9th week?. I get worried with side effects like my ears pop...hard time staying asleep,  zombie like feeling..Dr says give it 8 weeks. How do you feel?
    • Posted

I'm on 5weeks and its a spaced out feeling, night sweats and headaches. But its doing a job, hope it passes. I can deal with sweats and headaches but not feeling drugged 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.