Thought work would be a breeze 18 weeks post tkr

Posted , 7 users are following.

Still working on that extension stuck at -7 to - 10 but not giving up. Still doing the work. Bend find. Still swell etching but manageable.

Think I've been relatively lucky when I've seen what others have been through post tkr. However I didn't believe how exhausted I'd feel on phased return to work this week. Mornings only but so tired and can't believe how I'm already feeling overloaded. That's just not me I'm the cool as the cucumber girl normally I keep telling myself it's got to get better lol!

.Happy rehab all, Jan x

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh Jan, it sounds very tiring but I'm sure you'll get there.  Just make sure you look after yourself at home and really rest!  Your body's really been through it, so it will make you weaker.  Good luck with the extension:-))))

• Posted

Most people return to work in the six-month range...anything earlier is an "iffy" proposition.  Some pull it off, other experience exhaustion and swelling.  Others don't go back to work for NINE months!  It's all very individual.

If this is not working for you, back off and take an extra few weeks...if possible.  Getting back to a normal working life is probably the hardest thing to do since it encompasses so much of the recovery: pain, swelling, ROM, leg strength, stamina, and more.  You have to have the whole package together to have any expectation of a "normal" work life.  This will take time.  Make the call...

PS: Drugs are definitely a no-no.  You cannot go back to the big pain meds and think they will get you through a day at work.  Not even possible and very dangerous.

• Posted

Thanks

Taking more time isn't really an option so will see how it goes. Pain manageable only used Tramodol 1 week post op so on my usual RA stuff now. Managing swelling but not the tiredness so hopefully it's gotta to get better. I just thought I was a tougher !!! I'm definitely going to keep to my phased return hours though.and will self refer to Occupational Health if not improving. The worst bit is a boss who just dumps a load of management deal on you on the first day back - overload!!

Still fitting exercise in it would be easy not to as feel so tired. Grrr not going to.go backwards now!

It's amazing after having one knee done noticing the pain in the other so exercising both.

I hope you are recovering from your back.

• Posted

Yup...it will take the full six weeks.  Can't get rid of the heating pads yet but sleep is better.

Just take it slow...very slow.  Gotta give yourself the full year.  Any other expectations are unrealistic...delusional...Jedi Mind Tricks...all of the above.

• Posted

PS: On the bend, it's a "plateau".  I got stuck at -4 for weeks.  Just have to break through it.  Keep working!!!

• Posted

Thanks for the encouragemt I will try and be Zenn in stretching those ligaments.
  • Posted

Jan I feel the same as you. Went back to work at 9 weeks post and felt tired and feel tired and overwhelmed!! It's gotta get better!!??🙏

• Posted

Wow Monday could I.have gone back at 9 weeks.Hope it gets better for you Elsie

• Posted

Yes, I used to be a statistician in a former lifetime, so I wrote this.  May put things in perspective for you...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-recovery-bell-curve--563756

• Posted

Hi Jan, it's not until you get back to work, you realise how tiring the whole TKR rehab thing is! My 1st morning back I was exhausted!!

Good luck with next weeks work. Exhausting as it is, it is so good to feel you're getting back into old routines isn't it.

I must admit I have been lucky also, I guess it's time to count my blessings.

All the best

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Hi Marilyn,

Yes it's good to be back but it has been an exhausting week. I'm pretty resilient and didn't think I'd get this way. Working in the NHS there's no such thing as an easy phased return but on reflection I worked with my pre op knee in a real state. Its more a mental problem than managing the tkr ( just realised that sounded a bit odd but you get my drift😊🤡wink

Looking forward to the weekend going to a local Jazz concert.

Thanks for your encouragement have a good weekend.Jan x

• Posted

Hi Jan,

I went back at 18 weeks also 6 hour days for two weeks and now I'm at eight hour days for two weeks and in another week I'll go to 12 hour shifts. I too was surprised how exhausted I am but you got to build your strength! Amazing what laying around for four and a half months will do to a person!!

GOOD luck in your recovery

:D

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.