Three major depressions in my life

Posted , 8 users are following.

i have had three major depressions in my life. the very first one started early 1989. meds eventually pulled me out. thank GOD. second one in 2009. ditto meds. now the third one - treatment resistant. i must add that in each instance the deoression was preceded by SEVERE anxiety. i am convinced that anxiety causes depression if not recognised and treated early. does anyone concur?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anna,

you sound exactly like me and I do agree about the anxiety coming first then the depression kicks in! I have always gotten through without meds, not easy, but I do not react well to them. I am struggling right now the last 7 months. Do you feel each episode is a little worse? Hope you find peace and healing! ☺

• Posted

hi barb

you are very brave to go it alone without treatment.

yes it does get worse each time. my current one being the longest and worst by far - mainly because no meds are helping at all. its been over 18 months of sheer unadulterated hell. peace and blessings to you.

• Posted

Anna we are on the same boat, I too had a big one in 1989, the 1st one was around 1976 and now the third one in 2017. I have been able to pull together with prayers and medication. Thanks god , I found a good psychiatrist who cares and have become my angel on earth.

• Posted

Anna we are on the same boat, I too had a big one in 1989, the 1st one was around 1976 and now the third one in 2017. I have been able to pull together with prayers and medication. Thanks god , I found a good psychiatrist who cares and have become my angel on earth.

• Posted

yes i agree, my first one was 1998 and i recovered. this time i have bec ome treatment resistant and the daily anxiety just makes the depression worse. it all came from nowhere and i cannot get better. im missing out on so much in life.. have you found anything to help at all?

• Posted

i am sorry that you are also suffering this hell.

i have not found anything that helps in any way. nothing. nothing.

i am going to try ECT next but only in JAN when i have med funds

let's stay in touch here and wait in pain for a breakthrough

peace and blessings to you

• Posted

i really feel for you, and understand all the things you have gone through. its awful not getting any benefit from any anti dep. i also have separation disorder, dont like husband being out of sight, psychologist says also dependence problem as he does all my housework nowadays. all i want to do is sit in chair, yet i dont,, i want to be part of life again but i cant find it. i too await a breakthrough, ect has not been mentioned yet but weve tried so much that doesnt work. please keep in touch this is a hellish illness.

• Posted

Hi ana, i notice there are multiple posts on here from you. I take it by this that you're trying to seek support? It doesn't matter how often you write on here of course but we'll try to help if we can. The only help that has been of use to me over the years i have had depression and anxiety have been counselling as i was told for years to hush. I have ptsd and wish to know how you got through your problems without help? What's the magic formula? Any help appreciated!

• Posted

hi SAM

i have never gotten through without help. have had multiple hospitalisations, numerous psychiatrists and every drug under the sun plus several people praying for me. yes i am here to seek help and comfort, but i also want to help and comfort others. i have major depressive disorder, generalised anxiety disorder, separation anxiety and also PTSD.

if i could find the magic formula, i would happily be sharing it here - shouting in capital letters.

let us keep fighting together. we may not win the battle but we could still win the war.

i wish you peace

• Posted

Sam here is a PS

i have noticed through the fog that each one of my depressions was preceeded by a period of immense ANXIETY. i firmly believe (finally) that anxiety is a strong precursor and it needs to be dealt with as soon as it strikes. i know this for next time. if i survive this monster that has me in its clutches.

• Posted

We'll fight together here, that i am sure of.

• Posted

Hi I agree that anxiety can lead to depression but it's not the case every time - far from it. My depression had got quite a lot better over the years until I started work in a call centre. This was target driven which lead to stress and anxiety and this combined to bring my depression back full force. Now I am not working there I am not anxious any more but am still suffering from depression. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.