Those that have recovered

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone

I'm now almost 9 weeks with citalopram and there has possibly been some minor improvement. I've been mostly on 20mg apart from the start with 10mg. I still get anxiety daily (mine feels like being nervous all the time) and today has been a bad one with waves of more intense fear again.

I was curious as to those that have recovered, how long did it take, did you experience worsening of symptoms throughout etc?

Trying to remain positive, go with the flow, carry on with normal things but on days like today when I just feel panicky it is so hard.

And I'm tired of the relentlessness of the symptoms, I've not yet had a single day without anxiety although I have had moments of real peace.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi x nice to hear you have made some minor improvements x that's definitely better than nothing at all! I'm a little behind you, I'm 7 weeks on 40mg. I can completely sympathise with you about the waves of intense dread and fear. It is so horrible you can't even describe. I just wanted to message you and let you know you aren't alone with the waves of dread and anxiety throughout the day and hopefully somone will be along to give you some good news about their recovery x have the waves got less for you or are they still as bad as the beginning?

• Posted

Thank you for the reply. It definitely helps to know I'm not alone, not that I'd wish this on even my worst enemy.

Anxiety is truly awful.

It's hard to say, the fear is perhaps a little less intense, I have constant anxiety (feeling on edge) and the fear

comes in waves. Not every day but on bad days. I'm trying not to react to it but it is hard.

My symptoms are not as bad as in the start but I've started sweating at night again. I wonder if at 9 weeks it could still be side effects?!

• Posted

This time it took me approx 3 months to be symptoms free

• Posted

That's amazing and as far as I understand pretty quick! Did you gradually improve over that time or did recovery come suddenly at 3 months? I think I'm a little better than at the start but definitely not there yet...!

• Posted

Hello Marketta, I know the struggle all to well. Last year i started on May 10th at 10mg. It took me to about the middle of July that year to level out. Almost ruined my whole summer. Getting to my normal self happened so gradually that i hardly noticed. Stay strong and I wish you all the best! 😃

• Posted

Thanks Mike and nice to hear you recovered in what also sounds like pretty decent time! Although going through it is horrible.

I'm currently in a state of questioning if the drugs will ever work, if I'll be stuck like this forever etc. I know

negative thinking wont help so trying to keep a positive attitude.

• Posted

It took me a total of 7 months to feel better and be able to go out and do things, and enjoy life. I was on 10mg for 1 month and the doc increased it because I was not better (way too soon to know that). So once I increased to 20mg I actually felt worse! And I stuck with in for 6 months in hopes that it would get better, and it didn't. Apparently 20mg was too high for me, because once I decreased to 15mg I felt soo much better! And pretty quickly. I've been at this dose now for 1 month, and I have way more good days then bad now but I know because of the change I still need to give it 8-12 weeks at least for it to level out. These meds do work, its just a matter of finding the right dose for you, and sticking with it.

Best Wishes!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.