THR 2018

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all I'm new on this forum and looking for assurance and advice on the hip replacement subject. I had my right hip replaced 5 weeks ago today and think I'm doing well? I can walk without crutches but only around the house and using one I find is causing a painful back and side muscles. I did see its been a problem to some of you too. My concern is after lying or sitting down my hip is quite sore ....sort of around the socket when standing up. After a couple of steps it eases. Has anyone else experienced this? I have had intense anxiety during this period and seem to have developed IBS which hasn't been fun. I see my surgeon on Monday for my first check up but in the meantime....help! Thanks for a great site.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I'm on week 4 of my second in a row. I have the same pains in my back and socket. My advice would be to have the IBS checked out. that May not be related to the surgery but to the anxiety. Rest assured your hips are on schedule. Just keep moving and establish a routine of sorts. Be with people when you can and know you aren't alone. I have cats and dogs to help me stay moving.

• Posted

Thanks Ruth...I'm an anxious person by nature having had a nervous breakdown years ago. When i had my knee replacement in 2016 i hit both anxiety and depression but it didn't last too long. I live on my own with my Jack Russell so its been difficult. All the very best on your recovery. Take care ๐Ÿ˜Š

• Posted

Hi. Yep, all sounds familiar. You'll find what works best. Once the 6 week check up is over you will feel much less anxiety. Im sure you are doing great, keep it up.

D

• Posted

5 wks early sounds like normal.

You're seeing consultant soon .he can put your mind at ease. Y hubby now 10 wks post and at 5 wks I got a lot of reassurance from this site.as he was concerned 're pain etc .

Now 11 wks and just started bowling again.

Everyone different .do exercises and walking. He found although he did exercise when it came to standing for a while was difficult so he stood more and now fine .

Good luck

• Posted

Thanks Joan thats wonderful your hubby good and propper on the mend. I'm also a bowler and missing playing like crazy. All the best the your hubby.๐Ÿ˜€

• Posted

Hi Lesley, I am at the exact same point as you having had my right hip replacement on 10/10.

I am experiencing pains in my back and hip socket too. I can manage indoors without my sticks but need 2 outside. I will continue to use both until my check up as when i use only one my hip joint clicks. I feel as if I walk much better with 2. I find it very uncomfortable if i stand still for more than a couple of minutes. I am doing my exercises 3 times daily and that does help with the pain. IBS isn't good and I would talk to your GP or Sugeon about that.

I wish you all the best for a continued good recovery.

Linda

• Posted

Jut don't bend your knee higher than your hip. Be careful. My right hip after surgery is perfect, no problems at all. My left hip came out of the socket and now I'm back to square one. Be careful.

• Posted

Oh shucks...have been careful. Another thing I'm experiencing is a feeling of a sharp object stabbing me in the butt when sitting or inclining on my bed. Have heard this can happen. Anyone else?

• Posted

Hi Lal no clicking thank goodness but its been a scary journey as im usually very independent and active so taken a lot of strain as I'm sure all the joint replacement folk have so to to rely on others for daily living been a strain. All the best for your future recovery and take care.

• Posted

I was advised to use both crutches or none as it does affect your back and I was starting to develop a real swagger!

• Posted

Hi Lesley,

I had my op 14 weeks ago now and am almost back to normal. I ditched my sticks early too and have made great progress, driving again after about 6 weeks. You will find you do get sore around the socket area as there is so much soft tissue there which takes ages to heal fully. Although I am now doing everything I want/need to, I do still have a little soreness there too but I can almost ignore it now. You tend to get a lot of soreness around the knee as well as that's where all the trauma of the operation goes but that will slowly disappear as well. Do your exercises and take a couple of walks every day, even if it's only a very short distance. Get somebody to go with you outside. It gives you confidence. My opinion of this operation is that it's absolutely wonderful but it's up to each person to work at it to get back to full fitness. Everyone is different so don't worry it you are not exactly the same as another person. It sounds like you've made a very good start. I wish you well.

• Posted

Hi Marion

Thank you for your wise words and encouragement . I'm hoping to drive next week once I've seen my surgeon. Another problem I have which is IBS which flared up presumably due to the anxiousness with terrible bloating and constipation. I now have probiotics which i start tomorrow and hopefully will start to feel myself and enjoy my new hip.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.