THROAT CLEARER IN TROUBLE

Posted , 4 users are following.

i FLEW BACK FROM wALES TO usa AND ENDED UP WITH HOARSE THROAT.  i'VE ALWAYS BEEN A THROAT CLEARER, AND ALL OF A SUDDEN COULDN'T- AFTER 10 DAYS OF MISDIAGNOSIS, WAS DIAGNOSED WITH LARYNX ACID REFLUX- AFTER 3 WEEKS, WAS TOLD IT WAS CLEAR, BUT STILL CAN'T CLEAR THROAT AND IT'S AGONY TO TRY TO DO IT.

NOW 60 DAYS LATER PULMONARY DR GAVE ME INHALER, ACID REFLUX MED,FLONAISE, IPRATROPIUM BROMIDE NASAL SPRAL, PREDNISONE

tHE FIRST DAY I TOOK FLONAISE & PREDNISONE AND FELT OK THE NEXT DAY.  AFTER THE 2ND DAY MY MOUTH WENT DRY AS A BONE, I WENT INTO PANIC COULDN'T CLEAR ANYTHING ALTHOUGH I FELT ALL KINDS OF THINGS THAT NEEDED TO CLEAR

COULDN'T REACH DR OVER WEEKEND AND OUR EMERGENCY ROOM WAS A FAILURE ON MY THROAT BEFORE I WENT TO SEE THE PULMONARY'

RIGHT NOW MY MOUTH IS DRY AS TOAST, I CAN'T CLEAR MY THROAT

HONEY, WATER  MIGHT GIVE ME ONE CLEAR BUT I'M RIGHT BACK INTO NEEDING ONE

ANYONE HAVE SIMILAR SYMPTOMS    HELP

DURING THE FIRST 3 WEEKS OF MY CONDITION, I TOOK SLEEPING PILLS TYING TO ESCAPE AND WAS RESCUED BY MY FAMILY BUT THEY ARE NOT MUCH SYMPATHETIC FOR MY CONTINUED PROBLEMS

JHORT

iF I NEED A DIFFERENT GROUP   PLEASE POINT ME THERE

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

The symptoms do sound as if they could be from extra-oesophageal reflux (also known as "LPR").

Relfux travelling full column can breach the upper oesophageal sphincter (the cricopharyngeal muscle) and thence aspirate throughought the respiratory system. Commonly it irritates the throat producing excess mucous which yu find yourself constantly clearing.

Inhaled, it can cause asthma-like symptoms - whch is why you were given the inhaler.

It can also cause dryness.

Medication doesn't do much to help: it just reduces acid and makes the reflux less dangerous.

You will need to follow the normal lifestyle advice to reduce reflux.

See the chapter on extra-oesophageal reflux in the www DownWithAcid org uk book.

• Posted

I have looked for your surgery website but can't find it could you help me with the address again? Thank you
    • Posted

You should find the information you want in the Down With Acid book - or you may visit the Barrett's Wessex charity website: www BarrettsWessex org uk
  • Posted

Do you have phlegm or lump in your throat? How long and what does of Prednisone?

• Posted

For my whole life I can feel nasal drip down the back of my throat & just clear it away.   After the hoarseness oneset, I also began to feel a lump that has seen to have gotten less prevelant-  I'm due for a barium swallow May 16-  and sort of wish the pulmonary had held off meds until the swallow was done.

The Prednisone is 40mg 28 days

The sudden dry throat and inability to clear anything put me into a panic. I'm not sure if that's normal or if he gave me too many drugs

I haven't had any of them since Friday and I want to clear my throat SOOO badly

Thanks for answering   Hope my answer helps 

• Posted

My throat is also as dry as toast as you put it, you feel like your not going to be able to swallow just from the dryness. Then when you can swallow it is hard either from the phlegm or the lump in your throat. Mine has gotten better from the Omeprazole but I like you, would have like to not be on meds for the tests.However, I would be as thin as Twiggy by then because I couldn't eat anything so I am happy to be on them for now. My endoscopy is not until June 9th and I am so grateful for this test as I want to know what is wrong with me, just like you want to know so we can try and fix it and have a somewhat normal life. The more you read on here and online is very helpful as far as gaining knowledge of this gawd awful illness. That book Barrett's mentions is very helpful. He has been through all of this including surgery. 

I unknowingly have had this for twenty plus years but it was just discovered by my Dr in the past month or so. I pushed myself while exercising and couldn't breathe and was really sick so she figured it out quite quickly. No other Dr had ever seen the extent of the symptoms so it was hard for them to figure it out. We were always looking in the autoimmune disease category.

• Posted

is there a usa amazon download  -    I'm a bit far from UK  
    • Posted

Go to www DownWithAcid org uk . It's the website of the book and may be used as it is. 

If you visit the Order page, you can download a pdf copy from the foot of the page.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.