throat issues

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ok so 2012 i gave birth to a beautiful baby boy everything was fine then he got poorly and was admitted to hospital everyday was a struggle with no explanation of what was wrong with him this went on for nearly 3 weeks of him being poorly till he was discharged they told us it was a viral infection that his body couldn't cope with. He was out for 2 weeks then ended up back in hospital and this has been his life in and out of hospital with breathing difficulties.  During this time i have become a wreck!! I used to be so loud outgoing funny happy lady and im 31. Now im a nervous wreck i am always aware when my son is going to bbecome poorly because i know the signs and im always guessing whats going to be wrong with him i never let him out my sight! went to the doc about 8 months ago with a lump feeling in my throat he referred me and i had that tube thing down my nose to the back of throat and said all was clear. I then started to struggle with swallowing and was sent for a barium swallow meal came back fine also. Now i have lots of swollen glands in my neck and loads of pressure when eating also a feeling food is getting stuck when iv swollowed chest pain kind of. So of course now i hardly eat n when i do i feel so nervous. Im convinced something is wrong with me as im always achy to. Has anybody else got lots of swollen glands on neck and trouble swollowing?

0 likes, 15 replies

Report / Delete

15 Replies

• Posted

Hey hun, me! Crying this instance, mine since Laparoscopy, in may, drs hardly want to know, so I'm suffering and starving rolleyes hope u get better,xxx
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

An Aunt of mine gets this alot, to the point where when she eats she is being sick! Hers improves when her medication is tweeked for her anxiety. She is convinced she is seriously ill, but she has been like this for years without it getting worse, so it is just her anxiety playing up
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hiya Katie.

A lump in your throat and the feeling that you can not swallow is a very common anxiety/panic symptom.

While your son was unwell you where under a great deal of stress and worry and where probably very vulnerable. This is ideal for a anxious thought to enter your head and for it to stick. Your whole focus is probably on your throat which is why you are noticing every feeling and sensation.

Try some deep relaxation audios off YouTube for deep relaxation,anxiety and panic attacks. I really do think you will find them beneficial xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yh my neck bulges out on the right but it a swollen gland its full of them. Thanks gillian i do focus on it from the moment i wake then till i go to sleep i dont want to but im at home all day with my boy whos still always poorly when i used to work full time so its a massive change also. I want to be here for him though im not moaning but i think that plays abig part because my mind isnt always occupied.  I also have a 10year old who doesnt behave very well which makes anxiety alot worse x
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I know Hun. I know how difficult it is. Do you think your neck could be swollen due to the reflex of you keep swallowing to check if your swallowing??? 

It must be terribly hard for you with all you have going on. It's no wonder that  you are feeling the way you do.

I appreciate that you will find it difficult to have any time to dedicate to yourself but even if you can just get half an hour to try one if the audios I mentioned earlier,I really do think they will be beneficial to you. You will experience deep relaxation and in turn it will rationalise things in your mind that yes you can breathe and yes you can swallow....It's just anxiety that's drawn attention to this area and set you into a anxious loop.

Do you have support around you..partner..family???xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yh it could be from constantly swallowing im at docs next week for blood test to check blood count glandular fever etc. My partner has just been diagnosed with depression hes on tablets now its all from the stress in the house with our poorly boy. We are 2 totally different people from what we used to be we still are each others rocks. My family think its all in my head n everyone says to me i need to get over it easier said than done though x
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It is easier said than done and easy for people who don't have depression/anxiety to think can be changed just like that.

At least you and your other half have each other. 

I hate it when somebody says "it's all in your head"... How very perceptive of them lol Well of course it's all in the head but it's a illness.....Woukd they say to somebody with diabetes "I think it's about time you got over this now"?? It does annoy me.

Im totally different too Hun from the girl I was 3 month ago. It breaks my heart because some days I just feel like this is me forever. It's very hard to see a way out when you are going through this xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It is hard i get up daily thinking positive then the feelings creep in and i just keep cleaning or keeping busy trying not to let it win but its so exhausting. 

Iv seen quite afew ppl with my symptoms now starting to feel a little easier with my situation still scary though xx

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up