Three Weeks post gallbladder removal

Posted , 4 users are following.

I really need some help here, I'm 16 and I had my gallbladder removed about three weeks ago. I've been on homebound for about a month so I wouldn't miss a lot of school but I go back tomorrow and I'm having anxiety that I won't be able to have access a toilet like I would at home. (Worrying only makes my symptoms worse) Everything I eat goes right through me, I know everyone says it's something I have to deal with but I am a student and I also play sports and I'm struggle so hard. I hope someone out there could help me find a solution to my symptoms. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi nat.

did your doctor not give anything to deal with the rushing to the loo thing ?

becouse they can !!

go see your gp ASAP explain your situation, and ask them to give you something for it and they will.

their is about 5 or 6 diffract types of medication they can try and I’m sure you will find success with one of them.

i had mine out 4 months Ago but my problem is the other way lol

and still having a lot of pain under the right ribs arearlike sharp stabbing pain and just an offish tummy a lot of the time but I’m eating what ever I want .

hope this is some help to you.

• Posted

When I went back to my surgeon he said he wanted my body to get used to the bile going into my intestines. He said after 6 months with no result he could put me on some type of medication for it. I'm desperate at this point to find something. 

• Posted

Hi Nat, I am 8 weeks post op and still getting upset tummy and diarhea .

My GP said they prefer to wait and see if it settles by itself.

You could try explaining to your doctor and see it they will prescribe you something.

Also try sticking to a very bland diet and only small amounts .

Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you! Has your stomach issues calmed down any as times went by? 
    • Posted

My stomach is calmer as long as I stick to

bland food , I don't mind as I don't get diarrhoea so much ..

• Posted

Mat, my heart goes out to you. Were you given a list of what to eat and what joy to eat? I had mine out almost 4 months ago and if I am careful the diarrhea has just about stopped. It all depends on what you eat. 

Chicken, pork or fish baked, broiled ofr foamed or grilled. Chicken should be white meat no skin, pork very lean, such as a pork tender loin. Any vegetable that you want but noy cooked in butter.  Use spices. Sandwiches are fine but use low fat mayonnaise or mustard. I have lived on graham crackers for 4 months. You can have cereal with skin milk. Just check the fat content in everything you ear. If you have to grab something on the run get a grilled chicken sandwich, no mayo. Pasta with a MILD. Pasta sauce has been good for me. Drink iced tea or hot tea, coffee with none fat creamer and sugar if you wish. See if your Dr. will give you a prescription for Lomotil. It is for diarrhea but ir works wonders for low stomach cramping and really really helps with diarrhea. Also you can have fruit it a small salad with fat free dressing. It is important to drink, drink, drink. I have a big glass of iced rea or water with me all the time. I am finally comfortable going out. My gallbladder was a mess, full of stones, sludge with stones in my central duct   You just have to remember that the liver has to learn to do some of what the gallbladder did. 

The more you stress yourself out the worse the panic trips to the bathroom are going to be. Stress alone can give you diarrhea from extra acid production. You are young and probably heal faster than older crowd but you are going to be ok. The really worse part of the whole thing is the gas and you are going to probably just have to learn to deal with that. If I need to pass gas I just make sure there is NO ONE REMOTELY CLOSE BY. I can assure you they won’t be there long. 

Try and eat 6 small meals a day because you dont want the bile to to fill your gut instead of food. You’ll learn what and how you can eat. The reason I have had so much trouble is because I should have had my gallbladder out about 5 to 6 years ago so it was a mess. Good luck and try not to make yourself crazy and see if you can get a prescription for Lomotil. It really has been a life saver. 

Wanda1999

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.