Throat inflammation still unable to tolerate hot drinks/foods

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I have been on nexium for 6 weeks now 4 of them at double dose. Prior to that omeprazole since early January. My endoscope was normal but I had some inflammation at the very top of my osophagus and my vocal chords inflammed. Was told throat inflammation still there 3 weeks ago. I am still unable to tolerate hot food or drinks. Does anyone have a rough idea how long it takes before this will improve?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

According to the dexilant (PPI) webpage, oesophagus inflammation takes 8 weeks to repair. It really depends if you still have reflux I imagine, probably not with the PPI.

I have been looking on the internet a lot to find how long it takes for people to recover from gastritis, GERD and silent reflux and it seems to be quiet long in general, from 6 months to a year, but this was more for the reflux to stop than for the healing of tissues that supposedly goes faster.

Have you tried alkaline water Ph 8.8? According to Dr Jamie Koufman it might help. I tried it for my sore throat due to reflux and I think it gives me some relief. Not sure how efficient it is but it does not hurt to try.

• Posted

My GP told that the burn/heal, burn/heal continues until the balance shifts in favour of the healing, the acid is eventually controlled and the healing proper begins. It can take some time. I've been suffering from LPR for about 5 months - but it seems longer!
  • Posted

It's a very frustrating illness. I'm drinking alkaline water and have completely altered my diet and have been keeping a diary and I'm still refluxing not all the time but at least every other day along with the LPR symptoms too. Am going for an esophageal mannometry as my Dr just doesn't know what js going on with me as this just appeared out of the blue after a holiday. He even suggested I had picked something up abroad. Who knows but I'm a bit frustrated especially when you're taking meds to try and control it.
  • Posted

It is a very frustrating illness. I have been sick since the fall. I started getting better approximately a month ago. Progress is slow and I don't know either why I got sick. I was eating relatively healthy before, I have a normal weight, no allergies, no H. Pilory, all my blood test are normal.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up