THR 2 YRS Ago & Still Limping

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had (R) & (L) THR in 2017 , I'm still limping, I believe its coming from my ( R) Hip, I'm feeling extremely frustrated with this especially since I figured having this surgery would get rid of this limp. I'm also only 47 yrs old. I just don't understand why the limp hasn't gone away. Any Advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rose

I had THR left hip in September 2017 and I still feel a bit pain and still limp quite a lot of the time. I understand how frustrating this is however I always remain positive as I feel even though it's been nearly 2 years since my op I honestly still believe I am in recovery. This is a massive operation and everyone recovers at their own pace. I am a fitness fanatic I go to gym regularly to do mostly upper body weights although I have been using Bosu Ball for balancing and gain strength/endurance back in my legs.

I am only just starting to feel able to do some very light jogging although this not easy as THR surgery has such a massive impact on your body. I've just turned 50 last week and feel positive that I will very gradually continue to get stronger and better. I spoke with a neighbor of similar age who informed me it took him around 5 years until he felt he made a full recovery and this gave me so much hope as I was feeling at this stage I might never make a full recovery.

Stay positive, try and stick to doing your strength work squatting light stretching and if you go out walking try doing some power walking as long as not too much pain. Take long strides whilst walking.

CRAIG

• Posted

I'm 3 weeks post LTHR and also only 47. I went to my physio appointment yesterday and the physio explained that a limp is usually because you are not using the muscles to support you when walking and to keep up the exercises that they give which will ensure the muscles get strong enough to be able support correct walking.

I notice that I tend to automatically limp because I'm so used to walking that way. I have to consciously ensure I walk correctly and use the muscles that I'm supposed to be using to support walking properly.

Best of luck.

• Posted

i had surgery one year ago in nyc by a supposingly very good doctor. now i read that he messed up on several people and they have been left with a limp. the limp does not go away. i am now going to have a second surgery and new orphopedic surgeon is going to put a smaller ball in. the surgeon who did my thr did not want to take any responsibility. his answer was put a lift in your shoe. i had a lot of pt this year and believe that it was a waste of time and money and did not rectify the situation.

• Posted

i hate to say this but it is a bit refreshing to find so many 50 yr olds that have had this surgery. I am also not only limping but almost a year out, still cant go up stairs or be in any positions that require inflection of the hip (think going to the bathroom, squatting, getting off the sofa, tying shoe laces) without pain my dr said it was bc i was in such good shape before surgery that the muscles are tight and need to adjust. i do agree with one response as my PT also said that i have to work the muscles more and concentrate on not limping so it doesnt become habit. I certainly hope that i dont have to wait five years before i can get back to running or doing high impact exercises. i had the operation so i could do all that without pain. This is far more frustrating than i thought it would be.Good luck to all.

• Posted

Hi Audrey,

Did I actually read your post correctly. Your doctor said you cannot do the normal things because you were in such good shape and your muscles are tight?

Is he for real, if you were in good shape you would not have these problems as your muscles would be strong and make recovery a much faster process, you should not have pain after all this time. Makes you wonder if he did his job correctly. Do you walk heel to toe as that really helps your gait. Pilates helps with stretching the muscles, exercise really does stop pain.

I really hope you do not wait many more years for your recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.